Talk

Advanced search

To think this is poor form

(12 Posts)
movinggo Wed 27-Mar-19 18:24:17

So my best friend has told me she won't be getting me a birthday present this year as her boyfriend (of just under a year) has a birthday a week before mine and she can't afford to buy for us both.

We've always bought for each other. I don't expect anything expensive. Some supermarket flowers would do?

She's my (only) bridesmaid in two months time and I'm just a bit taken back!

gamerchick Wed 27-Mar-19 18:25:26

Well just stop the presents completely, sorted.

whifflesqueak Wed 27-Mar-19 18:26:45

Any chance she’s saving up for an amazing wedding present?

Nicknacky Wed 27-Mar-19 18:26:52

I can understand her wanting to buy for her boyfriend. Just agree to stop buying for each other.

Tomtontom Wed 27-Mar-19 18:27:20

I'm with gamer, there's no need to buy presents for each other. And if she can't afford it then that's fair enough, a present for her partner is more important.

Ohyesiam Wed 27-Mar-19 18:27:30

That is pants.
Presents don’t need to cost a lot. Was she embarrassed?

SquigglySquaw Wed 27-Mar-19 18:27:51

I mean it's pretty shitty but is it worth falling out over? How old is she? I remember being young and in love and it can make you selfish but it soon wears off😏just don't get her anything for her next birthday?

movinggo Wed 27-Mar-19 18:30:33

I never considered the wedding thing!

And no she wasn't embarrassed haha. She just came out with it..

She's 32..

And I understand it's not a requirement or anything but IMO it's nice to buy for your best friends birthday, especially when it's something you've always done

movinggo Wed 27-Mar-19 18:30:57

And no. I won't be falling out with her. I was just asking for an opinion

NWQM Wed 27-Mar-19 18:32:39

It's a bit of a tick that she has been honest and told you. I'd be more inclined to be hurt if she doesn't get in touch to wish you HB on the day.

RMogs Wed 27-Mar-19 18:34:03

I rarely buy for any of my 3 best friends - in fact I don't think I have in over 10 years since leaving uni and living in the same county/country.

Now we just enjoy the chance to possibly get together without children for a few drinks.

But then I have never really been that fussed by gifts...a text or card to say happy birthday, I remembered and thinking of you means more.

At least she's giving you warning so you don't just not get anything and wonder if you have offended her somehow.

movinggo Wed 27-Mar-19 18:34:23

Thanks @NWQM that's a very good point too smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: