Advanced search

AIBU to not want to pay in full?

(185 Posts)
ThatFalseEquivalenceTho Tue 26-Mar-19 08:35:08

I’d say as it’s an error on their part, not yours, that they should allow you to pay it off in chunks.

Allyg1185 Tue 26-Mar-19 08:34:54

You need to pay and it all at once. Don't understand how you didn't notice. I had seperate account for nursery fees after there was a mix up one month and I paid twice.

How would you feel if your employer forgot to pay you but then told you you were only getting £100 a month for the next 9 months. Don't think you would stand for that!

havingtochangeusernameagain Tue 26-Mar-19 08:32:59

Not sure they would win a court case. You did pay them. It's their fault they didn't bank the cheques in time.

Did you pay a deposit - are they actually out of pocket?

However, the practical point is that they are insisting on payment or they won't take your ds after Easter. Can you find somewhere else? If not, I think they have you over a barrel, sadly.

insancerre Tue 26-Mar-19 08:26:32

There is no way you didn’t notice over £500 extra in your account
You need to pay up
If they take you to court I think they will win

Di11y Tue 26-Mar-19 08:23:30

I agree paying over 6 months seems a reasonable compromise. dh says go to board of trustees if they refuse.

Cautionsharpblade Tue 26-Mar-19 08:22:47

If I were them I’d take you to small claims court. And win.

mummmy2017 Tue 26-Mar-19 08:21:39

And how would you feel working for 2 months, realising you didn't get paid, and then find out your boss won't pay you.
This will go to court they will win.

Waveysnail Tue 26-Mar-19 08:17:18

This has happened to me and why I have separate account for childcare cheques. If they aren't cashed the money is still there. You don't want to pay but depends if you can find alternative childcare after Easter? I would pay.

SileneOliveira Tue 26-Mar-19 08:13:04

You need to pay. But agree that paying it off over a period is reasonable. Not sure of the legal position.

But they need a new business manager or accountant!

Lincspeeps Tue 26-Mar-19 07:57:52

DD is in before and after-school childcare in a small place near Peterborough. We used them for DS for three years and DD has been there for five years. Never had any problems with them and have got to know staff very well.

Last week we had a call to say that due to an admin oversight our cheques from May and July 2018 have never been banked (total of £580) and as they are almost 9 and 11 months old they need replacements as the bank won't take them.

We hadn't realised they hadn't been banked and, being honest, that money is no longer available. Obviously an error on their part and on ours. We have offered to pay them £100 per month but they want it all or they won't accommodate DS after Easter.

AIBU to not want to pay it all out. We would have to go into overdrafts to find the lump sum and would be charged. As it's a dual error I don't think £100 per month for six months is it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »