Talk

Advanced search

To think dd should go to a and e?

(109 Posts)
Fazackerley Wed 27-Mar-19 11:37:26

She fell off her horse on Saturday. Has lots of brusing around ribs. Was checked over by paramedics and can walk.

It's a few days later and she can walk with difficulty and has sharp pains in her hips and spine. She can't bend over.

I rang the gp on her behalf and they said go to a and e.

But she's refusing. She's 19 so I can't make her! She wants to wait until the weekend and not clutter up a and e.

Wwyd?

Ragnarthe Wed 27-Mar-19 11:40:53

A&E will get busier at the weekend.

hannah1992 Wed 27-Mar-19 11:41:03

Tell her that if there is any damage, it can get alot worse between now and the weekend and could have serious consequences.

Also on a Wednesday she would hardly be cluttering up a&e with what appears to be a serious injury. However, If she waits till the weekend it will already be cluttered as they usually are. She would be best off going today.

Hope she's ok

Thehop Wed 27-Mar-19 11:41:57

A&E would much rather she went on a Wednesday than a weekend trust me!

Fazackerley Wed 27-Mar-19 11:42:42

I have told her both those things. She says she's sure there's no serious damage but she's white with pain, can't sit down, can't bend over.

Chloemol Wed 27-Mar-19 11:43:49

So phone 111 and see what they say, if they talk to her she may just go

picklemepopcorn Wed 27-Mar-19 11:45:10

Tell her if she doesn't go on her own now, she'll end up unable to move and you'll have to call an ambulance!

Remind her she'll get triaged, so if she doesn't need to be there it won't matter.

Point out you'll have a hell of a job getting her off the floor/chair/ bed, so to come now while she's still moving.

ApolloandDaphne Wed 27-Mar-19 11:45:35

Better to go now and get checked over than wait until the weekend.

Fazackerley Wed 27-Mar-19 11:47:16

That's a good idea about 111.

MrsMozartMkII Wed 27-Mar-19 11:54:00

I had similar when I came off my horse at the apex of a jump.

I walked around for nearly 48 hours before listening to a nurse friend who told me to go to A&E. Turns out I had a compression fracture in my spine.

Fazackerley Wed 27-Mar-19 11:58:47

Oh god that's exactly what she did. He skidded into the jump and she flipped over the top.

krustykittens Wed 27-Mar-19 12:00:54

She needs to go now!

MintyCedric Wed 27-Mar-19 12:02:42

Can only echo what Mrs M said.

My dad fell down then stairs at the beginning of the year, initially diagnosed with a small stable compression fracture and was about to be sent home.

When I queried the fact he was struggling to walk, they sent him for further scans and he turned out to have a total of 4 broken vertebrae, 2 of which were unstable fractures.

He is on the mend now, physically at least, and I'm sure this is less likely in for, healthy 19 yo, but she really needs to be checked out. If she has an unstable fracture the result of not getting treatment could be catastrophic.

ladybee28 Wed 27-Mar-19 12:03:03

Maybe find out what's behind the refusal?

Is she scared she might find out something that means she can't ride again? Or that her horse might be blamed if it is serious?

I'd put money on the theory that this isn't about cluttering up A&E or how serious it is – there's something she's scared of that she doesn't want to say...

Quartz2208 Wed 27-Mar-19 12:03:31

Yes the longer she leaves it the worse it could get and the more she could need more medical attention

Canshopwillshop Wed 27-Mar-19 12:03:56

Oh lord, I think I’d be getting a bit forceful with her - if she has fractured her spine and is still walking around she could end up in a wheelchair! Think you need to scare her into going to get checked and, as others have pointed out, better to go midweek. Hope she’s ok.

cestlavielife Wed 27-Mar-19 12:04:35

Better in the week when all scanners x rays radiologists on duty

gambaspilpil Wed 27-Mar-19 12:05:15

Agree with PP

Springwalk Wed 27-Mar-19 12:05:39

Insist she goes op, waiting could make her injuries much worse. Do what you need to do but get her there.

gambaspilpil Wed 27-Mar-19 12:05:51

Agree with Canshopwillshop

Kedgeree Wed 27-Mar-19 12:07:24

Was she wearing her airbag? If so, it could just be the response to the pressure from that. If not, there could be a fracture and the reason she's reluctant to get attention is because she could be looking at three months out of the saddle. Either way, she (and you) need the reassurance that there's not something worse going on. Would she compromise with a visit to minor injuries first?

AnneOfCleanTables Wed 27-Mar-19 12:08:30

Tell her to go. I had a fall last year (not horse related). Everyone told me to go to A&E but I didn't. I thought I would be fine despite all evidence to the contrary. In the end (after weeks) I went to the GP. Eventually I did get an x-ray and then referred for physio. It's over a year later and I still have problems with my hip and spine. She'll heal much quicker if she gets the correct treatment now.

Prequelle Wed 27-Mar-19 12:08:47

Please get her to go. She absolutely isn't wasting their time. They'll take her seriously.

Fazackerley Wed 27-Mar-19 12:10:45

She's probably scared that she can't ride or that it will affect her a levels. She had glandular fever last year so had repeated a year.

I will try again.

Folf Wed 27-Mar-19 12:12:53

she does need to go, you don't mess about with the spine, she should have been taken to A&E on the day she had the accident!

She'll be seen much quicker midweek than at the weekend and leaving it any longer could compound any problem.

TBH, if she's in that much pain, knowing whats happened, i'd tell her she either lets you take her or you'll call an ambulance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: