Talk

Advanced search

Holiday home advice

(9 Posts)
TooManyBiscuitsNotEnoughTea Tue 26-Mar-19 09:42:50

I purchased a holiday home (static caravan on a park) last year and I am considering renting it out.

Does anyone have any advice on pricing and rules etc? I am very new to this. I just want to make back my ground rent.

The caravan is based in Tenby, Wales.

Also do I need to seek legal advice for insurances etc? Like I say, I am new to this and dont know where to start!

TooManyBiscuitsNotEnoughTea Tue 26-Mar-19 09:45:34

I have just read up a little, will need my equipment PAT tested and obtain gas safety certificates for starters

Elphame Tue 26-Mar-19 09:48:06

Take a look at www.laymyhat.com.

It's a forum for holiday let owners and you'll find lots of helpful advice there.

Dramatical Tue 26-Mar-19 09:58:38

My advice would be...dont!

I have friends who did this on a haven park, the idea was to make a bit of money over and above the running costs. All they ever did was pay heavy fees, have problems with breakages/theft and they were constantly fork out for replacement items (doors and walls included)

TooManyBiscuitsNotEnoughTea Tue 26-Mar-19 12:21:21

@Dramatical Oh dear!

Thanks for the tips everyone, I will take a look at that website.

Maybe I shouldn't rent it out, I dont want to risk the damage.

youknowmedontyou Tue 26-Mar-19 12:25:08

I did this last year, went live 1st July although it's a bungalow and not on a site. Nothing broken, stolen. We've enough bookings to make a small profit this year and expect more. Maybe its different on a site though?

We use an agent to let, it's well worth it!

Holidaylover Tue 26-Mar-19 14:28:48

You will definitely get damage. We have a static on a site in North Wales. We don't rent it out.
A couple had one near to us for just 12 months, they paid a lot for the van. They had never ending problems renting it out and so much damage. They have now left and the van is up for sale for 75% less than what they paid for it

Elphame Tue 26-Mar-19 16:59:53

You will inevitably get damage. Holiday lets have a hard life and statics especially so.

It may be your pride and joy but some people think because they are paying you for it they can treat it how they like.

My let is run as a business (although we do use it ourselves a few weeks a year). It's furnished and equipped to be as "holiday maker proof" as possible and there is nothing there that has any sentimental value at all. It's not as I would have it if it wasn't used by others but I'd be heartbroken if anything that had value to me was broken or stolen. As it is I can just replace with more of the same.

Fortunately the good guests far out number the bad.

Caterinaballerina Tue 26-Mar-19 17:14:30

Could you make enough money to cover your ground rent by renting it at ‘mates rates’ to people you know? Maybe knowing the owner would encourage greater respect for your caravan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »