Talk

Advanced search

Brexit

(155 Posts)
Shitty Tue 26-Mar-19 11:21:41

New user first post
Hi everyone
Am I alone I thinking that we had a vote to leave the European union and the majority said leave ?
So can anyone tell me why those idiots in parliament who are there to to serve us think its ok to ignore the mandate given to them by the British people and are doing anything to reverse the decision what happens it we have an election and they don't like the outcome of that do have another until they are happy???. We voted out and there wasn't any mention of a deal on the voting sheet . Out means out i m afraid as voted for so get on with it so we can move forward.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 26-Mar-19 11:27:25

Because they don’t want the country to commit economic suicide.

whitesoxx Tue 26-Mar-19 11:31:24

There's a brexit board specifically for these threads

ItsAllGone19 Tue 26-Mar-19 11:31:46

Apt username to match your intellect and attitude OP

Shitty Tue 26-Mar-19 11:32:09

So why have a vote in the first place if they are going to ignore it??

SeeYouLaterUserData Tue 26-Mar-19 11:32:56

Because the Leave campaigns broke electoral law as ruled in the courts?

Shitty Tue 26-Mar-19 11:36:10

I take it your one of the wingers how doesn't like it when you don't get your way try to be original when trying to insult someone

Ragnarthe Tue 26-Mar-19 11:36:32

I didn't want a referendum. We only had one because David Cameron underestimated his arch-enemies.

SeeYouLaterUserData Tue 26-Mar-19 11:36:45

Maybe they couldn't quite believe that so many people would vote for a campaign led by 2 of the nations most infamous racists - Boris "picanninies" Johnson and Nigel "National Front" Farage with nothing underpinning it except for lies and hatred? (lol at the "shock" about these guys named themselves the "Grand Wizards" over the weekend).

Just my humble opinion, of course.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 26-Mar-19 11:38:11

OP You are wrong. Sorry to break it to you bluntly.

The result of the vote was to leave (I summarise) on a negotiated deal that was acceptable to the UK Parliament and all other 27 members of the EU.

Quite clearly that isnt the case as last nights shennanigans was (I quote again)^ to allow a different interpretation of Brexit^

So to summarise, no one knows what "Brexit means Brexit" actually means and "Leave means Leave" means different things to different people - the whole fiasco needs sweeping away.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 26-Mar-19 11:40:17

The Referendum was only advisory anyway.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Tue 26-Mar-19 11:42:08

vote for a campaign led by 2 of the nations most infamous racists

oh the irony when you consider the views of Eastern Europe!

SeeYouLaterUserData Tue 26-Mar-19 11:43:26

The Referendum was only advisory anyway. Yes. W hich is exactly why the courts ruled that that illegality surrounding it could not result in it being nullified; only because there was no legal obligation to implement it in the first place.

FaFoutis Tue 26-Mar-19 11:45:00

We have had quite a few elections in this country. Not just one.

Bluntness100 Tue 26-Mar-19 11:46:11

The privy council, made up of government officials has briefed the leaders on what they expect in no deal, it is deeply disturbing by all accounts, and includes both food and medicine shortages,

The leave campaign promised a land of milk and honey. How we would be better off. They did not say you may loose your job, you will be three thousand pounds per household worse off every year and it is likely your child won't get their medicine,

How many people would have voted for it if it did?

They are trying to do the responsible thing and avoid no deal

Educate yourself.

MuseumofInnocence Tue 26-Mar-19 11:46:17

Am I alone I thinking that we had a vote to leave the European union and the majority said leave ?

Well you're not alone there as it is a fact, however ... I don't understand why you think your interpretation of what leave meant should be implemented, or even why you think a vote in 2016 should force the implementation of what our democratically elected representatives do in the best interests of the country and their constituents.

Shitty Tue 26-Mar-19 11:47:27

Plainspeakingstraighttalking
I stand corrected but I still agree with the vote we voted out so out it should be no matter how that looks your right about the shenanigans in parliament we are a comedy show at the moment

SeeYouLaterUserData Tue 26-Mar-19 11:51:28

The UK is a parliamentary democracy, not a plebiscite. It's been spectacularly frustrating explaining this most basic fact to Leavers who truly believe they are so well informed. Honestly, if you don't even know what the basic democratic system is here, maybe you need to reflect on the validity of your participation in it at all.

Parker231 Tue 26-Mar-19 11:52:51

Because committing economic and financial suicide isn’t in anyone’s interest and has to be avoided even if it means staying in the EU.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Tue 26-Mar-19 11:55:29

Problem is it will be political suicide for whichever party doesn't follow through with "leaving"

Pinkginxx Tue 26-Mar-19 11:57:57

How do you propose we manage trade deals if we crash out? How do you believe financial services will adapt their international business without passporting rights? How do you propose to solve the Irish border problem and ensure peace within the UK? How will you fill the gaps in labour shortage (particularly Care and Nursing) without EU immigrants? How do you propose we re-write the treatises signed as part of the EU which range from everything to Animal welfare to workers rights?

oatmilk4breakfast Tue 26-Mar-19 11:59:02

The referendum was advisory.

Other countries have referenda and then plan sensible courses of action about best way to move forward taking vote as a guide, sometimes going back for another vote once people have more info.

Yes we live in a democracy, thank God. But this wasn’t the same as a general election vote and be done with it. We don’t get another vote in 4 years if we don’t like the outcome. This is a vote with impacts that will be felt for generations, largely by people who weren’t able to vote. You don’t want a deal with our closest trading partners? Are you so rich that you don’t think you’ll feel any consequences of our economy completely tanking? Or are you so poor that you feel it couldn’t make a difference? It’s not just the humous and olive eating middle classes that will feel this. This country is being hollowed out and all it’s safety nets being undermined by a governing party that doesn’t believe in society.

The voting public who did vote were lied to. There was fraud.

So given all that I think people who voted to remain - almost as many millions as leave by the way - have an absolute right to insist that the Govt handles it better, even if that means leave it didn’t have to be like this, teetering on a cliff edge and threatening businesses and lives. They also have a right to exercise their freedom of speech to say we’d rather not be leaving the EU thanks. And MPs have a duty to their constituents to make sure that a deal is done in the national interest.

Being part of the EU has been great for Britain. It’s meant money for regenerative projects all over Wales, clean beaches everywhere, environmental protections and working standards that are the envy of the world (unless you are a disaster capitalist) and it has meant we have grown up in an age of unprecedented peace and stability. The world has changed, and much as it needs to change again (and get to grips with the incompatibility of relentless economic growth models with climate change) we were part of something bigger. The way Brexit is currently being handled is actively diminishing our status on the global stage to the point that it will be laughable to think we’ll have any influence and leverage left.

Fine, let’s leave if you want, but what I don’t understand is why leavers are so persistently angry - what are worried about? You’re getting what you want one way or the other. Why aren’t you more concerned about what’s coming after Brexit? Is your job at risk of automation in the next decade? Because post Brexit I wouldn’t have any faith in workers rights legislation to help you retrain and move into a new job.

It’s not people who wanted to remain in the EU who are ducking it up. What’s your vision? Where are you headed? What’s better about it? Or is just out means out? Why is it all so childish?

Have you heard what Brexiteer MPs have to say about manufacturing in a post Brexit Britain... “...we’ll just have to run it down...like we ran down coal...” hope it works out well for you in Brexit land.

I hope we can fix the mess this country is in.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 26-Mar-19 12:00:11

Ok, but what did —you— we vote on?

Leave, but what Leave? A soft and a hard Brexit are worlds apart. There is no ‘one size fits all situation here.

It’s unclear what the voters had in mind so you can’t just say “We voted, let’s Leave”.

DontMakeMeShushYou Tue 26-Mar-19 12:01:54

So can anyone tell me why those idiots in parliament who are there to to serve us think its ok to ignore the mandate given to them by the British people and are doing anything to reverse the decision
They are there to represent their electorate. The electorate in each constituency chooses the candidate who most closely represents their views. When it came to the 2017 general election, many leave-voting constituencies re-elected their incumbent MP despite, in many cases, those MPs having been remainers in the run-up to the referendum. If the electorate chooses to elect a remainer to represent them in Parliament, one must assume that is what they wanted, whatever they may have voted for before.

what happens it we have an election and they don't like the outcome of that do have another until they are happy???.
Yes, that's exactly what happens. We have an election every 5 years so we can choose a different MP to represent us if we weren't happy with the one we had.

We voted out and there wasn't any mention of a deal on the voting sheet.
I'm not sure you understand the concept of a 'deal' in this scenario.

Shitty Tue 26-Mar-19 12:01:56

If we are a democracy then votes have to count for something and just because you think they have voted wrongly doesn't make you right I'm obviously not the only one who needs educated .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »