Talk

Advanced search

I know IABU but reassure me

(23 Posts)
mirime Wed 27-Mar-19 15:20:15

DS had to have a GA for stitches after he fell and cut himself. He was absolutely fine, if very cross when he woke up.

I think DH and I were in a worse state!

AdamNichol Wed 27-Mar-19 15:02:46

DS had GA for hydorcele repair at age 5. Was all fine. Sitting up eating fish fingers and chips in no time.

I had all 4 Wisdoms out (+one other) under GA a few years back. Mouth very sore after, but it was the dry throat that really got me. Never felt anything like it. Just advising to be on hand with cool water as soon as its permitted. It didn't last as a symptom.

I found being under GA hilarious. I knew what to expect, but figured I'd get a bit further down the ol' count-from-10 bit; but it was: ok...10...9...Fuck, I'm awake again.

Gilbert1A Wed 27-Mar-19 14:56:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lovemusic33 Wed 27-Mar-19 14:55:17

It will be fine.

My dd had her baby teeth taken out at 8 under GA, got myself worked up over it. She copes really well and came around really quickly and demanded we go home, she has ASD so I was extra worried about the change in routine and recovery. She’s going back in soon to have a couple adult teeth taken out and I’m not as stressed this time, this will be her 3rd GA.

BettyDuMonde Wed 27-Mar-19 14:50:42

My daughter had a GA a couple of weeks ago to remove her Hickman line.
It was a day case admission and a lot of the other kids on the short stay ward were there recovering from anaesthetic after tooth extraction.

We had to stay a bit longer than the tooth patients so we watched lots of them come back, act hilariously squiffy for a bit, drink an NHS milkshake through a straw and then go home.

He’ll be fine and so will you x

Gilbert1A Wed 27-Mar-19 14:41:21

MuddlingThroughLife Wed 27-Mar-19 14:40:03

GA's are very safe these days. My DS had around 8 or 9 GA's in the space of about 10 months. His main op lasted 7 and half hours. He was fine after all the GA's.

Chinks123 Wed 27-Mar-19 14:37:14

My dd is having GA for a tooth out soon and I’m dreading it. They tried to remove the tooth with a local and she absolutely freaked out, so I know she’s going to hate going to hospital and being put under.. she only 5 and I’m pregnant and hormonal so crying at the drop of a hat. Thankfully dp has taken the day off work to be there.

Disturbedone Wed 27-Mar-19 14:36:40

Oh lovely, my son is having his tonsils out soon as they are huge and cause him terrible sleep apnea and speech problems which doesn't help his aspergers! It is scary, but try and remember this:
They don't do this unnecessarily. The risks and benefits will have been weighed up intricately. If his teeth were safer to stay there, they would leave well alone as the cost alone is massive. They will do a pre Op assessment and if they are worried in the SLIGHTEST, the operation won't go ahead. Just try and focus on the outcome which will be good.
Obviously things do go wrong sometimes but it's very very unlikely or they wouldn't offer the operation in the first place xxx

Gilbert1A Wed 27-Mar-19 14:31:27

Gilbert1A Wed 27-Mar-19 14:27:20

GreatDuckCookery6211 Wed 27-Mar-19 14:25:28

You poor thing, of course you’re going to be scared. He will be fine, do you have someone going with you for support?

EstrellaDamn Wed 27-Mar-19 14:24:50

My son (6) is having a tooth out soon and the way they described it to him, it sounded like a mild sedative. They'd numb his gum and he'd feel a bit funny, sort of thing. No mention of being totally knocked out (which I was but that was in the 80s).

Gilbert1A Wed 27-Mar-19 14:23:19

Coffeeonthesofa Wed 27-Mar-19 14:23:10

My oldest had to have a tooth out under GA. I was there when he was put under and there when he woke up.
He had a weird reaction to the drug and woke up thrashing about being very agitated, he was fine afterwards and didn’t even remember it. I was told this is a relatively common occurrence in children. I only mention it so that if it happens to your child you don’t worry.

princesspuds2004 Wed 27-Mar-19 14:21:14

My DD is now 14 and has had 28 operations with her first being at 19 hours old and the last one back in January.
As other posters have said, your DC is in the best place and it is truly worse for the parents dealing with it rather than the kids having it.
flowers

Order654 Wed 27-Mar-19 14:19:28

My son has the same thing and he’s severely Autistic so didn’t even understand what was happening to him.

He was absolutely fine. First time GA for him too. flowers

Gilbert1A Wed 27-Mar-19 14:17:35

ScatteredMama82 Wed 27-Mar-19 14:15:48

I had GA for teeth out when I was 8/9 (twice), and that was 30 years ago! Things have advanced a lot since then, they will take very good care of him and it will only take a few minutes. Big hugs, I understand why you are worried but it will be fine xxx

BlackSatinDancer Wed 27-Mar-19 14:15:11

Your worry is understandable but even if your DC does have an adverse reaction to the GA, they will be in the best place for it to be dealt with.

Travis1 Wed 27-Mar-19 14:14:46

I had 10(yes that's right 10!) teeth removed under GA as a child. Still here, had to undergo it twice because they couldn't do them all at once. My mouth was a bugs bunny mess!I survived(obvs) felt very sorry for myself for a few days but enjoyed the ice cream and ice poles I was given because I couldn't eat major solid food.

Get him his favourite soft foods in for tomorrow night and give him big squishes. He'll be fine xx

RickOShay Wed 27-Mar-19 14:13:57

flowers He will be fine sweetheart.
They know what they are doing, he will be just fine.

Gilbert1A Wed 27-Mar-19 14:12:03

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »