Talk

Advanced search

is it me or is this a bit insenstive ?

(48 Posts)
BrieAndChilli Tue 26-Mar-19 13:31:25

looking for mothers day gift for MIL and came across this

www.amazon.co.uk/RED-OCEAN-Promoted-Mothers-Plaque/dp/B00XPVBY1U/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=mothers+day+gifts&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1553606543&sr=8-28

basically implying that if your dont have grandkids wou are a bad mother!!
My mother has grandkids and shes an awful mother!
plus the best mothers in the world may never get to be a grandma due for various reasons such as infertility, child chossing not to have kids, kids being in a same sex relationship and not being able to havekids/adopt, death etc et c

Isadora2007 Tue 26-Mar-19 13:34:55

It’s just a gift for an existing Nana. Not a slur on those who don’t have grandkids. Yabu.

12thofnever Tue 26-Mar-19 13:39:21

No, I think it’s just a way of saying that you think your mum is great.

PregnantSea Tue 26-Mar-19 13:39:58

YABVU. It's just a wooden plaque with a meaningless platitude carved into it. If you don't like it then you don't have to buy it.

GiveMeFiveMinutes Tue 26-Mar-19 13:40:46

I think you are reading a bit too much in to this.

Do you think that nothing ought to be manufactured that isn't 100% inclusive of everyone?

What about all of the "mum" slogan mugs etc? Should they not be made in case it offends those who can't have children?

Come to think about it, perhaps the whole concept of Mother's Day is offensive?

Get a grip.

FlirtyRomanticToast Tue 26-Mar-19 15:19:50

I love it. I'd love to get that for my own mum but I don't think I'd get it in time now. I'd definitely buy it if I saw it in a shop.

CandyCreeper Tue 26-Mar-19 15:34:09

Are you always this easily offended?

Orchidflower1 Tue 26-Mar-19 15:36:42

There’s always going to be somebody who is offended by the most innocuous thing.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Tue 26-Mar-19 15:39:53

Nice stealth advertising there OP. Are you the seller?

Travis1 Tue 26-Mar-19 15:42:45

Jesus 🙄 YABridiculouslyU

burritofan Tue 26-Mar-19 15:43:56

I'd rather never have grandchildren than be given something that ugly anyway tbh

ittakes2 Tue 26-Mar-19 15:46:26

Yabu - you are usually only shopping for Nanna presents if you have a Nanna to shop for!

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 26-Mar-19 15:46:54

It must be a disease or syndrome , the rising levels of sensitivity

NCKitten Tue 26-Mar-19 15:49:34

I think it's stupid and naff and potentially insensitive. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be sold, as sadly I don't make the rules the world would be an infinitely better place if I did

Biancadelrioisback Tue 26-Mar-19 15:52:30

Really?

Bluntness100 Tue 26-Mar-19 15:54:51

I really think you're over thinking this, it's a gift for someone who you feel is the best mum/nana, it's not a spite gift for someone who isn't.

Tinkobell Tue 26-Mar-19 15:57:26

I suppose if you were someone desperately waiting for grandkids I could see how that might strike a raw nerve. By the same town if there was a plaque that said "only the best women get promoted to mums" everyone would throw their arms in the air and declare that as cruel and untrue. Personally, I just see that plaque a dumb and brainless, you're over thinking it.

CheeseCakeSunflowers Tue 26-Mar-19 16:00:00

As the Mother of adult offspring who have not yet made me a Nanna, I can only think, phew at least I've dodged that piece of tat.

AliceLiddel Tue 26-Mar-19 16:02:32

surely by your logic thats like saying if i buy my mum a "best mum in the world" or "number one mum" card, it means im saying your mum is shit by comparison? YABU.

HelloBrass Tue 26-Mar-19 16:04:53

I agree that it's 100% tat, but as someone struggling to conceive this does make me feel sad for my mum. She's an amazing mum and would be a fantastic gran. I don't think YBU.

GoldenHour Tue 26-Mar-19 16:05:56

It's tacky and gross though I wouldn't over think it. Wonder what people would say if it said "only the best women get promoted to mothers".

downcasteyes Tue 26-Mar-19 16:19:19

I think for those who are going through the upset and misery of IVF or a diagnosis of infertility, this is upsetting. Someone having kids or grandkids is no sign of their moral or social worth.

It's like a lot of those pieces of tat, though - idiot phrases for idiot people. Why anyone would want to bedeck their house with such tackiness is completely beyond me.

missbattenburg Tue 26-Mar-19 16:26:21

There are indeed lots of reasons why someone might not become a granny in which seeing this plaque for sale might be insensitive. I'm struggling to imagine why those people might be searching for such a thing in the first place, though?

surely by your logic thats like saying if i buy my mum a "best mum in the world" or "number one mum" card, it means im saying your mum is shit by comparison?

Hilarious! My brother (who does not always pay attention like he should) once bought our actual mum a "You're just like a mother to me" card. Now THAT'S insensitive grin

NKFell Tue 26-Mar-19 16:27:05

I think you are reading a bit too much in to this. <--- THIS

Sorry OP but YABU!

zoellafortitude Tue 26-Mar-19 16:29:34

I'm upset that I will never be a grandmother, but I didn't want children so I didn't really think that one through to its logical conclusion grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »