Talk

Advanced search

To keep the noise down?

(16 Posts)
Loveinstantcat Tue 26-Mar-19 16:31:59

We moved into our new house about 6 months ago. Its twice the size of our previous house and the kids are loving the space especially the garden, as we didn't have one before.

I was in the garden yesterday and the neighbour (in his 70's) poked his head over and struck up a conversation. We somehow got round to talking about my DH and the neighbour said "yes I heard him shouting at the children in the bath yesterday" I thought it was an odd thing to say but also it's usually me that raises my voice and not my DH.

I was in the bath yesterday and heard our neighbour yawning really loudly so I mentioned to my DH to be careful about the noise in the bathroom as clearly that's the place in the house they can mostly hear us.

Our DC's are 5 and 7 and today they are out in the garden laughing and playing. I can see from the window that the neighbour keeps poking his head over the fence and looking at them disapproving. I went out and he didn't say anything but when I came back in he was doing it again.

We've only just moved in so dont want to cause a scene but I feel this is going to become an issue with the neighbour feeling that we make too much noise. We have never had complaints at our previous place but I now feel on edge and dont know whether to get them inside?!

Aquamarine1029 Tue 26-Mar-19 16:44:02

He might be a grumpy old sod or your children might be much louder than you realise. Are they yelling and shrieking? If so, that's just not acceptable.

Loveinstantcat Tue 26-Mar-19 16:46:29

They are not yelling but I can hear them from inside the house laughing. I suppose because we have never had a garden I dont know what is a acceptable outside noise?! Its really making me feel on edge knowing hes outside listening

Chouetted Tue 26-Mar-19 16:47:03

Well, at least you know he was being honest about the bathroom.

Have you tried... talking to him?

Loveinstantcat Tue 26-Mar-19 16:47:55

When I lived at our previous house, other kids used to play on the streets especially in the summer holidays and you could hear them over the TV but we only ever felt annoyed about it when it was late at night

Loveinstantcat Tue 26-Mar-19 16:50:41

I've spoken to him lots of times since we've been here but hes got a very odd attitude. Like I was outside in the garden at 7am one morning and he poked his head over the fence and asked if i worked in a mocking manner. Or if we are off out for the evening he will make comments about where we are going etc. I dont know if he just has a sarcastic nature or whether hes being rude!

Dueinnov19 Tue 26-Mar-19 16:51:08

I wish my neighbour's only laughed.... instead I hear swearing, swearing at the children, shouting, kids shouting and swearing....

As long as they are only laughing and not high pitched shrieking or screaming at each other I think he is just a miserable old sod.

Also just be mindful of the times, Imo I don't think Its acceptable for children to be shouting and playing loudly past 7-8 in a builr up residential area.

Same for adults playing loud music and being ridiculous every weekend from March through to October (do you think I have a problem with my neighbour? )

Chocolateisfab Tue 26-Mar-19 16:52:27

You need a higher fence op.

Moominfan Tue 26-Mar-19 16:54:45

I'm with due, how is laugher a problem

mbosnz Tue 26-Mar-19 16:54:47

He sounds like he's got too much time on his hands and too much of his nose over your fence.

Loveinstantcat Tue 26-Mar-19 16:55:05

Dueinnov19 I totally agree. Kids are in bed by 7.00pm so only ever out in the day and weekends

MadameDD Tue 26-Mar-19 16:57:48

Garden noise is just garden noise - I recall when I didn't have DD - I was blissfully unaware of travelling noise from gardens - we had neighbours - one set rarely used their garden and the others used it for drinks parties, BBQs etc but not much. Then 2 sets of neighbours with DC moved in either side and at first - screeching - especially from the neighbours with 2 DDs was slightly jarring but then I also realised my own DD when she had friends etc round could be annoying. I do try and get her not to scream and screech a lot but sometimes it can't be helped.

No - she's not allowed to play etc after 7pm in the garden but if we have a BBQ etc then of course she can sing/play in the garden then like the other neighbours DCs do.

Really I think your neighbour needs to adjust his attitude to the fact there are now families with DC next door. As long as you're not screaming and shouting from dusk to dawn I can't see the problem.

Drogosnextwife Tue 26-Mar-19 17:01:02

I would start commenting on him poking his head over your fence all the time, that's bloody intrusive and rude.

Loveinstantcat Tue 26-Mar-19 17:02:26

There was a family with 5 children in the house before us and when we moved in he commented how we cant be any louder than the family that had moved out but it seems he is not happy with our house level either!!

mbosnz Tue 26-Mar-19 17:04:37

Try a pre-emptive 'sigh, yes, what is it THIS time Mr whateverthegrumpyoldsod'sname is'. . .

swingofthings Tue 26-Mar-19 17:04:54

Hearing children laughing is lovely. Gives you a warm feeling. Hearing kids screaming, screeching when it makes your heart beats faster is absolutely horrible. Most young kids will start screaming at some point. When mine did, I gave rhem a warning, if they did it again, they had to come in. It happened a few times, they kickly learn.

I've had noisy neighbours who wouldn't tolerate their kids being half as noisy inside their house but thought it perfectly acceptable to let them scream and shout in the garden... when they stayed inside and didn't consider twice that neighbours in their adjacent gardens didn't want to disturbed by the noise anymore then they did inside.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »