Talk

Advanced search

I'm about to give birth and were going to lose our home

(228 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Worriedmumof2dc Wed 27-Mar-19 11:59:44

DP has just been informed that his hours are being hugely reduced at work. He's on a 30 hour contract but has been working 55 hours a week for the past two years since he was hired. The understanding was that the 55 hours would be standard and consistent, so not to worry about what the contract says as he will always have the 55 hours. The company is a disgrace in how it treats its employees but that's another thread.

This company branch has a new manager who has now decided to reduce him to just his contracted hours to save money, he's forced to accept that as per the terms in the original contract.

The problem is his amended wage won't cover our outgoings. We will lose our home eventually, we are safe for another month and a half maximum by which point we will have a baby of a couple of weeks old. I'm at home with a 15 month old and am about to give birth to our second in less than a month so the timing couldn't be worse. I can't realistically go back to work yet and by the time I can, we'll owe the landlord alot of money in arrears.

My hands are tied as to what I can do to help, I feel useless. We have no savings and no family help. I'm worried we will lose our home. It's inevitable isn't it.

He's applying like a mad man for every job he can find, but we're worried.

I can't claim benefits because he works and even with the amended wage will earn over the threshold in which we'd be eligible for anything, despite the lower wage not being enough to cover the costs of living in our London flat.

We have no savings sad

Please somebody tell me that we can't be made homeless with a newborn and toddler. I'm scared.

Climbingahoneytree Wed 27-Mar-19 12:01:59

I don't know what to suggest but it might be worth contacting your local council for advice (housing?) and also citizens advice.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Wed 27-Mar-19 12:04:31

Go over to employment law board - becaue if the TOcs are standard and consistend for 2 years i think (only think) thats enforcable .... but I do only 'think' not know.

Union? Im guessing not?
HR? go over the managers head?
Any possibility of evening bar work - not ideal but it might plug a gap in finances.

Sorry you are being faced with this.

Worriedmumof2dc Wed 27-Mar-19 12:04:35

I'm going to go into the council tomorrow for advice. I don't think we could claim housing benefit as it stands though.

GoosetheCat Wed 27-Mar-19 12:04:44

I agree with po, CBA are brilliant and have always pointed me in the right direction. Sorry you're going through this flowers

Prequelle Wed 27-Mar-19 12:05:10

If worse comes to worse, you do not have to leave. Your landlord will start eviction proceedings which buys you time. It's not the best of situation and not good for the landlord but it gives you time.

It would be worth talking to your LL first if you're on good terms to see if there's anything they can do?

Worriedmumof2dc Wed 27-Mar-19 12:05:56

He's part of a union, will tell him to speak with them and see what they say.

He's happy to take a second job if he can find one that fits in around the new hours which he'll be made aware of next week

RidiculousFoodBills Wed 27-Mar-19 12:06:22

How much are you going to be short?
If it's few hundred, I am sure someone here will come up with some ideas how to balance it out. MN crowd has a lots of wisdom when it comes to budgeting.

I second what @Climbingahoneytree said. Contact CAB and council.

Worriedmumof2dc Wed 27-Mar-19 12:07:07

Landlord is lovely so I feel awful for him too. He's not the sort to give marching orders, I wouldn't have thought anyway.

The problem is he's a buy to let landlord and only has this one property which he relies on the income of sad

Worriedmumof2dc Wed 27-Mar-19 12:08:40

DPs current take home after tax is 1.5k because he earns a premium wage by doing night shift. When his hours change (to day shift) he will be making just under 1k a month after tax.

Our rent alone is 1k and that's without bills

Worriedmumof2dc Wed 27-Mar-19 12:09:50

We're already far from well off but have managed, just about.

The new managers decisions have taken us from "just getting by" to practically destitute sad

Seniorschoolmum Wed 27-Mar-19 12:10:42

has 30 hours a week, and could supplement that with a second job.

Can you look for somewhere less expensive to live? What economies can you make? An almost 50% reduction in income is pretty significant.

Settlersofcatan Wed 27-Mar-19 12:11:24

Is your DP in a union? Might be worth taking their advice, if so

Prequelle Wed 27-Mar-19 12:11:49

I think you should get legal advice because surely after 2 years it becomes some sort of implied contract (not sure if there's a legal term)

indecis Wed 27-Mar-19 12:12:36

Once he's been doing the new hours for a certain amount of time (check with his union) it becomes an implied term in his contract - however, as far as I'm aware the employer can reduce contracted hours if there's a business related reason for doing so. Ring ACAS, they're usually quite helpful!

Worriedmumof2dc Wed 27-Mar-19 12:12:51

Moving now would be impossible due to not having the upfront costs required, it cost over two thousand to get into where we are now and we just don't have that upfront again at this moment in time, the rent alone would be a struggle.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Wed 27-Mar-19 12:13:02

Supermarket shelf stacking over night ?

Your union is your best bet

TBH I've never found CAB helpful, and I never recommend them at work.

NoWayNoHow Wed 27-Mar-19 12:14:16

Defnitely go to Employment boards rather than here. I may be wrong, but I think that if he's been working those hours consistently for as long as he has, those are implied T&CS and he may have recourse to force the issue so the arrangement continues, or at least find middle ground/extension to the change so you can make reasonable adjustments for budgeting.

hannah1992 Wed 27-Mar-19 12:14:53

You are defientley entitled to benefits with a wage of less that 1k a month and two children. I would recheck that

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Wed 27-Mar-19 12:15:11

Are you sure you won't be entitled to anything (HB/UC etc)? As a LP of just one child in London I got a bit of HB to help with the rent when my take home pay was quite a bit more than £1k. This is about 2-3 years ago btw not ages ago in some welfare state golden era!

OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 27-Mar-19 12:15:45

Not to nitpik your finances OP- so sorry for the stress you are under. But you have £500 every month for council tax, bills and food for three of you? Do you have any other income?

BlooperReel Wed 27-Mar-19 12:15:47

If he has been doing those hours consistently for 2 years and can prove that (shift rotas, messages on his weekly hours etc) then the terms are implied, including the associated wage, challenge it, get advice from Citizens Advice and an employment lawyer if at all possible.

Worriedmumof2dc Wed 27-Mar-19 12:16:17

I'm going to relay everything on this thread thank you so much for the advice.

He's in bed now sleeping off the night shift after spending hours applying for everything he can find. He feels like he's failed us, I've been in tears, for him but also for the future.

The new management wants to get rid of night shifts to save on the budget as night staff receive a premium wage. They don't give two hoots about the implications on staff or their families.

Luella29 Wed 27-Mar-19 12:18:29

Take a look at this link. I'm no expert but it looks like you could qualify for child tax credits. www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/child-tax-credit#child-tax-credit-income-limits

LagunaBubbles Wed 27-Mar-19 12:18:30

Are you sure as a family you won't be entitled to claim any benefits on his lower wage?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »