Talk

Advanced search

AIBU not wanting midweek party at 8pm

(20 Posts)
tiny1weeny Tue 26-Mar-19 14:18:00

Would appreciate comments on this as I'm getting hassled by a company I have said I would host a party for (like a tupperware kinda thing but all different house stuff) and it's making me feel a bit stupid to be honest... anyway - they have insisted that I can't have any at weekends, just weekday starting at 7:30 onwards. I'm normally alone on weeknights so once done bedtimes for the kids (6 and 4) it's past 7:30pm, my house is a tip and I'm knackered. But I'm getting a bit of flack now to have a midweek one as apparently "no one else normally has an issue with a midweek party". I just know if I have a house full of people I would have ZERO chance of my two staying in bed and would probably spend the entire night taking them back to bed and not being chilled and watching the demos. I'm not normally massively sensitive but have been made to feel like I'm being a bit weird to say no to a midweek hosted party at mine right smack in the middle of bedtime. Got no option of sitters and husband works away most weeks. Plus I wouldnt really want them having an overnighter on a school night... Interested to know if I am indeed being weird or if anyone else would feel the same?

Uptheshard Tue 26-Mar-19 14:20:05

Just say no. I've done Tupperware but always on Saturdays. They are taught to pressurised you. Say no. Can't do. Uts not fair on you or your kids. ....

IWouldPreferNotTo Tue 26-Mar-19 14:20:33

Just cancel and avoid getting sucked into the MLM trap of pointless parties and lost money. No one actually wants to go, they just feel guilted into them as they know the mug who's hosting it is probably losing money on the deal and there might be enough cheap wine to block out the memory of being sold budget chinese sex toys

Crockof Tue 26-Mar-19 14:21:40

Equally no one will want to go on a weeknight. Do you really want this party??

Ragwort Tue 26-Mar-19 14:21:46

Be firm and just say ‘No’, it’s obviously a MLM franchise and they are well experienced at pressurising people.

springbreak3 Tue 26-Mar-19 14:23:34

OMG that sounds awful! Are you sure you want to get involved in the MLM game?!

adulthumanwolf Tue 26-Mar-19 14:26:16

So you've got a pushy MLM host trying to bully you into having a party?

Tell them to get fucked.

FudgeBrownie2019 Tue 26-Mar-19 14:29:23

Oh God no. Mine are older now but even at their ages I wouldn't have a house full on a week night because weeknights are for getting into pyjamas at 7pm and watching Netflix, not hosting nonsense parties where if you're very lucky you might earn a £25 voucher to spend on their tat.

tiny1weeny Tue 26-Mar-19 14:39:29

Thanks everyone, you've made me feel more sane lol. I went to a friends party a few months back and was enticed to sign up to saying I would have one (with the carrot stick of an oven cleaner freebie that i have unsurprisingly never used but has nevertheless put me over a small barrel). Glad you all agree that midweek is not great idea. If I do have one I'll tell them it's weekends, holidays or nowt. I do agree with the MLM comments though, I blame the gin for making me giddy enough to sign up for one in the first place.
It's always the bloody gin lol.
Glad I'm not going (too) mental. Needed a reality check from you lovely lot xx

Drogosnextwife Tue 26-Mar-19 14:39:33

How can they pressure you into it? Do you actually work for them?

adulthumanwolf Tue 26-Mar-19 14:43:12

Tell them you've changed your mind due to their pressuring and don't want to be associated with a company that bullies people into having inconvenient parties.

tiny1weeny Tue 26-Mar-19 14:48:26

Drogos, no its just me being a bit overly sensitive to their hassle techniques I guess.
Thanks everyone xx

BlueSkiesLies Tue 26-Mar-19 15:00:28

"I'm finding the pressure really off putting. If we can't do a weekend party then we'll just have to call it off I'm afraid"

PotsOfJoy Tue 26-Mar-19 15:33:56

It's not a party its a sales pitch for overpriced rubbish you don't need, on their terms. Can you not buy what you want/need from Amazon, Poundland or anywhere else rather than entertaining these vultures?

CalmdownJanet Tue 26-Mar-19 15:39:49

Give back the oven cleaner and cancel!!! You will end up friendless!!!
"Hi x, I have had a think and actually I'm not interested in hosting. I have made my decision so it's final, please don't tryo pressure me as the pressure to host midweek has already been annoying enough. You can have the oven cleaner back."

FlagranceDirect Tue 26-Mar-19 16:07:40

No chance. It's not even as though it'll be fun.

LL83 Tue 26-Mar-19 16:12:06

They cant do weekend, you cant do midweek perfectly reasonable. If anyone should compromise its seller as they gain the potential customers.

justmyview Tue 26-Mar-19 16:19:02

Giving away a free oven cleaner is a clever trick, isn't it? I'm sure it's intended to make you feel that you absolutely must host this party

Even if everyone else in the world is willing to host a mid week party, that doesn't matter. It's your house, and it's up to you who gets over the threshold

Stay firm and adopt the "stuck record technique". Remember that any answer/excuse you might give, they will have an answer to it. The trick is to not engage in conversation. Don't give them anything they can latch onto

eg

No, mid week isn't convenient

Why not?

It doesn't suit me

Why not?

It doesn't matter why not, I've told you it's not convenient

What's the problem?

I've explained, mid week isn't convenient

But you promised to host a party

Yes, I'm willing to do that, I've given you three weekend dates when I'm available, but midweek is not convenient for me

Most people love coming out mid week, because it saves weekends for precious family time

Well maybe, but midweek isn't convenient for me. We're going round in circles here. I've explained that midweek isn't convenient. I'm willing to host a party on a weekend, but if that doesn't suit you, there's probably not much point in continuing this conversation. Would you like me to host a party on a weekend, or not?

Steamedbadger Tue 26-Mar-19 16:25:52

I would give back the oven cleaner and explain that you have come to your senses your circumstances have changed

tiny1weeny Tue 26-Mar-19 20:22:49

Thanks everyone smile xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »