Talk

Advanced search

To book airport hotel for 0720 flight

(92 Posts)
Twistertea Tue 26-Mar-19 19:31:13

First world problems I know

2 DDs (4yo and 6mo) .. holiday booked but flight is at 0720--- be at airport for 0520---

Airport an hour's drive from us... Then will need to factor in parking/transfer time.... So assuming would have to leave at 4am. Means getting DDs up at 3.45ish and straight into car...

Alternative is to book airport hotel which would save about an hour in bed so not getting them up until 430/445 but being in hotel could mean bedtime becomes later due to unfamiliar environment therefore losing sleep anyway.....

WWYD?

RMogs Wed 27-Mar-19 18:54:13

I would go with hotel...but purely because that will mean that we have everything sorted and DH not leaving it to the last last minute to remember to pack something when I asked him to the night before

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Wed 27-Mar-19 18:33:18

We did this,stayed at Radisson Blu at Manchester airport.Very comfy bed and outside reception there is the walkway to check ins so very seamless.

ForalltheSaints Wed 27-Mar-19 18:30:10

I would even if was just me.

StarlightLady Wed 27-Mar-19 18:28:04

Travelling to airports l have been

1. Stuck on a broken down train. = stress.
2. Stuck at a station with no train. = stress
3. Stuck on a motorway due to total closure because of a bad crash. = stress.

This way , you know you will be on time. The children wiil see it as pRt of the holiday. = Feelin free!

Hersetta427 Wed 27-Mar-19 16:13:08

We have same scenario this summer. Slight at 7am and we live 75 mins drive at that time of day so realistically we would be leaving home at 3.30am to arrive before 5am. We have booked the hotel attached to the airport terminal - was only £65 with parking on top of that.

TurquoiseDress Wed 27-Mar-19 10:19:58

I was going to add- if you can do luggage drop off the night before, bed better!

We also combine the hotel with car parking too so it's often just a v short early morning taxi ride

To add as well, DH likes to leave things to the last minute, even catching flights

He travels extensively for work so I guess this makes him (too) laid back
He has missed a number of flights previously
This happened to us when DC1 was small and I was furious

Even being in my own bed the night before, I would most definitely not get a good nights sleep!

I'd be wondering if we'll wake up on time? are we going to be delayed en route to the airport? Where do we leave the car? Trying to kick DHs arse into action

So, for me, arriving the night before, staying in airport hotel, often bags checked in toot

Then a glass or two of Prosecco to start our holiday

That's the way I like to travel!

Cheby Wed 27-Mar-19 09:33:13

We don’t book airport hotels for this. We bath the kids in the evening then dress them in clean, comfortable day clothes at bedtime (leggings and a long sleeved t shirt), load the car fully before we go to bed and have a shower ourselves, then go to bed not long after the kids. We get up and dressed, one of us starts the car so it heats up, then carry the kids out of bed and straight into the car asleep, lock up and leave.

Kids get an extra 45 mins sleeping on the way to the airport and wake up when they get there. We don’t miss the extra hour of sleep and our pets are fed in the morning before we leave meaning pet sitters aren’t needed for another day.

The D.C. are 6 and 2, this has worked ok for the last few years. We find the hassle of unloading cases and checking in and out of a hotel a lot more faff than just getting up a bit earlier. But I suspect if we lived much further away from the airport we would look at getting a hotel.

Baxdream Wed 27-Mar-19 08:54:40

@GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER

This!! I actually forgot that this is my main reason! We have very different leaving times so hotel fixes my anxiety!!

my2bundles Wed 27-Mar-19 08:22:17

I honestly wouldn't. You might safe time in tbe morning but you will add on time tne day before with finding hotel, checking in and out, settling kids in a strange setting and still gave to be up early I would much rather let them sleep in their own beds and wake them an hour early than do that.

Hellywelly10 Wed 27-Mar-19 08:18:00

How long would it take in a cab at that time in the morining?

burnoutbabe Wed 27-Mar-19 08:15:25

If I did an airport hotel again I'd make sure I had all the hotel nights stuff in separate bag to avoid opening suitcase the night before and re sorting what can go in carry on and what not.
We're 1hr from Gatwick and Heathrow's so cheaper to get a stupid o'clock taxi for £40 than a hotel (which often need more driving or hotel shuttles anyway rather than walk across)

thegreylady Wed 27-Mar-19 08:14:12

We always book hotel for flights before 08.30. We live about 90 minutes from airport and the roads into the city can be so busy in the morning. We usually choose a hotel with a shuttle bus to the terminal and take cereal bars and fruit to eat in the room before we leave.

Di11y Wed 27-Mar-19 08:13:00

it's definitely worth it if you can drop your bags in advance too.

whitehalleve Wed 27-Mar-19 08:12:50

Of course! I used to do this even when I was single. Makes life easier. That's why they are there.

CosyAsAToasty Wed 27-Mar-19 08:08:06

Done it plenty of times from about when DD was 6 weeks, up at 4am, sleep in car and get to airport. You'll find you'll probably sleep worse in a hotel than in your own bed.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Wed 27-Mar-19 08:07:24

Having a dh who enjoys cutting things fine, I insisted on this once, after we'd very nearly missed a flight previously, down to a main road being closed because of a bad accident.
Hotel near Gatwick, parking chucked in with the price, lift to the terminal, nice relaxed evening, no-stress morning - beats frazzled early start and will-we-make-it? anxiety every time.

postiepostie Wed 27-Mar-19 08:06:33

Completely shocked at the amount of people who would book a hotel for this.

You'll be excited for holiday, the kids will be fine and an airport hotel is such a faff.

My kids absolutely love getting up and going to the airport in the night

Mummadeeze Wed 27-Mar-19 08:06:22

I have done the hotel thing a couple of times for an early flight but I actually have decided I prefer to order a taxi on the morning and take a taxi home from the airport instead as it is still a bit cheaper than a hotel and it takes the stress out of each journey. I didn’t sleep too well either in the hotels so also felt like a bit of a waste of money.

m0therofdragons Wed 27-Mar-19 08:05:24

We've stopped doing this and instead book an airport transfer (posh taxi) to take us there and back at whatever time. So much easier imo. It's a 3hour drive for us so not cheap but comparable to a hotel and lovely being driven home after a flight.

Glittertwins Wed 27-Mar-19 08:05:07

Hotel all the way, especially if also had long term parking as part of the deal.
The cost of the hotel room was not hugely different to the cost of long term parking. That, coupled with a Monday morning flight from Gatwick sealed it!

ssd Wed 27-Mar-19 08:01:54

We stayed in a hotel last year it was a nightmare, the room was too hot and the window hardly opened, no one slept well

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 27-Mar-19 08:01:02

At the very least moisturizer, which is a big tub therefore needing to be repacked.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 27-Mar-19 08:00:12

@Acis you haven't seen my face without.

maggienolia Wed 27-Mar-19 07:57:42

Hotel every time.
One point - if you are bag dropping the night before may be worth checking that it is actually working before trekking to the terminal
(Bitter emoticon )

Acis Wed 27-Mar-19 07:57:35

Gawd, who puts on make-up to get on a holiday flight at 7 a.m.?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »