Talk

Advanced search

To book airport hotel for 0720 flight

(92 Posts)
Twistertea Tue 26-Mar-19 19:31:13

First world problems I know

2 DDs (4yo and 6mo) .. holiday booked but flight is at 0720--- be at airport for 0520---

Airport an hour's drive from us... Then will need to factor in parking/transfer time.... So assuming would have to leave at 4am. Means getting DDs up at 3.45ish and straight into car...

Alternative is to book airport hotel which would save about an hour in bed so not getting them up until 430/445 but being in hotel could mean bedtime becomes later due to unfamiliar environment therefore losing sleep anyway.....

WWYD?

Bigonesmallone3 Tue 26-Mar-19 19:32:27

100% book the hotel

twilightcafe Tue 26-Mar-19 19:33:33

Airport hotel. Sounds less stressful. You might find that DC sleep better in hotel room as they're closer to you.

Leeds2 Tue 26-Mar-19 19:33:59

I don't think YABU as such, but just bear in mind that at some airport hotels, it can take an age to get from the hotel to the terminal (particularly early in the morning), so you may not save as much time as you think.

ShitAtScarbble Tue 26-Mar-19 19:34:03

Agreed. Absolutely book the hotel. Save yourself a stressful and potentially shit start to your holiday!

Aragog Tue 26-Mar-19 19:34:13

We do - older dd (teen) but I'd still rather have the extra hour or so in bed. Infact its normally more as I daren't leave it too late for leaving incase of traffic issues. Have been delayed once too often to risk it, even in the early hours.

When smaller dd travelled to the hotel in PJs and went straight to bed, and went to the airport in PJs/onsie too. Changed her there or on the plane, depending on her age.

FullOfJellyBeans Tue 26-Mar-19 19:34:18

Definitely go for the hotel or you'll all be exhausted and grumpy for your first day.

Aragog Tue 26-Mar-19 19:35:36

We always book as close as we can get but a budget hotel - usually premier inn. Book well enough in advance and you can get cheap rooms still - and only be 2-3 miles away. Never had an issue with it taking too long, or delays fortunately.

HaventGotAllDay Tue 26-Mar-19 19:38:12

Absolutely. Premier Inns are well worth it. I often have 6.30 flights from Gatwick and you tumble out of bed and stroll across to check-in. Can't beat it.

TitilatedOcelot Tue 26-Mar-19 19:40:39

Hotel. Best bit is being able to leave home whenever you're ready the day before, rather than being up against a check in deadline.

anniehm Tue 26-Mar-19 19:40:59

I always opt for the hotel even for 11am flights. I use a park and stay hotel usually and often it's no more than normal long stay parking.

CleverKnot Tue 26-Mar-19 19:41:40

I think I might sleep in the airport instead,I wouldn't sleep anyway, with that early a departure & child to get to airport with me, etc.

YANBU.

areyoureallysaying Tue 26-Mar-19 19:44:20

Def a hotel, mine are both teens but still would and do. It also means you have a chilled drive to the airport and don't have the worry of any traffic problems holding you up.

AFPH123 Tue 26-Mar-19 19:51:32

100% yes!

We did it last year. Meant us waking at 5 rather than 3. Why do flights have to be at such ridiculous times? I often book places based on flight times alone due to this.

Destinesia Tue 26-Mar-19 20:04:56

I'd book either valet parking or an airport taxi instead.

Wallsbangers Tue 26-Mar-19 20:10:27

Yes. You could get 1.5 hours extra sleep in the hotel.

oblada Tue 26-Mar-19 20:13:56

I wouldn't book a hotel for that personally. You'll have very little sleep as it is what's the point of wasting money? I booked a airport hotel when the airport was 3hours drive from us and flight around 7am (so no hotel would have meant a 2am start) but otherwise I wouldn't bother. After that it depends how your kids are at being woken up in the middle of the night...

Notaclue30 Tue 26-Mar-19 20:16:19

You can often book in the night before and drop off your suitcase so even less stress the next day

Still18atheart Tue 26-Mar-19 20:17:40

YADNBU to book a hotel. Don't have the worry of the early start, the what ifs are reduced ( car breaking down etc) can park the car the day before so don't have to rush from car park to terminal. + an extra 1.5 hours in bed.

Doje Tue 26-Mar-19 20:17:51

I think it depends on how much it is.

We've looked at it before, but decided it wasn't worth it for an hour extra sleep.

TakeMe2Insanity Tue 26-Mar-19 20:18:04

We’ve done this a few times now and it really takes the stress out of the situation. We’ve done: had dinner at home then literally arrive at hotel to sleep (have a cloth bag with any clothes you need for the morning and agree which suitcase you’ll squeeze pyjams etc into), we’ve also done arrive at hotel earlier to have dinner. Both work but the best bit you have a nice nights sleep and you don’t have worry.

OutwithMyRemit Tue 26-Mar-19 20:18:23

We had similarly timed flights a few years ago and didn't book hotels. Partly due to being cheap, but also it didn't seem worth the money for a few extra hours in bed, esp when the 2yo would have likely been over-excited anyway.

FastandLoose Tue 26-Mar-19 20:18:58

Personally I probably wouldn’t go for the hotel as, like you say, you’ll probably get to sleep later and will still have some kind of journey to the airport - I’d prefer bundling the into the car, hoping they go back to sleep and then getting the most convenient parking you can. I normally absolutely refuse to do early flights, but we did this this weekend with 6 and 4 year old, and it was bearable. I think at that age they should probably nap to be able to adapt to the earlier start, and you save a night in a probably not particularly great hotel.

soulrider Tue 26-Mar-19 20:22:35

I think it depends on the airport hotel. If you can park up the night before and walk to departures it might be worth it. If you have to mess about moving a car to long term parking or whatever I wouldn't bother if you're only an hour from the airport

Brummiegirl15 Tue 26-Mar-19 20:40:52

Ironically I’m getting a 7.20 flight next week for work and live 1.5 hr drive from airport so will be leaving at 4am to get there for check in

Reason being is I have 2 small children and my youngest is still breastfed so if I stay the night before then it’s yet another night away from them.

My view was i will have to get up early anyway I might as well drive a bit further but still be with my husband and kids the night before

It’ll be painful though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: