Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think when you are buying a house

(39 Posts)
SilviaSalmon Wed 27-Mar-19 19:12:00

You arrange and pay for:

Any survey, electrical test, central heating test etc.

You do not demand that the seller carry out a whole raft of expensive tests and provide you with the results?

Happy to be corrected, but would like other’s experience.

Hereward1332 Thu 28-Mar-19 10:59:12

If the vendor pays the buyer may have no legal comeback if it turns out the electrics are about to start a fire. The report is normally for the benefit of whoever commissions it only.

MereDintofPandiculation Thu 28-Mar-19 10:35:09

I wouldn't trust a survey produced by the seller, I'd still want to do my own. So to me it make's sense that it's the buyer's responsibility.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 28-Mar-19 10:30:16

House buying is so frustrating! I thought I'd found the ideal house. Totally ready to put an offer in. Needed a bit of cosmetic work that the owner agreed to do for an increased price. All happy. Went back for a second viewing and realised it needed serious work doing. Gutted!

DGRossetti Thu 28-Mar-19 10:21:20

Whatever happened to the law about having to put together a "sellers pack" to avoid successive potential purchasers having to pay for a survey each time ? They crowbarred environmental concerns in there (there's nothing a coat of greenwash can't disguise) to ram it through.

At the time, lawyers pointed out that it would be meaningless to any purchaser, since the "customer" (and thus any obligations on the surveyors part) would be the vendor not the purchaser ????

Imoan123 Thu 28-Mar-19 09:49:00

The seller pays for EPC and then buyers pay for building survey if they want one.

Worried2019 Thu 28-Mar-19 09:28:44

As a tenant of 17 years, I cannot believe all the added costs involved with buying shock I realise it's still a thousand times better sense than renting and is an investment but still - stamp duty? Crazy

Ciasteczka Thu 28-Mar-19 00:30:33

I would expect the seller to provide a copy of an up to date boiler servicing certificate. If it were a recent newbuild (within the last 10 years) they should have all the installation certificates. And am EPC is a legal requirement. Other than that - the buyer can ask, up to the seller what they agree to.

TyrionsNextWife Wed 27-Mar-19 22:15:06

Its so much easier house hunting here in Scotland when you can see the home report up front! When I was looking at houses I saw loads that I liked the look of but didn’t view, because the home report showed issues that I wouldn’t have had the money to deal with - it saved so much time and money.

Susanna30 Wed 27-Mar-19 22:08:41

We bought our house 4.5 years ago and we (the buyers) paid for the survey.
That's normal.

adriennewillfly Wed 27-Mar-19 21:51:22

I'd expect you to have a recent gas safety certificate. But survey, including gas and electrics would otherwise be paid for by the buyer.

MonicaGB Wed 27-Mar-19 21:48:58

Survey is the buyer, but servicing on boilers etc I would expect the vendor to do on an annual basis.

Fluffyears Wed 27-Mar-19 21:46:00

Yep on Scotland the seller arranges a survey. My home report was 12weeks and 2 days old and rye buyers mortgage company made us have a new one as it was over 12 weeks. It was identical to the original report (it was actually better as the first one mentioned mould in the shower sealant and said we should replace the sealant. I sprayed it with mould spray and it disappeared so it wasn’t mentioned 2nd time around) was raging at having to pay again though!

Unihorn Wed 27-Mar-19 21:10:02

I wish we had the same system as Scotland. I lost £400 on a survey plus solicitors searches in December and have only just found a house again now sad

Yabbers Wed 27-Mar-19 21:04:33

Why isn’t this the norm? So much more logical

There used to be all sorts of rules around sharing surveys. Something to do with only providing info to the client. Not sure whether that’s the same still.

Yabbers Wed 27-Mar-19 21:02:35

I believe it's the other way around in Scotland but happy to be corrected!

Home reports still in place in scotland. Survey, is part of it and you have to do an EPC certificate, as well as gas and electric safety certs.

FineFanks Wed 27-Mar-19 21:01:16

the seller should pay for a survey and that's the survey that's valid for the sale.

Such a good idea. I wish that were the way! Would save so many different potential buyers throwing their money away when a survey returns a whole host of issues. Much simpler to just have 1, paid by the seller, so the buyer doesn’t have to risk their own cash.

Why isn’t this the norm? So much more logical

Purpleheadgirl Wed 27-Mar-19 19:57:01

Hoops not books!

Purpleheadgirl Wed 27-Mar-19 19:56:04

When we last moved buyers "made" us jump through so many books it was madness. Final straw was they wanted something extra to do with the fire and weren't going to buy without it- we ended up saying to the estate agents to go back to the other people who had offered a little less and to offer the house to them......estate agents agreed buyers were being unreasonable and in the end the estate agents paid for the extra test to ensure the sale went through!

CheekyChappy710 Wed 27-Mar-19 19:49:02

You can insist on seeing lots of documentation for stuff and demand the sellers provide them I.e service record for boiler or certified check of the boiler by a gas safe engineer BUT the seller could just say "naah" and sell to someone else if you give them a hard time.

mirime Wed 27-Mar-19 19:34:36

We're selling, we were asked when the boiler was last serviced. As it wasn't recent we were asked to get it serviced and we were happy to do so. Wouldn't have considered asking the buyers to pay and we were at fault for falling behind with the servicing anyway.

Survey is up to the buyers, and I think that is right.

Spanglybangles Wed 27-Mar-19 19:32:44

Unless of course it’s Scotland where the seller organised and pays for the home report which contains surveyors report, valuation, seller questionnaire and epc report , but it’s then available for every potential buyer to read, negating the need for surveys by all interested parties.

Of course if a more in depth survey was wanted, such as a full structural survey, the potential buyer should pay for that.

nespressowoo Wed 27-Mar-19 19:32:35

Recently bought. We paid for survey. The gas, fire and electricity checks were paid for by vendors.

blackteasplease Wed 27-Mar-19 19:32:09

In England and Wales yes.

I believe it's the other way around in Scotland but happy to be corrected!

HighlightsandHeels Wed 27-Mar-19 19:30:34

Buyer pays but it would make much more sense if, mortgage survey aside, the seller did.

SingingSands Wed 27-Mar-19 19:27:13

Have you been asked to provide one? We were asked by our Buyers for an electrical survey. I responded with "we don't have one".

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »