Talk

Advanced search

Why do people make such a big deal about mothers day?

(17 Posts)
Badwifey Tue 26-Mar-19 10:10:52

I've lost count of the number of threads lately about women moaning about mothers day not being special enough. Why is being made such a big deal... meals out, flowers, presents, cards, only doing what the mother wants, refusing to share mothers day with in laws etc.
When I was younger, mothers day was breakfast in bed for my mam, a card and some flowers or chocolates. She then went about the day as usual and went for a drink with her sisters in the evening.
Why are women so precious these days... All me me me?

PhillipeFellope Tue 26-Mar-19 10:19:28

grin grin grin at this... Why are women so precious these days... All me me me? I genuinely laughed out loud at that OP. Good try.

AlbertWinestein Tue 26-Mar-19 10:22:12

You know your Mum probably arrived at the pub with her sister and said, “Those ungrateful brats. One flippin’ day and they can’t be arsed to do more than a crappy card and breakfast. Fuckers”, right?

mrsstephens89 Tue 26-Mar-19 10:23:09

I kind of agree with you OP. I don’t get the hype either!

thefirst48 Tue 26-Mar-19 10:23:46

Totally totally agree. I couldn't give a rats arse about mother's day tbh. I'll get my own mother a card and a small gift but that's it.

Sicario Tue 26-Mar-19 10:25:31

I couldn't give a shit about mother's day either. All those ridiculous arrangements while trying to please too many people. BUGGER OFF!

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Tue 26-Mar-19 10:29:35

But you could say the same about any celebration being different from how it used to be.

When do you put your Christmas tree up, OP? I’ll bet it’s weeks before your parents one would have gone up. Halloween? Not how it was when I was a kid. Father’s Day? Didn’t even exist.

The way we celebrate changes over time.

Jackshouse Tue 26-Mar-19 10:33:01

My MIL is very precious about Mother’s Day but my Mum isn’t. By precious I mean kicking of big style when DH did not want to spend the full day with her on the first year we had a child because he actually wanted to spend time with his with a child. My Mum does generally really enjoy seeing us but would never put any pressure on us to spend time with her. Guess which one we have decided it would be more enjoyable to spend time with on the day?

blackcoffeeinbed Tue 26-Mar-19 10:34:46

As a mum the best thing I can receive on Mother's Day are the handmade little bits my boys have made me at school, like pasta necklaces and paper flowers lol. I don't need a fuss, same as my mum. I always try to get her something (flowers, chocolates, a mug or plaque or a candle) but 2 years ago I was broke so me and the kids made her a card and she loved it so much it's in a frame in her hallway still today. I think it's important to show your mum some appreciation but you should be doing that everyday anyway (providing they deserve it, not all do). It's each to their own really, some people may be able to afford expensive gifts and meals out and they want to do that which is up to them, but it's not expected or always doable in my family.

Chocolateisfab Tue 26-Mar-19 10:38:08

I am not precious but my dc are . Its a day they try extra hard to get along!! Work together to make lunch! It's a day to be proud - and glad -I had so so many dc!
No chores /laundry /tech - a day to reflect for me personally, I have this fab family! And of course to feel appreciated as they give me hand made cards and lovingly chosen little gifts.
And usually a foot rub!
It goes a lot deeper than commercial crap for us.

whitesoxx Tue 26-Mar-19 10:39:27

Your mum had a card, flowers, breakfast in bed, night out.....so you did Mother's Day then?! hmm

bilbodog Tue 26-Mar-19 10:40:39

Some people seem to spend their lives making a fuss about everything so i expect these are the same people making a big deal out of mothers day. Just breathe and let all the fuss pass you by 🤣🤣

havingtochangeusernameagain Tue 26-Mar-19 10:44:03

Totally agree. Such a load of nonsense and an excuse for pubs/restaurants to put on overpriced special menus and provide rubbish service because they are too busy.

Much like Valentine's Day.

Sweetbabycheezits Tue 26-Mar-19 10:48:37

God yes...I like a bit of fuss, but I generally feel like my DCs and DH appreciate the things I do on the day to day, so I am not expecting to be queen for a day! It's an excuse for us to have some nice cake, and maybe a mimosa lol, but other than that, it will be a regular Sunday!

BeanTownNancy Tue 26-Mar-19 10:51:50

I've booked myself and my mum in for a spa day. But that's less to do with it being mother's day and more to do with me being 35 weeks pregnant and wanting to spend a day lounging and floating in the water like a whale.

My husband always makes sure to buy me something nice "from" our son (he's 2). It doesn't have to be much, but for example he got me a card with a collage of pictures of me and our son. It's nice to feel appreciated for all of the effort we both put in to raising our son, because day to day sometimes we forget to mention it as much as we should. But I think mother's day and father's day should be treated much the same - if the woman wants to be treated and pampered with breakfast in bed then she has to do the same for her husband a couple of months later (until the kids are old enough to do it themselves).

Badwifey Tue 26-Mar-19 11:59:04

Albert I know full well she never complained. My mam is appreciated on a daily basis by us all. She never expected anything and was more than grateful for the things she did get.
Yes whitesoxx we did mark the occasion but there was never any pressure for "The perfect day".
And yes Fillippe there are a huge number of "precious" women on this site.

PhillipeFellope Tue 26-Mar-19 12:43:26

Different people expect/like/want different things! Shocker! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »