Talk

Advanced search

I have PTSD and my GP has just told me....

(17 Posts)
lickencivers Tue 26-Mar-19 11:53:35

.... that I should look for a new job

Other than the fact I'm pregnant, so can't really be changing jobs right now - AIBU to think that actually a change of job isn't going to stop me having PTSD?

I'm a paramedic, was diagnosed a year ago. I'm in regular counselling. The invasive flashbacks have come back and I'm not sleeping. Can't see counsellor until next week so called GP to ask is there any thing I can take while pregnant to help relax / sleep as pre pregnancy I had taken tamezepan a couple of times.

His advice, change your job. hmm

whitesoxx Tue 26-Mar-19 11:55:20

Have a look at your Ill Health retirement policy OP. If your job is the trigger then things could get much worse if you stay

ChicCroissant Tue 26-Mar-19 11:59:12

Is/was your job the trigger, OP? Sorry about the lack of sleep, it can get to you as it builds up.

Lifeover Tue 26-Mar-19 12:00:56

Are you triggered by things in your job? Tbh I have also suffered ptsd, the erstwhile triggers are still there but I’ve learned to manage them so whilst still distressing do not result I flashbacks etc.

You need to discuss this with a therapist not your GP.

I don’t know anyone (I’m part of quite a large online community of people who have been diagnosed with ptsd) who are now meh about triggers, just learned to manage them!

CheekyChappy710 Tue 26-Mar-19 12:03:28

If the trigger relates to work then GP is right (after mat leave maybe)

lickencivers Tue 26-Mar-19 12:05:41

If by triggers, yes - jobs I've been to, when I sleep run like films through my head. Not all the time, haven't for over a year but over last 3 week's got progressively worse - which is why I've asked work for more sessions with a therapist.

I love my job. On the whole. I don't want to leave. The damage won't go away if I do leave. I'm under a lot of stress at the moment and think perhaps the insomnia and bad dreams are a symptom of that. Changing my job won't change that

whitesoxx Tue 26-Mar-19 12:08:53

With therapy the damage can go away if you leave. With PTSD avoidance of triggers can be the simplest thing that helps.

Putting yourself in the situation repeatedly won't help. Such a shame though as you say you love your job

Thisisthelaststraw Tue 26-Mar-19 12:11:12

Is it one specific callout or a collection? Is there peer support available? I find talking about the incident with people who ‘get it’ a lot easier and therapeutic than counselling. Sorry you’re experiencing this. It’s horrible but there is a way to live with it and continue doing a job you love.

mynameiscalypso Tue 26-Mar-19 12:11:52

I think it's a valid point and it's something that has been raised with me before as I have triggers that are work related although it's a different situation plus stress etc makes it worse. At the moment, I don't want to but concede that life would be a lot easier if I did.

In terms of sleeping, I was told there is an antihistamine beginning with P (appreciate this isn't the most helpful...) that the perinatal psych team will prescribe in pregnancy. I don't know if your midwife has referred you to them?

Di11y Tue 26-Mar-19 12:15:59

can I suggest you look into EMDR therapy. it's specifically for PTSD and traumatic incidents. medically rated.

Mrswalliams1 Tue 26-Mar-19 12:34:02

Definitely EMDR. I've known a couple of people whom have had it for PTSD with amazing results. Good luck

Numptysod Tue 26-Mar-19 12:35:28

Have you got referred to psychiatric doctor whom treat these disorders

Dottierichardson Tue 26-Mar-19 12:36:44

I think your GP was thoughtless and had not taken into account your personal circumstances. A medical degree does not a counsellor make.

LittleOwl153 Tue 26-Mar-19 12:40:53

Whilst the GP might be right long term - clearly it is not a short term solution!

How pregnant are you? Presumabily you will not be on full duty late into pregnancy? Is there the scope for you to switch duties earlier given the PTSD and deal with it more fully when you return to work? Would this help?

Try your midwife however - they are more likely to be able to 'prescribe' something safe (even if it involved getting a doc to sign off).

CoachBombay Tue 26-Mar-19 12:47:24

I have PTSD that was related to my job, place of work and the industry I work in. I would get constant flash backs in the building, I because suicidal through it.

My GP supported me with signing me off, medication. The company I worked for very generously paid for councilleing with no strings attached.

After nearly 3months of not being in work, my PTSD was manageable. I realised it was time to walk away from my career, that I had worked very hard to achieve, I was in a top managerial position but ultimately my health, my family my life came first.

I've now changed the industry I work in, the job I do. Everything and life is so much better.

I still get flashbacks, anxiety attacks sometimes but they are few and far between. Sadly work was the trigger, and I needed to remove the trigger.

I hope you feel better soon OP, perhaps speak to oc health, a different GP of anything can be done in the immediate term to safeguard you and your pregnancy.

SummerInSun Tue 26-Mar-19 13:08:01

No specific advice, but I noticed that you say your are pregnant now. I had all kinds of deeply weird and upsetting dreams when I was pregnant - I think it's quite a common pregnancy symptom, even without your previous history? They went away after birth (possibly because I was so tired caring for a newborn that I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow).

I think it's nuts of the GP to suggest that you should quit a job which you presumably enjoy just because of a few rough weeks. And for what it's worth, the rest of us are incredibly fortunate that good decent people will do really tough but vital jobs like being a paramedic. So thank you from me!

Loopytiles Tue 26-Mar-19 13:10:09

Your GP wasn’t being U to make the suggestion.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »