Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder what the actual fuck they have done to creme eggs?

(209 Posts)
M0reGinPlease Wed 27-Mar-19 21:50:13

I mean, first world problems and all that, but why have they ruined creme eggs? Just had one and the chocolate was rank (DH said this was a big thing a few years ago that Cadbury changed the chocolate to make it cheaper and it doesn't taste like dairy milk any more but this clearly passed me by) and the filling was... kinda chewy. I mean, is nothing sacred? Fucking Brexit fucking up our creme eggs.

12thofnever Wed 27-Mar-19 21:52:59

Never experienced a chewy filling... Maybe it was a bit old

Somerford Wed 27-Mar-19 21:53:19

We have this exact same thread every two or three days on here. Palm oil, artificial sweeteners. It isn't a new development

Xmasbaby11 Wed 27-Mar-19 21:54:49

I know, they are rubbish these days. I had one today against my better judgement .. so disappinting!

nutsfornutella Wed 27-Mar-19 21:59:48

It's not because of Brexit - it's because a US company (Kraft Foods?) owns Cadbury's.

nutsfornutella Wed 27-Mar-19 22:00:09

... and they use palm oil.

WrongKindOfFace Wed 27-Mar-19 22:02:18

Yep, they’re now horrible. I used to eat about thirty million and now just don’t bother to even eat one.

BillywigSting Wed 27-Mar-19 22:04:44

Yep they are really gross now.

Probably for the best for my waistline mind you. I don't have the metabolism for 20+ crème eggs over Easter

SosigDog Wed 27-Mar-19 22:05:31

They’re horrible. I don’t touch them any more. DM has bought some for DS for Easter and they’ll be going in the bin when she’s not looking.

LaurieMarlow Wed 27-Mar-19 22:06:06

They’ve cost engineered the shit out of it. They’re ruined and there’s no point in buying them any more.

Pumperthepumper Wed 27-Mar-19 22:09:38

They’re horrible now, greasy chocolate and horrible grainy, claggy insides 🤮

M0reGinPlease Wed 27-Mar-19 22:10:32

@nutsfornutella thanks, I am aware that of the many disastrous results of Brexit, the formulation of creme eggs is not actually one of them.

ScruffGin Wed 27-Mar-19 22:10:52

I used to love them as well, but haven't bothered in a couple of years, they're rank now!

M0reGinPlease Wed 27-Mar-19 22:11:21

They’re horrible now, greasy chocolate and horrible grainy, claggy insides

Yes! 'Claggy' is the perfect way to describe them.

Sonicknuckles Wed 27-Mar-19 22:14:30

Oh dear. Am I the only one who still eats them?

Alarae Wed 27-Mar-19 22:14:39

Basically when they were bought out they changed the recipe. I believe they don't use milk anymore, but milk powder, which is why it doesn't taste creamy anymore.

My OH works for Mondelez that owns Cadbury. He said the company culture has gone downhill like the chocolate.

WhiskersPete Wed 27-Mar-19 22:14:43

All Cadbury chocolate is rank now. Waxy, sickly and full of palm oil.

DropZoneOne Wed 27-Mar-19 22:16:48

The chocolate changed a few years back and Kraft claimed they'd never been labelled as dairy milk just generic Cadbury chocolate. Always tasted like dairy milk though. I used to eat loads of them, haven't bothered for about 3 years, and haven't had any Cadbury chocolate at all this year because it's all horrid.

Wrybread Wed 27-Mar-19 22:19:07

I have it from a Cadbury source that the recipe is back to the one from 5 years ago.

SileneOliveira Wed 27-Mar-19 22:22:10

Nothing to do with Brexit. It's all about the palm oil. I was very excited to win a big tub of Roses in a raffle last week, they were so disgustingly chewy, waxy and downright horrid that the kids got them.

Luckily the shops are full of Lindt chocolate bunnies, which are palm-oil free.

lillymunster Wed 27-Mar-19 22:26:45

I won't eat them any more and I used to love them. I don't like Dairy Milk any more and it used to be my favourite. I wish companies wouldn't change recipes like this. I thought it was a result of Cadbury having been bought by a US company who changed the kind of milk they put in the chocolate.

anniehm Wed 27-Mar-19 22:26:46

The chocolate now tastes like Hershey's, it's revolting

MoaningMinniee Wed 27-Mar-19 22:27:09

There are lots of things that have gone wrong recently and some of them are to do with Brexit, but Cadbury's Chocolate being disgusting really isn't one of them. An American corporation is the culprit for this particular bit of destruction of our heritage and has been for some years now.

Jamie Cadbury, great grandson of the original, and now nothing to do with the company as it got sold while he was still at school, does wonderful chocolate on line or via Waitrose under the tag Love Cocoa. Very expensive though.

<
Meanwhile Lidl own brand is rather yummy and palm oil free. And much cheaper. Just saying...

AspergersMum Wed 27-Mar-19 22:30:28

The chocolate is so hard, a real tooth-breaker. No thank you.

M0reGinPlease Wed 27-Mar-19 22:31:22

I know it's not really to do with bloody Brexit!!!!

iolaus Wed 27-Mar-19 22:33:04

As an ardent remainer
It's nothing to do with brexit - it's a LOT to do with the US

M0reGinPlease Wed 27-Mar-19 22:35:14

Shall I edit my title to say 'includes a wholly sarcastic and inaccurate reference to Brexit'?

reallybadidea Wed 27-Mar-19 22:35:39

Aldi version is much nicer

RebootYourEngine Wed 27-Mar-19 22:37:19

Cadburys chocolate is just vile.

If you know it's not a Brexit problem why did you put it in your OP?

NigellaAwesome Wed 27-Mar-19 22:38:35

I agree about Lidl chocolate. Much nicer. You honestly couldn't pay me to eat cadbury's.

Imjusthere Wed 27-Mar-19 22:39:14

Never mind creme eggs, where the hell did galaxy caramel eggs go!!!! None last year and the same this year!!! Absolutely shocking

Yabbers Wed 27-Mar-19 22:39:54

I love them, still.

LaurieMarlow Wed 27-Mar-19 22:40:52

Agree about Aldi. Also Green and Blacks all the way.

LHMB Wed 27-Mar-19 22:56:00

I haven't had a creme egg for years, didn't realize they have changed, but dairy milk still tastes the same to me

MerryBerryCheesecake Wed 27-Mar-19 23:01:11

Creme Eggs ruined, Galaxy Truffle Egg long gone.

The things I'd do for a Galaxy Truffle Egg, not even the mini ones have been in the Celebrations for years.

Bastards, can't leave bugger all alone.

Even my beloved Weetabix (plain and sometimes banana) have been full of horrible rock hard lumps lately and the golden syrup ones have disappeared completely. They were very far in date.
Is 'stale as fuck" a variety now?
As I say....bastards

TheYoungOffendersMum Wed 27-Mar-19 23:07:15

I still prefer Cadburys to other brands.

But I didn't know about the palm oil. I feel awful now. FFS.

Soscaredtohavesmeartest Wed 27-Mar-19 23:10:56

Sonicknuckles
I still eat them. I have to have one every day when they are in the shops.

Soscaredtohavesmeartest Wed 27-Mar-19 23:17:54

Tastes like Hershey's chocolate? No way. Hershey's is truly disgusting.

I have to buy creme eggs as Cadbury's is very close to me so I feel it's my duty to support the local economy. grin

springbreak3 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:31:08

I actually like them still and think they taste nice. smile

Some chocolate has gone to shit now. Milk Tray and Dairy Box and even Thorntons... Smarties and Rolos and kitkats don't taste like they used to either. As has been said, it's the use of palm oil. (And this is also the reason it's kinda slimy!)

Cadbury's Dairy Milk is still nice, and twirl, and suchlike.

Papergirl1968 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:35:29

I still love creme eggs, and can't really tell that Cadbury's chocolate has changed over the years. It's never been my favourite chocolate though. I prefer galaxy or Lindt.
I've had the occasional creme egg where the filling is a bit...I don't know...not exactly chewy but different to normal.
Still disposed of in about two bites grin

Papergirl1968 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:38:02

Ohhh yes, galaxy caramel eggs were nice! I didn't realise they'd disappeared.
I used to love M&S mini eggs but I don't know what they've done to them as I don't like them much now.
I do like Cadbury mini eggs more than I used to though. Strange.

Matilda2013 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:48:27

Honestly was the chocolate a little cracked? That’s what makes the inside go chewy. If you get a non-cracked one it’s still creamy.

Tixywixy Wed 27-Mar-19 23:48:54

Absolutely right OP they've obviously gone for the cheap ingredients option and it tastes like disgusting American chocolate now.

I only eat Lindt or similar good quality chocolate now.

Spartak Wed 27-Mar-19 23:54:20

I tried a coconut Ritter Sport from Spar the other day. It was really good. They sell them in Lidl for 99p.

Wannabeyorkshirelass Thu 28-Mar-19 00:00:12

The fact that they're still making them out of this vile muck despite the huge public outcry shows me that Cadburys don't give a fuck about their customers or their history and heritage. Thats why I refuse to buy from them now.

Wannabeyorkshirelass Thu 28-Mar-19 00:00:43

It's also much much smaller. There's photo evidence all over the place and yet they still lie and deny this.

puppy23 Thu 28-Mar-19 00:02:42

I didn't know they used palm oil, there's something else to avoid. I'd hoped companieswould start removing it after the publicity of the Iceland ad etc but evidently not...

SapphireSeptember Thu 28-Mar-19 00:23:09

Wait, Aldi do their own version of Creme Eggs? There is a Goddess! I loved their mini eggs from last year, so I'm hoping they're back again this year.

Sainsbury's are getting better RE palm oil use, this is the first time in years I've been able to buy hot cross buns, as their TTD ones are free of it, last Xmas both Tesco Finest and TTD mince pies were both free of it. M&S caught me out because their hot cross buns do contain it but it's right near the bottom of the ingredients list, so I scanned the list, missed it and bought them. <sigh> It was such a small amount I don't know why they needed to use it in the first place! (And then I felt guilty because I'd eaten them.) And Tesco Finest hot cross buns still have it in.

SrSteveOskowski Thu 28-Mar-19 00:26:08

@LaurieMarlow, unfortunately Green & Black is now part of Cadbury/Mondelez too.
Lindt lindor balls also contain palm oil
Lidl and Aldi is definitely the best place to go for chocolate now. Still free of palm oil. For the moment anyway sad

StrawberrySquash Thu 28-Mar-19 00:34:00

Some of the new G&B products are horribly greasy. Yeah, I've mostly stopped bothering with crème eggs. They're not horrible, but underwhelming.

quizqueen Thu 28-Mar-19 00:34:49

Many companies have already been bought up by others and abandoned our shores while we have STILL been members of the EU. Please remember that, if we ever have a real Brexit, when you blame the fact that the UK has left the EU for some companies going out of business!

iwantatattoo Thu 28-Mar-19 00:34:56

Are mini creme eggs also ruined? And mini eggs?

Margot33 Thu 28-Mar-19 00:38:19

I tried one of the kids Cadbury chocolate freddo a few days ago, it was disgusting! I wondered mid chew whether to spit it out or carry on! I've bought a big box of creme eggs for Easter...not looking forward to those now 😂

FuckYouRichardParker Thu 28-Mar-19 00:50:39

I heard from an industry source that the recipe hasn't changed, the shape of the chunk in the bar has changed. Apparently it's all to do with the mouth feel.

Duster12 Thu 28-Mar-19 00:56:53

Claggy eggs 🤢

shiveringtimber Thu 28-Mar-19 01:01:50

It's bloody Mondelez! Even Toblerones have been ruined by this wretched company.

iwantatattoo Thu 28-Mar-19 01:04:00

Toblerones taste the same to me.

PregnantSea Thu 28-Mar-19 01:22:33

Really surprised at the amount of people thinking OP was being serious when she said Brexit was ruining creme eggs lol

shiveringtimber Thu 28-Mar-19 01:32:24

Nope. Toblerones are now sickly sweet and oily. The chocolate doesn't snap, the distinctive taste has gone.sad

Halo84 Thu 28-Mar-19 01:42:48

I was addicted to Cadbury cream eggs. They definitely did change. Haven’t had one in a few years.

M0reGinPlease Thu 28-Mar-19 06:37:18

Thanks @PregnantSea 🙌

Wrybread Thu 28-Mar-19 06:45:06

They changed but then there were so many complaints that they went back to the previous recipe a year or so ago.

The Cadbury source gets quite worked up when people say that the recipe has changed because everyone seemed to notice the first change but not that it's changed back again.

MaroonFlame Thu 28-Mar-19 06:47:28

All chocolate and fizzy drinks taste horrible now and I hate it. I really liked energy drinks as I don’t drink coffee or tea and now they’ve ruined them all. Thanks Britain! I now have to get American imports if I want the real deal. Maybe Australian Cadbury’s could be better?

sailorsdelight Thu 28-Mar-19 06:49:08

They changed them to be more paletable for yanks. They’re chocolate is different to ours, always tastes ‘off’ to me. Can’t stand Hershey’s!

Bleary3000 Thu 28-Mar-19 06:51:30

Yanbu, they are wrecked - gross choc and chewy insides

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Thu 28-Mar-19 06:51:42

They haven’t messed with the G and B 85 per cent yet but I have no doubt they will.

How does mondelez still use palm oil?!

Are they the most hated company in Britain after sports direct?

vampirethriller Thu 28-Mar-19 07:14:53

I can't taste a differenceblush

Nannewnannew Thu 28-Mar-19 07:25:09

Nor can I vampire ! 🙄

Worried2019 Thu 28-Mar-19 07:48:01

They changed but then there were so many complaints that they went back to the previous recipe a year or so ago.

The Cadbury source gets quite worked up when people say that the recipe has changed because everyone seemed to notice the first change but not that it's changed back again.

Worried2019 Thu 28-Mar-19 07:48:56

^ Repost from PP

Halo84 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:02:59

:*@MaroonFlame*:

You could try Arbonne fizzy drinks. They only sell apple in the U.K. They are natural so a bit pricey.

www.arbonne.com/PWS/homeoffice/store/AMUK/product/Energy-Fizz-Sticks-Green-Apple-2110,13191.aspx

Carrielou87 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:10:12

I've had a couple of galaxy caramel eggs this year- bought in a BP garage I think. I hated the new creme egg recipe when it changed but I think I'm used to it now. They are a lot smaller then they used to be though so I always have to have two at a time now !

Unfinishedkitchen Thu 28-Mar-19 08:12:44

YABU to eat any Cadbury chocolate. It’s all rank and cheap and nasty tasting.

b0bb1n Thu 28-Mar-19 08:13:15

Oh no I've not had a creme egg for a while but now I don't know if I dare to sad (am craving one now tho)

AnnaNutherThing Thu 28-Mar-19 08:13:22

It's been going on for a few years.

How to take a good range of products and trash 'em.

cantbearsed1 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:24:02

Sorry I don't believe they went back to the original recipe. The ingredients still include palm oil, they did not used to.
Cadbury's seem to believe that if they say enough the recipe is the same as it used to be, we will somehow ignore the evidence of our own tastebuds.
They were never good quality chocolate, but they are utter shite now.

SileneOliveira Thu 28-Mar-19 08:26:13

Sorry Wrybread but your Cadbury source is talking out of their arse. Their creme eggs still contain palm oil.

www.cadbury.co.uk/products/cadbury-creme-egg-11467

Even if they have reverted to using dairy milk for the chocolate shell it makes no difference, as Dairy Milk is packed with palm oil too. It's not the shape of the bar. It's the ingredients. Palm oil is cheap muck which makes the chocolate taste like cheap muck.

It is a total scandal but Cadbury - or their parent company - don't give a shit. And people still buy it because it's a familiar, well loved brand.

Chocolatecoffeeaddict Thu 28-Mar-19 08:31:26

They still taste nice to me but I can taste the difference and they are not as special anymore. The chocolate used to be so much creamier and thicker but now it's thin.

cheeseandpineapple Thu 28-Mar-19 08:31:32

I had a crème egg last week and it tasted “normal” to me but seeing the list of ingredients puts me off having any more.

Do Lidl do their own version of crème eggs??

AnnaNutherThing Thu 28-Mar-19 08:33:54

There was always a difference between the UK mass market chocolate with its vegetable oil ( pre palm oil) but it was nice to me in its own way

It's patently obvious that the chocolate has changed!

AnnaNutherThing Thu 28-Mar-19 08:35:09

They can " truthfully" say that the recipe contains the same proportion of vegetable oil and so is the same recipe I guess.

Shazafied Thu 28-Mar-19 08:37:59

Is there any chocolate that’s still nice ?

cantbearsed1 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:39:20

Okay, so being legally truthful, but still lying in reality.
It tastes different, nothing to do with the shape. It was already cheap chocolate, the changes have pushed it over to shite chocolate.
Sure some people still like it and eat it, but the press is full of articles about how sales of creme eggs have dramatically dropped. So many people no longer like them.
Cadbury's, in reality, have pissed away a much-loved brand that they have spent a lot of money advertising over the years. Crazy behaviour.

SileneOliveira Thu 28-Mar-19 08:41:05

Is there any chocolate that’s still nice ?

Well obviously my idea of "nice" might not be your idea of nice but there are still some chocolate brands around without palm oil. Lindt bunnies and bars - but not the filled ones as the filling has palm oil. Aldi Moser Roth. Ritter Sport - but again not the ones with fillings. Divine chocolate is lovely, they sell it in Waitrose and Oxfam shops.

You just have to accept that in order to get better chocolate, you have to pay a little more. And avoid the mass market stuff by Mars, Cadbury and Nestle.

AnnaNutherThing Thu 28-Mar-19 08:43:32

I've just googled and they did take palm oil out of dairy milk bars at one point.

If it's still out, what is still making it rank? The last Cadbury I tried was from my kids egg shells last Easter so I've not bought a bar in years. The shell tasted awful by the way.

cantbearsed1 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:48:03

Anna When I google it says dairy milk has palm oil in it? Maybe at one point it was simply labelled as vegetable fats?

SileneOliveira Thu 28-Mar-19 08:48:11

Anna - a quick google would tell you that there is most definitely still palm oil in dairy milk. This information is out there, not difficult to find at all.

www.cadbury.co.uk/products/cadbury-dairy-milk-11294

INGREDIENTS
MILK**, sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, vegetable fats (palm, shea), emulsifiers (E442, E476), flavourings.

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Thu 28-Mar-19 08:51:55

I think I saw a creme egg type thing in Aldi the other week but I don’t think they cover themselves in glory in terms of palm oil either

Thanks for the link to Love Cocoa! It looks divine!

cantbearsed1 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:53:28

Sometimes I actually want cheaper style chocolate. I buy the more expensive type, but it is rich tasting, and sometimes I want chocolate that does not taste so rich. That is when I used to buy cadburys, but not any more.

Tonightstheteriyakichicken Thu 28-Mar-19 08:56:50

First Terry's Chocolate Orangeoff the list, now Cadbury creme eggs, woeful.

AnnaNutherThing Thu 28-Mar-19 08:57:16

I was reading an Industry article from a few years back on palm oil use in a range of Cadbury products. They've clearly been tinkering with the recipes on and off.

AnnaNutherThing Thu 28-Mar-19 09:00:29

I was interested in the timeline of the story of the source saying they had removed palm oil rather than wanting a break down of products today.

Silene my internet searching turned up what I was most interested in but thanks for your kind concern!

Elphame Thu 28-Mar-19 09:01:28

There is most definitely palm oil in the Dairy Milk. Here's Cadbury's own ingredient list.

www.cadbury.co.uk/products/cadbury-dairy-milk-11294

I haven't bought any Cadbury products for years now and probably never will again

MrsCasares Thu 28-Mar-19 09:05:20

Have not bought any Cadbury’s products since the hostile takeover by kraft.

Vote with your purses.

AnnaNutherThing Thu 28-Mar-19 09:06:05

Experience is enough to put me off buying their products!

Bookworm01 Thu 28-Mar-19 09:10:01

We are trying to reduce palm oil usage at home but we are very fond of chocolate and snacks...90% of our favourites contain palm oil. All Cadburys Mcvitie's and Oreos...and a lot more besides. It's in Sainsbury's puddings (Sainsbury's being our local supermarket) and bread, and cakes even sodding ice cream...it goes on and on. If nothing else, we have reduced our snack intake shock which is no bad thing. Our bodies will be grateful for it. I think eventually we'll cut it all out, and spend the snack budget on posher bread and choccies.

Checking out the Easter eggs in Sainsbury's last week, even the posh brands had some palm oil or palm fat in them. You have to keep a beady eye out. Sainsbury's stock Montezuma's and Buttermilk vegan eggs, both palm oil free.

RickOShay Thu 28-Mar-19 09:10:52

Green and black milk chocolate is truly lovely.
Co op fair trade also pretty good.
No longer buy Cadbury.

zoellafortitude Thu 28-Mar-19 09:11:22

It's bloody BrEGGxit, innit?!

MoreVelmaThanDaphne Thu 28-Mar-19 09:11:26

I think the change in Dairy Milk taste wasn't just down to palm oil - although that definitely did make it claggy and horrible - I read that Cadbury used to use a different manufacturing process which caramelised the sugar using specific machinery (insert technical term here) which is the thing that used to give Dairy Milk that distinctive rich taste unique to itself. When the company first changed hands it was deemed too expensive to replicate the worn machinery and so that method of sugar treatment within Dairy Milk ceased and the flavour was never "right" again. I did hear that the Irish Cadbury factory that made Twirls still had its original sugar caramelising machinery and that is why they continued to taste like proper Dairy Milk. Not sure if this is still the case though.

AnnaNutherThing Thu 28-Mar-19 09:13:28

I had heard of the magic Twirls that had somehow escaped the switch!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »