Talk

Advanced search

. . . to have paid this?

(9 Posts)
RedPandaFluff Tue 26-Mar-19 21:09:46

They say bad things happen in threes - like, twenty-threes?! So much bad luck recently!

DH accidentally sliced through a mains wire, and sheepishly called an emergency electrician. He was told the work would be £75 call-out fee plus an hour's labour - they couldn't say how much the hour's labour would be as it would depend on whichever electrician was sent to the job.

The guy arrived, fixed the issue in 30 minutes, and asked us to call the firm back to pay.

They wanted £465. So, a £75 call-out fee and £390 for less than an hour's work.

I'm gutted. Long story short, we got them down to £350, but I expected about £200 so it's a heck of a lot more than I thought. Even the electrician spoke to them on the phone saying it was a bit much, and his max fee for something like this would be £185.

I'm gutted and we feel like idiots :-(

LonginesPrime Tue 26-Mar-19 21:17:56

I know it doesn't help to say this now, but I wouldn't have let them start the job without them at least giving a rough idea of the cost, even if it was 'our most junior electrician costs x per hour and our most senior costs y'.

That said, it all seems a bit odd that they wouldn't tell you before they start - usually they'd want to know you agree to pay before starting, surely?

RedPandaFluff Tue 26-Mar-19 21:24:47

I've just done some digging and found some reviews on Trustpilot - all with identical one-star reviews describing the exact same experience as we had. It looks like they're an agency rather than a firm of electricians.

I feel like they capitalise on desperation - with no heat, light or hot water, it's very difficult to pick and choose who to get out.

I do feel slightly irritated with DH (he spoke to them on the phone and arranged the call-out) but he's trusting and would never expect to be ripped off like this.

mrsstephens89 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:25:58

That’s an absurd amount of money

Vulpine Tue 26-Mar-19 21:50:02

You should name and shame.

gamerchick Tue 26-Mar-19 21:53:05

Can you not keep the dudes number and call him personally or recommend him?

And definitely name and shame. Greedy gits!

Chocmallows Tue 26-Mar-19 21:53:59

It's an expensive lesson learnt.

I did a similar thing with a locksmith. When I heard the final price he told me that if I needed any work in the future I should contact a workman directly, do not go through agencies that promise a quick expensive fix.

RedPandaFluff Tue 26-Mar-19 22:06:38

Not sure what the implications are of naming and shaming them . . . as much as I really, really want to.

Tomtontom Tue 26-Mar-19 22:14:29

You've posted an honest account of your experience. There's nothing wrong with doing that, it's not defamatory.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »