Talk

Advanced search

To think I’m just being sensitive?

(7 Posts)
Rspu1384 Wed 27-Mar-19 19:47:43

I have depression and anxiety, this past week am suffering quite badly with depression. I have phases where I go really downhill for a few days and sometimes a few weeks. My husband knows of this and is supportive but he doesn’t seem as caring this time. I’ve told him I’m feeling depressed and he has said “ you will be ok soon don’t worry” that’s it. I know there’s no magic words but I just feel invisible. Is he being an arse or is it just my depression making me think this way?

mirime Wed 27-Mar-19 19:49:21

A combination perhaps of you being a bit sensitive and him getting a bit blasé?

Thingsdogetbetter Wed 27-Mar-19 19:53:51

When you feel like these bouts coming on, do you do anything to prevent them? Are you on medication or have you asked to for therapy?

Or is it just look for sympathy and support ? If it's just this perhaps he feels like you expect too much without proactively trying to stop them happening again and again?

Aquamarine1029 Wed 27-Mar-19 19:58:05

Everyone has their limits, op. He's a normally supportive husband, but he's not a therapist. What are YOU doing to manage your condition? No matter how supportive he may be, he can't do that for you.

RMogs Wed 27-Mar-19 20:02:59

I suffer from Anxiety and occasional bouts of depression. My DH is lovely, but until he actually ended up suffering depression himself he couldn't understand that it wasn't just a second of telling my head to sort itself out.

It's hard work to be the supporter when a close family member has MH issues, and sometimes it may not seem they are being supportive, but sometimes they just don't get it, and think you are being awkward.

Massive hugs. Are you on medication or CBT etc? Maybe talk to your GP

Cloudyyy Wed 27-Mar-19 20:04:54

You are being unreasonable.

Samind Wed 27-Mar-19 20:05:06

I think maybe he said it cause you come out the other side of it and he knows this and when you feel like that, it's maybe taken the wrong way. Sending love to you OP and hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: