Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour’s DIY gate

(6 Posts)
Redsaddle Tue 26-Mar-19 18:45:23

I live in a row a terraces where it seems big houses have been split into 2 so we have shared front gardens split by a gated path. I’m renting the house privately and have lived here for almost 3 years now, it is going to be quite a long-term rent. Don’t really get on with NDNs as they have interfered greatly in my life and caused me distress whilst seriously ill (cancer). Their dog has completely ravaged the front gate beyond repair and I presume my LL has been on at them to replace it for a while. Instead of simply paying for one, NDN has made it himselfconfused It must have taken him a year so far as I’ve watched him constantly trespass on my garden to ‘measure’ things without asking since last Spring.

I’m very appreciative and I’m sure the LL is but AIBU to think it would have been better to just pay for a professionally built gate and have someone fit it? Their DIY one is made from broken down pallets so will surely rot within a few years and then cause more issues in the long run. The other issue is that if he is going to remove the old gate himself it will be really dangerous. The houses are well over 100 years old and the front walls look ready to collapse. There is risk of my wall caving in when he removes the gate. It just all seems a bit stingy to me, especially using secondhand wood. Gates cost £20-80 from Wickes and the likeconfused I’m not being crazy am I? I’d buy one myself if he hadn’t started on his project

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 26-Mar-19 18:47:59

He's obviously watched one of those God awful adverts that pops up every 5 minutes "101 red neck uses for garden furniture using old pallets"

Chocolateisfab Tue 26-Mar-19 18:51:23

Are the houses listed buildings?

Redsaddle Tue 26-Mar-19 18:54:25

I’m not being mean if seems that way😂 It’s a nice looking gate but I feel like it’s going to cost my LL and them more money in the long run. We live near a river and marshlands so things tend to get damp and mouldy quite quickly. It’s annoyed me a bit as even though it’s LL’s house, I’m in a pretty permanent tenancy it would have been nice to at least be told about what he was planning. I would have put money into a gate if they’re struggling but they own their house, have a car, dog etc so didn’t think it would be an issue for them

Redsaddle Tue 26-Mar-19 18:55:15

The gardens can’t be separated or fenced apart so there must be a clause somewhere? It can’t be changed maybe it’s the original gate

Redsaddle Tue 26-Mar-19 19:10:00

Wouldn’t my neighbour need planning permission to change it? It opens onto a public footpath that’s connected to a road

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: