Talk

Advanced search

WWYD in this situation?

(86 Posts)
ComeTheFuck0nBridget Tue 26-Mar-19 21:44:54

So, a couple go to bed at the same time most nights, together, and usually watch 30-60 mins of TV in bed before turning it off and going to sleep.

In general, person A likes this set up, but person B doesn't particularly.

Tonight, person B said they feel tired, and wanted to not watch TV. Person A wants to watch it as usual.

Who is BU in this scenario?

FissionChips Tue 26-Mar-19 21:47:20

Person A is being unreasonable, bedrooms are for sleeping in.

Nicknacky Tue 26-Mar-19 21:48:04

Tv watcher is unreasonable, watch it in the living room.

DramaAlpaca Tue 26-Mar-19 21:48:24

Person A should watch TV downstairs & let Person B sleep.

Vulpine Tue 26-Mar-19 21:48:45

Person a - sleep trumps entertainment

DisastrousBee Tue 26-Mar-19 21:50:23

Person A is unreasonable. If they want to watch TV in bed they should watch it on a device with headphones. TVs in bedrooms is rubbish,

LuluBellaBlue Tue 26-Mar-19 21:50:23

Agreed with PP, person B can only sleep in bedroom, A should go watch tv in living room.
(And B should remove TV from bedroom and hide in roof / give away next time A goes out grin)

LordNibbler Tue 26-Mar-19 21:52:17

Does person A know that person B doesn't particularly like the hours tv before sleep? Because if they do, it seems pretty selfish. Bed is for sleep, not tv watching. Unless both enjoy it of course.

Aquamarine1029 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:52:43

Person A needs to stop being a selfish prat. They can go to another room or watch something on their tablet with headphones.

Drum2018 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:52:52

Person A is definitely unreasonable.

Smelborp Tue 26-Mar-19 21:55:32

Sleep always trumps TV.

Twotome Tue 26-Mar-19 21:55:52

I am like person A - although I do realise I am being unreasonable. halo

MMama18 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:56:37

This is exactly my DH and I (DH is A, I am B). We don’t have a tv in our bedroom although DH would like one, he uses a tablet with earphones to watch tv or movies so that I can sleep in peace and darkness. Person A is unreasonable, they can watch tv in another room or do as my DH does x

ComeTheFuck0nBridget Tue 26-Mar-19 21:59:33

I feel so validated. I'm person B in this scenario, and it drives me mad sometimes having to watch TV in bed, I find it really disruptive and unsettling. I do it for DH because I know he likes to fall asleep with background noise, but I think on the rare occasion I ask to not put it on, that he should respect my request. If it was up to me alone, I wouldn't have a TV in the bedroom at all.

Ive moaned a few times tonight as I'm exhausted today and feel a bit crappy. He says it's too early to go to sleep as we came upstairs at about 9pm.

Now I feel wide awake and crappy and he's fallen to sleep angry

Chocolate35 Tue 26-Mar-19 22:00:48

A is unreasonable and selfish. I need silence to sleep so this would be my nightmare. I actually got rid of the bedroom TV, it’s what living rooms are for. You should both be happy with your sleep set up.

FissionChips Tue 26-Mar-19 22:03:54

I think I’d refuse to sleep in the same room as him until he removed the television from the bedroom.

Why is he going up to bed if he isn’t tired anyway?

user1493413286 Tue 26-Mar-19 22:04:23

Sometimes I go to bed early to watch tv in bed then if DH comes up while I’m watching it I’m a bit disappointed but I accept it gracefully as I know I could just go back downstairs to watch tv whereas he can’t go to bed downstairs.
It sounds like you need to change your routine a bit. I used to always fall asleep to the tv when I lived alone but it made it a bit tricky when I would stay at other people’s houses so it was good to break that habit

PinkSparklyUnicorn Tue 26-Mar-19 22:04:30

I said no to TV in bedroom, bedroom is for sleeping. If it was just me we probably would not have a TV in the house. I am generally too busy or too tired to watch it, so I told DP he should consider himself lucky to have one in the lounge with a super comfy sofa where's he can fall asleep if he wants. I feel for you...

What about purchasing a nice set of headphone so he can fall asleep with a backgrounds noise and you get the peace and quiet you deserve for a good night sleep?

Hearhere Tue 26-Mar-19 22:05:08

I would insist on separate bedrooms from now on
sleep is sacred
interfering with your sleep is tantamount to trying to fuck with your mind

GabsAlot Tue 26-Mar-19 22:10:19

why cant he stay downstairs and watch tv there-highly unfair to keep you awake

AdoraBell Tue 26-Mar-19 22:10:56

Person A is UN

ComeTheFuck0nBridget Tue 26-Mar-19 22:12:27

He doesn't like watching stuff on tablets so I can't see him agreeing to that unfortunately.

The reason I feel so tired now is because he woke me up so early this morning! He woke me up at just before 6am, when we don't actually NEED to get up until 7am, and will likely do the same tomorrow.

I feel so upset and frustrated. I feel like I'm worth nothing to him.

Hearhere Tue 26-Mar-19 22:14:14

Sleep is paramount, you need it to function properly and to be healthy
undermining your sleep is a form of abuse
Is there another room that you can use as your own bedroom?

Hearhere Tue 26-Mar-19 22:15:58

Depriving you of sleep is just as cruel as depriving you of food or warmth when you are cold

Pinkprincess1978 Tue 26-Mar-19 22:16:03

We are the same and to be fair 90% of the time I'm happy to watch tv before bed however sometimes I'm tired and just want to sleep but DH still comes in to watch tv which annoys me at times.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: