Talk

Advanced search

Mistook a boy for a girl

(156 Posts)
justmakemeacuppa Tue 26-Mar-19 20:14:47

Was in the park with the kids and my youngest was sat at the top of the slide while a kid was sat behind her. So as any parents would encouraged my kid to go down by saying the little girl at the back of you wants to go down the slide.
Kid then turns round and says I’m a boy! Was a bit taken off guard and didn’t really know how to reply other than sorry. This kid had lovely long blond hair tied up in a ponytail and baggy shorts which could have been mistaken for a skirt but it was the hair that made me think he was a girl.
So now I’m wondering have I just come across a gender fluid family? Does SHE want to be a boy are in fact is he a boy that just likes his blond hair ? I’m happy to go along with anyone’s choices in life but surely if he doesn’t want to be mistaken for a girl you’d not have a girls hair cut.? Or maybe mum doesn’t give him a choice as he did have lovely hair? He did seem upset I called him a girl though. Just mentioned it as I keep reading about people bringing their kids up gender neutral and wondering if this is going to become more of a thing letting kids decide their own gender.

RiddleyW Tue 26-Mar-19 20:16:51

I don’t really follow - sounds like he quite forcefully said he was a boy. That doesn’t sound very gender fluid.

notsosureaboutthatthough Tue 26-Mar-19 20:16:56

Who cares

notsosureaboutthatthough Tue 26-Mar-19 20:17:52

I don’t think a boy with long hair is gender fluid. Seen many a man with a ponytail. That is clearly happily a man..

Singlenotsingle Tue 26-Mar-19 20:18:51

Maybe his mum wanted a girl, and just doesn't want to get his hair cut.

LordNibbler Tue 26-Mar-19 20:19:00

You answered your own question. He has lovely hair. Who says he has to have it cut just because he's a boy. It's not a new thing, I'm over 50 and have seen many little boys with beautiful long hair over the years.

BolloxtoGender Tue 26-Mar-19 20:19:21

You mean let children decide what sexist gender stereotype they want to perform/present as?

Barrenfieldoffucks Tue 26-Mar-19 20:19:48

He was just a boy with long hair 🤷

OKBobble Tue 26-Mar-19 20:21:02

Maybe he was a boy

BunsOfAnarchy Tue 26-Mar-19 20:21:18

Wtf OP.
This is a non thread. It's a boy. With long hair. Wow. Big deal.
Stop turning this into something bigger than that.

Namestheyareachangin Tue 26-Mar-19 20:21:45

Good grief. All this gibbering because you met a boy with long hair. Blimey, if you ever meet a person who is actually non-binary I think your head will explode.

angelikacpickles Tue 26-Mar-19 20:21:58

I think you have just come across a boy with long hair. It's not exactly unheard of. Maybe just don't assume that all children with long hair are girls!

DogHairEverywhere Tue 26-Mar-19 20:22:08

When my dc were younger, they had a few boy friends that had long hair. Without exception it was the boys choice to keep their hair long. And, yes, if they were mistaken for a girl, they would quite forcefully say they were a boy. I don't think they particularly liked being mis-gendered, but they did like their hair long, so they obviously felt it was a price worth paying. I suspect, they wished that people didn't make assumptions based on their hair length.

Justmuddlingalong Tue 26-Mar-19 20:22:40

A gentle suggestion.
You parent your kids and let others parent theirs.

Crunchymum Tue 26-Mar-19 20:22:57

I don't think you understand gender fluidity / neutrality!!

rainbowlou Tue 26-Mar-19 20:23:42

My son has long hair and if he is referred to as a girl he always corrects...like a pp said he is just a boy with long hair!

BolloxtoGender Tue 26-Mar-19 20:23:44

That’s the thing with gender ideology and language though. All these impressive sounding big words and word salads, but it is emperor’s new clothes.

adulthumanwolf Tue 26-Mar-19 20:24:47

My DP has very long hair, he is very much male. As do a few of our friends male children.

I'd probably assume the family were into metal before anything else.

Bringbackthestripes Tue 26-Mar-19 20:25:49

He said he was a boy. Just because he has long hair doesn’t mean he’s gender fluid.
DC has a friend who is a boy who has had long hair since primary & now in year 8. Another boy in primary with long hair got mistaken for a girl at the Christmas fare. His mum was not pleased so he wasn’t gender fluid either.
Boys can just have long hair and be boys and girls can just have short hair and be girls.
You are overthinking it.

Oysterbabe Tue 26-Mar-19 20:25:55

My 3 year old DD gets called a boy often, even though she has very feminine features and long hair. She likes wearing 'boys' clothes and a catboy baseball cap. We don't wish she'd been a boy, she's not gender fluid, we're not trying to make a point. We let her wear what she wants to wear.

Happyspud Tue 26-Mar-19 20:29:44

He told you he was a boy. You got it wrong. End of non-event. You seem very excited by the possibility of a big discussion on this.

BusySittingDown Tue 26-Mar-19 20:31:15

When I was at primary school there were two brothers with long hair (they looked like Hanson).

They weren't gender fluid, they were just boys with long hair confused just like there are girls with short hair.

There's a little boy in my road that has long hair. He wears it in a little man bun and I think he looks so cute.

RaspberryRuffless Tue 26-Mar-19 20:31:41

My 14 year old son has long hair. When it was longer than it currently is, I’d tie it back in a ponytail to keep it out of his face. Not because I wanted a girl, not because he’s gender fluid and not because I want him to have long hair. He’s got a “girls hair cut” as you put it because he’s autistic and is scared of getting his hair cut. He also has mental health issues where he doesn’t want his hair to be gone and feels bad for cutting it.

MolyHolyGuacamole Tue 26-Mar-19 20:32:19

Why are you obsessed with knowing what genitals the child has? Because at the end of the day, insistence on needing to know whether or not a child is a boy or girl is exactly that. Not knowing a child's assigned sex doesn't actually have any effect on you in the slightest.

Cherylshaw Tue 26-Mar-19 20:32:22

Maybe just a boy with long hair...fs

JessicaWakefieldSVH Tue 26-Mar-19 20:33:42

A gentle suggestion.
You parent your kids and let others parent theirs

Seconded. This is literally not a thing, not anything to be discussed.

SocksInPeril Tue 26-Mar-19 20:34:33

Havs you literally never seen a boy or grown man with long hair before this? Where in the world do you live? confused

SimonJT Tue 26-Mar-19 20:34:51

My son has long hair, he isn’t gender fluid, he just likes his hair, if it’s windy I put it in a ponytail so it isn’t all in his face.

fitzbilly Tue 26-Mar-19 20:36:51

Gosh. I'd was just a boy with long hair. Have you really not come across that before? Hardly gender fluid.

Hate to think what you'd make of my ds. He likes to wear hair clips, and pink. Lots and lots of pink. It's his favourite colour. He's a boy.

We're not a gender fluid family, whatever that means, we just don't force our children to confirm to gender stereotypes. They can wear what they like.

S1naidSucks Tue 26-Mar-19 20:37:56

Not knowing a child's assigned

Oh stop that assigned sex, bullshite. Sex is identified, not assigned. If I decide to call my daughter my son, it doesn’t make her change sex. I can, however recognise her sex as female.

blueskiesovertheforest Tue 26-Mar-19 20:39:04

justmakemeacuppa your thought process pretty much sums up the utterly ridiculous gender stereotyping which has led to the new trans children boom. Thinking the way you do is the reason there is s problem.

Boys can have long hair or short hair or no hair or mid length hair. As can girls. Hair is not a sex organ.

Girls and boys can wear an clothes or play with any toys, watch any TV programmes etc etc because clothes, toys and TV programmes are not primary, nor even secondary, sexual characteristics.

What you saw was a boy with long hair. Gasp.

Weirdly 20 years ago ultra conservative thinkers would only have muttered about hippies, but now they're so conservative they've become robotic "log hair = some category of not-a-boy"

NewSchoolNewName Tue 26-Mar-19 20:39:42

I think that you’re overthinking this.
I’ve known a few families with long haired boys.

And back when I was a teenager it wasn’t that unusual to see teenage boys and young men into the goth scene with long hair.

Almost all the long haired boys I’ve met have been firmly of the opinion that they were boys.

Tunnocks34 Tue 26-Mar-19 20:40:47

Think you’re making an issue of a non issue to be honest.

My eldest had shoulder length hair until he was three because he was so hyper all the time, I couldn’t bare the thought of attempting to get him to sit in a barbers chair for a cut. He would have corrected you if he’d have been called a boy, but we’re not a ‘gender fluid’ family.

Tunnocks34 Tue 26-Mar-19 20:41:01

If he’s have been called a girl*

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 26-Mar-19 20:42:35

I'm always mistaking boys for girls around here - long golden curls and leggings, Afro bunches and yellow dungarees, you name it. They look like girls to me. Luckily nobody has been offended, and so far I've never got it wrong the other way round, which probably would upset someone.

kaytee87 Tue 26-Mar-19 20:42:36

You've seriously never met a boy or man with long hair before?
Nah, this is a wind up.

Bowserlovesmojitos Tue 26-Mar-19 20:44:06

Please explain when a haircut goes from one gender to another. I’m very interested to know how you determine a girls haircut from a boys.

Having long hair isn’t solely the remit of those with a vagina.

Sounds like a little boy with long hair who corrected you when you made the wrong assumption. Nothing more to it.

LifeIsToughMate Tue 26-Mar-19 20:44:11

I’ve seen many boys with long hair it’s not really an issue. Just lovely hair the mum doesn’t want to cut or the boy insists the keep.

It’s not ur fault u got it wrong many people mistake my boy for a girl because of his features which are “pretty” lol. I am not sure how I feel about that. But yeh he is only tiny so I’m hoping this will stop as he grows

Googel Tue 26-Mar-19 20:45:19

First response sums it up really..
Seems a non-issue to me really. We have all done it. I got in a taxi the other day and thought driver was a man at first glance til she spoke to me. But it really makes no difference to be honest. She drove me where I needed to be, I paid her, and then got on with my day....

NellieEllie Tue 26-Mar-19 20:45:20

Boy with long hair. Fine. Girl with short hair. Fine. Off for some chocolate now.

blueskiesovertheforest Tue 26-Mar-19 20:45:51

When I was at university in the depths of the distant past pretty much all the 18-25 year old men/ boys had long hair. The ones I knew were definitely not "gender fluid". Looking back, perhaps it was compulsory. I don't think I had a boyfriend with short hair til I met DH actually shock I've only just realised that...

Iputthescrewinthetuna Tue 26-Mar-19 20:46:07

I know a boy, beautiful long blonde hair! I would have killed for hair like that when I was younger!
Poor lad was always having to tell people he was a boy!
Was he gender fluid? No! Did he get annoyed being constantly mistaken for a girl? A little!
Ehh did he have long hair then?
3 months ago he had it all cut of and donated it to make wigs for children with cancer.

Why do you need to question it! YOU made a mistaken. Move on, it is no issue, just be careful in future.

Teateaandmoretea Tue 26-Mar-19 20:47:05

Hair has no relevance to whether someone is a boy or a girl. Shock horror I have a girl with short hair, she wanted it done and is copying adult women she knows with short hair. Its just hair grin

EluphNaugeMeop Tue 26-Mar-19 20:48:30

Nothing wrong with a boy having long hair. Suggesting that he ought not have a "girls" hairstyle if he doesn't want to be mistaken for a girl is just entrenching outdated stereotypes. Why not avoid labelling and say "the kid" or "the child" instead of needing to categorise?

SarahAndQuack Tue 26-Mar-19 20:49:30

I am gobsmacked you've never mistaken a child's gender before. Does it not happen all the time?

Pre-puberty, you can't tell. Really, you can't.

My DD is constantly mistaken for a boy. She sometimes wears flowery dresses and pink tights and she sometimes wears trousers and check shirts. She loves to tell me she is 'looking like mummy' when she's wearing the trousers and shirts - because that's how my partner dresses.

I would imagine most little boys with long hair either like it, or couldn't give a flying fuck. Otherwise, their parents would probably cut it, no?

And who knows, maybe this little boy has long hair because he wants to look like daddy who has long hair too?

Last I heard long hair doesn't erode the penis until at least age 13.

goldengummybear Tue 26-Mar-19 20:50:10

The child was a boy with long hair. Your mistake is no different than calling someone's cousin their friend. It's just a mistake.

BettyBigBollocks Tue 26-Mar-19 20:50:27

Sorry, what? You mistook a little boy for a little girl, he corrected you, end of story. How have you made this into anything about gender fluid families?

My little boy was also mistaken for a girl last weekend in the park, he is very “pretty”, has shaggy hair and was wearing red dungarees (so unisex). Now I’m wondering if that man has gone home wondering if my one year old is gender fluid. 🙄

Puffykins Tue 26-Mar-19 20:50:46

My son has long hair. So do a couple of his (Male) friends. They're all 8. They don't mind being mistaken for girls - and realise that it can happen because of their hair - but they are very definitely boys and will correct anyone who gets it wrong. But they'd rather have long hair and have people occasionally think they're girls than cut their hair. It's got nothing to do with gender fluidity, and everything to do with Greek Gods and heroes....

FedUpParent Tue 26-Mar-19 20:51:15

My 3 yo DS has long blonde curly hair which he mostly wears in a man-boy-bun

YABU. Many very masculine figures have long hair. He’s clearly a boy who identifies as a boy

Short hair does not equal boy

It’s shocking that people would ever think that. Like I can’t believe this is a serious post! confused

LipstickHandbagCoffee Tue 26-Mar-19 20:52:31

My friends son looks like Rapunzel he has gorgeous hair,and is a right wee boy too

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Tue 26-Mar-19 20:52:38

Long hair doesn't now, or has it ever changed your chromosomes.

Thesearmsofmine Tue 26-Mar-19 20:54:18

This has to be a wind up!

CallMeCarolDanvers Tue 26-Mar-19 20:55:23

Long blond hair and aaaaaaaalllll man

windysowindy Tue 26-Mar-19 20:56:11

* So now I’m wondering have I just come across a gender fluid family?*
No, you have come across a boy with long hair

* but surely if he doesn’t want to be mistaken for a girl you’d not have a girls hair cut.*

Again, no. In many societies long hair is worn by males and females.

madcatladyforever Tue 26-Mar-19 20:56:25

My 2nd husband has waist length blond curly locks and a girly appearance. He is not gender fluid just your average bloke.

ZeldaPrincessOfHyrule Tue 26-Mar-19 20:59:46

My youngest DS has really long, blonde hair. It suits him, he has no desire to have it cut, and I'm not 'making a statement' (which is what my DF says I'm doing) or forcing him to be gender fluid or whatever. He's just got long hair. If he's mistaken for a girl, he'll say "I'm a boy" but it doesn't bother him. Nor does it bother his older brother, who's 9, and whose friends didn't bat an eyelid at a small monster with long hair when they all met him charging around the playground. One or two kids have asked him whether his bro is a girl, and he's said no, and they've made the statement of 'but he's got long hair...' DS tends to shrug and say, "yeah, so?"

I think it's so interesting how I've always assumed clothing said more about whether a small child was a boy or a girl. It so isn't clothes - I really think it's hair. He can be wearing his t-shirt with EPIC DUDE emblazoned across the front and people will still think he's a girl. But that's fine, he's not bothered, I'm not bothered, and I definitely didn't let it grow because I want him to be a girl. If he wants it cut short, we'll do that.

Easy solution OP - just say 'child'. It does sound like you were more bothered by the exchange than he was, tbh.

FlagranceDirect Tue 26-Mar-19 21:00:41

I'm cracking on in years but I'm pretty unmoved by seeing a boy with long wavy blonde hair. I've seen enough long-haired boys and men to not have any curiosity on the subject. It just is. On occasion, with children and younger adults, I've not been all that sure of the sex so I wait for some sort of clue. I saw an old friend in town once who I'd not seen for years, accompanied by her child. "And what's your name?" "Simon". Sorted.

slappinthebass Tue 26-Mar-19 21:04:47

My toddler son has long hair, to below his shoulders, that I tie up in bobbles and clips, and plaits and buns. He has 'pretty' facial features and wears bright, clothes and leggings. 100% of people think he is a girl, and I couldn't care one bit. Unfortunately our need to use pronouns so regularly means with children in playgrounds we have to take a guess based on stereotypes, even those of us who think gender is bullshit. So I'm completely ok with people getting it wrong on a daily basis. I mostly don't even correct unless I have to. I'm not trying to raise him 'gender fluid' I'm trying to raise him and his sisters with minimal stereotypes.

DellaDella Tue 26-Mar-19 21:05:25

I have 4 DSs, one has beautiful hair down to his waist. As my son says, he doesn't have girl hair, it's boy hair because he's a boy. He often gets mistaken for a girl and usually just smiles. He is very happy to be a boy, he just likes having long hair. We have another DS who does actually want to be a girl, but doesn't have long hair anymore exactly because people kept making stupid comments. I'm happy if they're happy.
We sometimes talk about numpties who believe in stereotypes based on outdated ideas of gender and the role of the patriarchy in modern society. I'm embarrassed for you that my 6 year old son can spot a gender stereotype from a mile off and you have no clue.

colditz Tue 26-Mar-19 21:05:38

My son has long hair. He's a boy. He will always be a boy. He has always been a boy.

You do understand, don't you, that having long hair isn't some form of castration that turns boys into girls?

donquixotedelamancha Tue 26-Mar-19 21:06:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

donquixotedelamancha Tue 26-Mar-19 21:07:05

So now I’m wondering have I just come across a gender fluid family? Does SHE want to be a boy are in fact is he a boy that just likes his blond hair ?

Seems more likely he was an actual boy with long hair. It can be hard to sex young children, why are you so sure he was a girl?

ILoveMaxiBondi Tue 26-Mar-19 21:07:43

but surely if he doesn’t want to be mistaken for a girl you’d not have a girls hair cut.?

It’s not a girl’s haircut. Unless you buy into gender stereotypes?

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Tue 26-Mar-19 21:09:48

Please tell me this is a joke.

TillyTheTiger Tue 26-Mar-19 21:10:24

My boy was mistaken for a girl the other day, because he had a purple coat on (and apparently purple is a girl colour). He's not gender fluid, he's very adamantly a boy - he just happens to love bright colours including pink and purple!

MumUnderTheMoon Tue 26-Mar-19 21:10:58

Your really over thinking this. He's a boy.

Judystilldreamsofhorses Tue 26-Mar-19 21:12:15

As a little girl I had short hair, and was constantly being called “son” or similar, particularly in summer when I wore shorts and t-shirts a lot. This was the late 70s, and I simply had short hair. I don’t think my mum would know what gender fluid meant even if I asked her now.

LonginesPrime Tue 26-Mar-19 21:13:17

I’m happy to go along with anyone’s choices in life but surely if he doesn’t want to be mistaken for a girl you’d not have a girls hair cut.?

WTAF??

Pinkyyy Tue 26-Mar-19 21:14:23

What an odd thread. Wonder if the OP returns.

Jinxed2 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:14:43

WTactualF?! He was a boy, with long hair.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Tue 26-Mar-19 21:14:51

My toddler son has long hair, to below his shoulders, that I tie up in bobbles and clips, and plaits and buns...I'm trying to raise him and his sisters with minimal stereotypes.

bobbles and clips, and plaits and buns You’re chosing hairstyle and accessories stereotypically associated with girls. Setting people up to get it wrong by using stereotypical cues

Minimal stereotypes would be not using bobbles and clips, and plaits and buns on a boy or girl. You’d eschew such items in favour of more neutral.youre not being minimal

FermatsTheorem Tue 26-Mar-19 21:16:24

My son chose to have his hair long when he was about 7. Because he wanted to look like Legolas. Nothing to do with gender fluidity. He just liked having long hair.

He could be wearing jeans and a typical khaki boys' top (god I hate the way children's clothes are so bloody stereotyped these days). You'd still get adults assuming he was a girl

It wasn't other children who were the problem - it was continual comments from adults which made him eventually ask me to cut his hair even though he liked it.

For future reference just say "oops, silly me, sorry" then move on.

StillCoughingandLaughing Tue 26-Mar-19 21:18:10

I think the OP was hoping for a bit of Daily Mail baiting ‘It’s political correctness gone maaaaaad!’ hoohah - and has no retreated from the thread with her tail between her legs because most people have just said ‘Don’t be daft, it was a boy with long hair’.

Itwouldtakemuchmorethanthis Tue 26-Mar-19 21:19:02

Can you really have never seen a male person with long hair?hmm

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Tue 26-Mar-19 21:19:09

Welcome to the new dark ages.

mrsstephens89 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:21:38

A male?!?! With long hair?!?!?! shock
Goodness me OP, whatever will they think of next?!?! hmm

Iooselipssinkships Tue 26-Mar-19 21:22:49

My son had long hair when he was younger, it was lovely. He asked for it cutting because he said he was sick of being mistaken for a girl, so we had it cut. It made me hate the world for a while.
My partner also has shoulder length hair but the beard avoids confusion.
It's not gender fluid bollocks, we're just a bit of a alternative 'rocker' type family.

MitziK Tue 26-Mar-19 21:23:54

One of my brothers had long, curly blonde hair. Mainly because he screamed like a banshee if he was within 50 foot of the barber's.

Kept it all his life until it started falling out. As it was the 1970s, his resemblance to Roger Daltrey/Robert Plant (but better looking) meant that he nobbed practically every 18-22 year old in town was never short of a willing date. No question about his preferences.

I had short hair aged 10. I didn't give a monkey's if people thought I was a boy or not. I was most pissed off that I wasn't allowed to have an undercut or mohawk, as I'd seen women that looked absolutely stunning. No confusion about my sex even if I thought being female absolutely sucked and I wasn't wrong.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Tue 26-Mar-19 21:25:13

As an aside I’m envious of the beautiful hair a man I work,with has
I swear it’s luxuriant and shiny

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Tue 26-Mar-19 21:26:49

You must be very easily confused OP...

hmm

FrozenMargarita17 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:29:10

Sigh. Everyone thinks my dd is a boy because she has short hair. Even if she's in full on 'girl' clothing people still call her a boy. I can't grow her hair for her! I wish people would bloody use their eyes instead of going by hair. Such an odd thing to do.

Trillis Tue 26-Mar-19 21:32:05

My DS grew his hair long because he wanted to look 'cool'. At school he was supposed to have hair no longer than collar length, so he grew it into a sort of 'bob'. When they didn't complain it got longer. Now he is 17 it's well past shoulder length, and he wears it in a pony tail most of the time. My dad occasionally moans at him to get it cut, but he's the only one. He's never been mistaken for a girl though, but that's probably because he was about 14 before it got quite long.

PumpkinPie2016 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:37:24

I think you're making more out of this than is necessary.

It was a boy with long hair. You made a mistake saying he was a girl, child corrected you, you apologised. End of.

Nothing to do with gender fluid families.

Sometimes it is hard to tell with young kids whether they are a boy/girl.

Noqont Tue 26-Mar-19 21:41:42

Is this what it's come to now? My boy has long hair. He's a boy with long hair. Who doesn't need to have it cut so that people know he's a boy.

MorganKitten Tue 26-Mar-19 21:41:55

He was a boy with long hair. Simple.

IamAporcupine Tue 26-Mar-19 21:45:29

I can't believe this thread.
He was a boy with long hair. He told you he was a boy. End of story!

My DS has very very long hair and loves it. It is absolutely gorgeous. Loads of people, men and women, have made 'hair envy' jokes grin.
He gets mistaken for a girl all the time, and he simply tells people he is a boy.
He is 100% a boy.
With long hair.

Maybe his mum wanted a girl, and just doesn't want to get his hair cut.
confused

DarkAtEndOfTunnel Tue 26-Mar-19 21:47:14

Oh FFS, what have I just read?

1) Who cares if you mistook a young boy for a girl? What does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Have you insulted him so much? Is being a girl such a horrific thing to contemplate - answer to that is sometimes, sadly, because people make it so.

2) No long hair does not necessarily mean a girl. It is perfectly ok for a male, boy, teen or man, to have long hair. Believe it or not, it grows that way, and keeps growing unless human intervention cuts it. In many societies, including our own just 20 short years ago, long hair was very very common on men. In other news, the best place to start reading is ABC, and the best place to start singing is doh re mi.

Good grief, what the fuck is happening in bloody Britain? Is there to be a screening every morning telling us everything we are allowed to wear that day and what exactly we are allowed to say??

DarkAtEndOfTunnel Tue 26-Mar-19 21:49:26

"gender fluid"? Because long hair? envy -- not envy.

pallisers Tue 26-Mar-19 21:54:39

I’m happy to go along with anyone’s choices in life but surely if he doesn’t want to be mistaken for a girl you’d not have a girls hair cut.?

What the hell??? Have you actually never met a boy with long hair before? Do all the girls have long hair where you are? Where on earth do you live?

You mistook a boy for a girl. It happens. He corrected you. End of story - stop with the gender fluid/choices in life/girl's haircuts etc.

Dramatical Tue 26-Mar-19 21:58:02

What the actual fuck confused

You meet a boy with long hair and think you have come across a gender fluid family 🤦🏻‍♀️

SerenDippitty Tue 26-Mar-19 22:00:37

You don’t see half as many little girls with short hair as little boys with long hair. Interesting that.

ImNotTheDramaLlamaHere Tue 26-Mar-19 22:01:27

For goodness sakes!
It was a boy and he didn't like being called a girl cos girls have coodies 😂
You've REALLY over thought this! 🤦🏼‍♀️

SarahAndQuack Tue 26-Mar-19 22:01:43

Do you think so, seren?

My MN baby group seems to have loads.

FedUpParent Tue 26-Mar-19 22:04:46

DellaDella I love this!

“he doesn't have girl hair, it's boy hair because he's a boy.”

As well as having his long hair my DS has a gender neutral name. I see it as a very masculine name (more so in America than here) but it most certainly is a common girls nickname. And I think whenever we get told “but that’s a girls name?” We’ll be saying “it’s a boys name, because he’s a boy!” grin

SarahAndQuack Tue 26-Mar-19 22:10:49

You know, this thread is reminding me of my MIL.

MIL, my female partner, and my DD all have short (cropped) hair; so do I, and so do DD's aunts. Her uncle has long hair.

Every time we cut DD's hair, MIL objects, because 'she's a girl!'

I think the OP would get on with my MIL.

FrangipaniBlue Tue 26-Mar-19 22:20:52

YABU for being part of the problem.

Because he had long hair he MUST be a girl.... or at least "gender fluid" right?

Wrong. He's just a boy with long fucking hair.

(Dave Grohl and Jason Mamoa must really blow your mind - long hair AND a beard? Wtf?)

SE13Mummy Tue 26-Mar-19 22:22:05

It sounds as though you mistakenly thought a boy with long hair was a girl, and he corrected you. Why does there have to be any more than that to the situation?

DD8 had her hair cut short because she wanted short hair. She's still a girl, even though she wears trousers and often chooses clothes from the boys range - she prefers the colours/patterns and isn't interested in unicorns, llamas or cacti. But she's still a girl. She's regularly referred to as 'he' by people who don't know her but isn't bothered... unless they persist and go on about how she must be a boy hmm. On one occasion she eventually yelled back, "I'm a girl... I've got a vagina. Ok?!"

There are very few primary school girls with short hair these days but lots of boys with long hair.

3in4years Tue 26-Mar-19 22:32:48

Boys can have long hair, it's easy, they just don't cut it. Like girls with long hair. Same premise.
Girls can have short hair. It cuts with scissors like boys' hair.
Did you really not know this OP?

SwoopTheJackpot Tue 26-Mar-19 22:41:17

Why would it matter? confused

M3lon Tue 26-Mar-19 22:44:13

wow...just wow.

gender stereotypes must be actual laws where you are OP....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »