Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder what the actual fuck they have done to creme eggs?

(209 Posts)
M0reGinPlease Wed 27-Mar-19 21:50:13

I mean, first world problems and all that, but why have they ruined creme eggs? Just had one and the chocolate was rank (DH said this was a big thing a few years ago that Cadbury changed the chocolate to make it cheaper and it doesn't taste like dairy milk any more but this clearly passed me by) and the filling was... kinda chewy. I mean, is nothing sacred? Fucking Brexit fucking up our creme eggs.

iolaus Wed 27-Mar-19 22:33:04

As an ardent remainer
It's nothing to do with brexit - it's a LOT to do with the US

M0reGinPlease Wed 27-Mar-19 22:35:14

Shall I edit my title to say 'includes a wholly sarcastic and inaccurate reference to Brexit'?

reallybadidea Wed 27-Mar-19 22:35:39

Aldi version is much nicer

RebootYourEngine Wed 27-Mar-19 22:37:19

Cadburys chocolate is just vile.

If you know it's not a Brexit problem why did you put it in your OP?

NigellaAwesome Wed 27-Mar-19 22:38:35

I agree about Lidl chocolate. Much nicer. You honestly couldn't pay me to eat cadbury's.

Imjusthere Wed 27-Mar-19 22:39:14

Never mind creme eggs, where the hell did galaxy caramel eggs go!!!! None last year and the same this year!!! Absolutely shocking

Yabbers Wed 27-Mar-19 22:39:54

I love them, still.

LaurieMarlow Wed 27-Mar-19 22:40:52

Agree about Aldi. Also Green and Blacks all the way.

LHMB Wed 27-Mar-19 22:56:00

I haven't had a creme egg for years, didn't realize they have changed, but dairy milk still tastes the same to me

MerryBerryCheesecake Wed 27-Mar-19 23:01:11

Creme Eggs ruined, Galaxy Truffle Egg long gone.

The things I'd do for a Galaxy Truffle Egg, not even the mini ones have been in the Celebrations for years.

Bastards, can't leave bugger all alone.

Even my beloved Weetabix (plain and sometimes banana) have been full of horrible rock hard lumps lately and the golden syrup ones have disappeared completely. They were very far in date.
Is 'stale as fuck" a variety now?
As I say....bastards

TheYoungOffendersMum Wed 27-Mar-19 23:07:15

I still prefer Cadburys to other brands.

But I didn't know about the palm oil. I feel awful now. FFS.

Soscaredtohavesmeartest Wed 27-Mar-19 23:10:56

Sonicknuckles
I still eat them. I have to have one every day when they are in the shops.

Soscaredtohavesmeartest Wed 27-Mar-19 23:17:54

Tastes like Hershey's chocolate? No way. Hershey's is truly disgusting.

I have to buy creme eggs as Cadbury's is very close to me so I feel it's my duty to support the local economy. grin

springbreak3 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:31:08

I actually like them still and think they taste nice. smile

Some chocolate has gone to shit now. Milk Tray and Dairy Box and even Thorntons... Smarties and Rolos and kitkats don't taste like they used to either. As has been said, it's the use of palm oil. (And this is also the reason it's kinda slimy!)

Cadbury's Dairy Milk is still nice, and twirl, and suchlike.

Papergirl1968 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:35:29

I still love creme eggs, and can't really tell that Cadbury's chocolate has changed over the years. It's never been my favourite chocolate though. I prefer galaxy or Lindt.
I've had the occasional creme egg where the filling is a bit...I don't know...not exactly chewy but different to normal.
Still disposed of in about two bites grin

Papergirl1968 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:38:02

Ohhh yes, galaxy caramel eggs were nice! I didn't realise they'd disappeared.
I used to love M&S mini eggs but I don't know what they've done to them as I don't like them much now.
I do like Cadbury mini eggs more than I used to though. Strange.

Matilda2013 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:48:27

Honestly was the chocolate a little cracked? That’s what makes the inside go chewy. If you get a non-cracked one it’s still creamy.

Tixywixy Wed 27-Mar-19 23:48:54

Absolutely right OP they've obviously gone for the cheap ingredients option and it tastes like disgusting American chocolate now.

I only eat Lindt or similar good quality chocolate now.

Spartak Wed 27-Mar-19 23:54:20

I tried a coconut Ritter Sport from Spar the other day. It was really good. They sell them in Lidl for 99p.

Wannabeyorkshirelass Thu 28-Mar-19 00:00:12

The fact that they're still making them out of this vile muck despite the huge public outcry shows me that Cadburys don't give a fuck about their customers or their history and heritage. Thats why I refuse to buy from them now.

Wannabeyorkshirelass Thu 28-Mar-19 00:00:43

It's also much much smaller. There's photo evidence all over the place and yet they still lie and deny this.

puppy23 Thu 28-Mar-19 00:02:42

I didn't know they used palm oil, there's something else to avoid. I'd hoped companieswould start removing it after the publicity of the Iceland ad etc but evidently not...

SapphireSeptember Thu 28-Mar-19 00:23:09

Wait, Aldi do their own version of Creme Eggs? There is a Goddess! I loved their mini eggs from last year, so I'm hoping they're back again this year.

Sainsbury's are getting better RE palm oil use, this is the first time in years I've been able to buy hot cross buns, as their TTD ones are free of it, last Xmas both Tesco Finest and TTD mince pies were both free of it. M&S caught me out because their hot cross buns do contain it but it's right near the bottom of the ingredients list, so I scanned the list, missed it and bought them. <sigh> It was such a small amount I don't know why they needed to use it in the first place! (And then I felt guilty because I'd eaten them.) And Tesco Finest hot cross buns still have it in.

SrSteveOskowski Thu 28-Mar-19 00:26:08

@LaurieMarlow, unfortunately Green & Black is now part of Cadbury/Mondelez too.
Lindt lindor balls also contain palm oil
Lidl and Aldi is definitely the best place to go for chocolate now. Still free of palm oil. For the moment anyway sad

StrawberrySquash Thu 28-Mar-19 00:34:00

Some of the new G&B products are horribly greasy. Yeah, I've mostly stopped bothering with crème eggs. They're not horrible, but underwhelming.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »