Talk

Advanced search

A LARGE box of chocolates.

(172 Posts)
tokirara Tue 26-Mar-19 00:46:05

Just discovered that my DH scoffed the entirety of a large box of Lindt assorted chocolates over the weekend by himself (bar two pieces that he offered me on Friday).

I feel... Repulsed. We rarely buy 'treats' (his idea) because he has poor self control. He bought these on Friday with the excuse reason that it was an anniversary weekend.

I only know about the choc demolition because I had a peek inside the box just now only to find a few empty wrappers shock. It's also the fact that the box is left in place...

AIBU to feel this way? Genuinely conflicted .. I feel somewhat controlling .

peachesandclean Tue 26-Mar-19 00:49:39

u ok hun?

Boredgiraffes Tue 26-Mar-19 00:53:42

You bought them on Friday, but you only just looked. Surely that’s like putting a treat in front of a dog and telling it not to eat it for 3 days. Sorry I would have eaten them too waiting that long and would feel guilty

CircleofWillis Tue 26-Mar-19 00:54:09

So if he started on Friday that is three lindor chocolates a day. Hardly repulsive!

tokirara Tue 26-Mar-19 01:00:47

I might be unreasonable, but it wasn't 3 a day - "337g pack should contain roughly 26 to 27 pieces"

LikeACowsOpinion Tue 26-Mar-19 01:04:25

Totally unreasonable.

Repulsed? It's chocolate for fucks sake, not heroin.

Ribrabrob Tue 26-Mar-19 01:06:23

You seem a bit crazy

CheerioHunter Tue 26-Mar-19 01:07:12

Haha.
They were "limited edition" too. Divorce him, take him for everything he has.

SneakyGremlins Tue 26-Mar-19 01:07:36

I ate one of those boxes in a day. It was my birthday, but still.

nocoolnamesleft Tue 26-Mar-19 01:09:34

A box in a day might be slightly excessive. In the course of a weekend? Hardly unusual. Why didn't you have some earlier?

LaBelleSauvage Tue 26-Mar-19 01:11:33

YABU

I really fancy some Lindt now

SleepingStandingUp Tue 26-Mar-19 01:11:49

Pack ccontains say 26. You ate 2. That's 24. Friday. Saturday. Sunday. Monday.

That's 6 a day. Easily done if he's having me each time he goes in the kitchen etc.

And you know he has poor self control so will just keep taking one out the box every time it's near.

And it's not a large box of chocs.

But if you're repulsed by your partner for something he'd likely do again and isn't sorry for, you should probably consider leaving him

HennyPennyHorror Tue 26-Mar-19 01:22:03

Do you have issues with food? I could eat 26 lindor over two days. Easily. I'm not overweight either.

Redglitter Tue 26-Mar-19 01:23:06

Ffs it's not like he ate them in the space of a couple of hours? Repulsed seems a huge over reaction

nocoolnamesleft Tue 26-Mar-19 01:25:41

Let me explain. This is a big box of chocolates. Hope that helps.

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Tue 26-Mar-19 01:27:44

Repulsed? Really? He had 6 a day not 60 hmm

Walnutwhipster Tue 26-Mar-19 01:28:57

6 chocolates a day and you're repulsed? That's weird.

Preggosaurus9 Tue 26-Mar-19 01:30:35

337g is not a LARGE box of chocolates. Kinda bizarre that you think so!

I'd easily demolish that in 1 day. Rightly so, Lindt is addictive.

If it bothers you that much, next time buy two LARGE boxes. One for you, one for DH.

SneakyGremlins Tue 26-Mar-19 01:30:42

@nocoolnamesleft shock

Lovingbenidorm Tue 26-Mar-19 01:35:25

Welcome to my world.
I don’t eat chocolate very often, maybe 2 slices of chocolate orange or 2 triangles of toblerone a week.
I go to the cupboard
It’s all gone
Bastards

NunoGoncalves Tue 26-Mar-19 01:43:00

Huge overreaction, OP.

Purpleartichoke Tue 26-Mar-19 01:49:34

Fair to be unhappy he ate more than half. Repulsed? No.

PillowTalker Tue 26-Mar-19 01:54:10

Somewhere else there's a "WIBU to comfort eat and binge whole box of chocolates to escape my overbearing and controlling wife" thread

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 26-Mar-19 02:08:09

Well I would be repulsed by someone so lacking in self control that they pig out their greedy face on an entire box of chocolates that was meant to be shared.

But if past threads are anything to go by, I am in the minority on MN. Apparently stealing a partners/colleagues/childs possessions are fine as long as they are made of chocolate as they dont seem to count if the greedy pig just wants them hmm

StoppinBy Tue 26-Mar-19 02:08:23

Haha - of my DH did that the only feeling I would have is to be pissed off.... half those chocolates were mine....mine....all mine.

Then I would buy my own and eat them all and only give him one lol

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 26-Mar-19 02:09:10

And I would consider it to be a large box too, but again I am clearly in the minority.

StoppinBy Tue 26-Mar-19 02:09:28

actually that's not really true, I would offer him one when there were only the wrappers left then enjoy watching him try to find one knowing full well there were none left hehehe

Monty27 Tue 26-Mar-19 02:14:18

Wrap a dishwasher tablet in one of the empty wrappers.
No that's bonkers, don't do that.
Got any ice-cream OP?

BusterGonad Tue 26-Mar-19 02:31:59

That's not large imo. I too would be annoyed but not repulsed. I would've hidden them tbh.

violetbunny Tue 26-Mar-19 02:32:47

I'm 5"2 and weigh 48kg. I'd happily demolish those in 3 days if they were in the house at the same time as me grin

Monty27 Tue 26-Mar-19 02:36:12

@violet I'm 5'3" 52kg and would do the same
Ice-cream is my back up grin

whiskeysourpuss Tue 26-Mar-19 02:37:42

I hope my kids have a better grasp of what constitutes a large box of chocolates than the OP come Sunday grin

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 26-Mar-19 02:39:18

When did being greedy and selfish become hilarious?

Desmondo2016 Tue 26-Mar-19 02:40:19

I don't think it's crime of the century to be honest.

Margot33 Tue 26-Mar-19 02:53:20

If you knew he had no self control then you should pick out 10, and save them else where.

sam221 Tue 26-Mar-19 02:55:46

That really is not a huge amount and easily done. Maybe lighten up a little and just buy more?

blackcat86 Tue 26-Mar-19 02:57:41

I think you should speak to your GP about your issues with food. Maybe you do feel repulsed but please acknowledge the damage your behaviour is doing to your poor partner who is probably too paranoid to enjoy food. He bought the treat and ate the treat. The only issue I see is how seriously you're taking it

brizzlemint Tue 26-Mar-19 03:02:48

If you are going to eat the whole box does it matter if it's all in one day or over several ? grin

RhiWrites Tue 26-Mar-19 03:06:17

Why is OP to blame because she knew about his issues with self control?

They bought it to share and she had only 13% of the chocolate. That’s like an 1/8th!

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 26-Mar-19 03:11:37

Why is OP to blame because she knew about his issues with self control?

Because its chocolate hmm

If he was an alcoholic who bought a bottle of wine to share and then necked the lot, I am sure no one would be telling her she should have hidden her half.......

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 26-Mar-19 03:13:02

I think you should speak to your GP about your issues with food. Maybe you do feel repulsed but please acknowledge the damage your behaviour is doing to your poor partner who is probably too paranoid to enjoy food. He bought the treat and ate the treat. The only issue I see is how seriously you're taking it

Really? REALLY?!

He ate the lot that were supposed to be shared and she is the one with food issues?!

StoppinBy Tue 26-Mar-19 03:13:34

@rhiwhites, sounds to me like op's partner bought them because he wanted to eat them but needed an excuse because op wont let him buy junk food without a special reason.

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 26-Mar-19 03:15:27

sounds to me like op's partner bought them because he wanted to eat them but needed an excuse because op wont let him buy junk food without a special reason.

From the OP ...... We rarely buy 'treats' (his idea) because he has poor self control.

PregnantSea Tue 26-Mar-19 03:21:20

I'd be a bit disappointed that we didn't to share them, considering it was supposed to be for your anniversary weekend. But they were there for 3 days and you barely touched them? That's your own fault. And you feel "repulsed"? That's a horrible thing to say about your DH when you know he he struggles not to eat sweets if they're in the house. How would you feel if you had eaten the chocolates and then your partner said he was repulse by you? You are shaming your DH. Comes off as cruel. Please don't make a habit of behaving like you are repulsed by your partner's eating, that's really unfair on him and you're going to end up making him unhappy and giving him issues around food. It doesn't help anything.

I actually feel really sorry for your DH.

vinegarqueen Tue 26-Mar-19 03:28:00

You sound like you have some issues around food, OP. YANBU to be annoyed if you were expecting to eat some yourself and just found sad empty wrappers, or if it was a big expenditure for the household and he gobbled it, but the fact that you control what he eats normally and restrict ”treats” is giving off the vibe that you don't want chocolate in the house at all, even though he obviously likes it. Even if he were very overweight the occasional box of chocolate over a whole weekend isn't really a cause for disgust or repulsion.

strawberrisc Tue 26-Mar-19 03:52:45

I’d start phoning Jeremy Kyle, see if he’ll offer a three month rehab with Perry Clayman.

vinegarqueen Tue 26-Mar-19 05:29:46

oops, totally missed that the food restriction is his idea! blush Sorry!

Shoxfordian Tue 26-Mar-19 05:42:28

Are you annoyed because he's eaten all the chocolate or because he didn't share?

Repulsed is a really odd word to use

stayathomer Tue 26-Mar-19 05:47:28

Up in morning, sneak one, lunch, sneak one, later in the day, sneak one, sitting down at night time, have a few, feel sick, put away. Repeat. Not great but if this was you piss e d off you got none then fine, but repulsed is a very different thing. Is it that he's put on weight or something?

cocomelon23 Tue 26-Mar-19 05:48:50

I'd be the same as op. We'd never eat a box of chocolates over a weekend between us let alone one of us eating one. They were bought for both of them and the dh ate all of them. How is that ok?

Alienspaceship Tue 26-Mar-19 05:51:47

Where does the issue lie here? Do you or he have dysfunctional eating issues i.e. eating disorder or weight issues?

Hamsterdancer Tue 26-Mar-19 05:52:47

I would be repulsed too those ones wre disgusting.

donajimena Tue 26-Mar-19 05:57:27

I'd be bloody annoyed too. Those would last me 3 weeks.

MaybeitsMaybelline Tue 26-Mar-19 06:00:58

I could do 3/4 box in one night, I would feel a bit sick though. As long as they weren’t your chocolates I think this is a non issue.

Bluntness100 Tue 26-Mar-19 06:01:39

Repulsed lol. 🤣🤣🤣

MaybeitsMaybelline Tue 26-Mar-19 06:05:09

Just buy your own treats and hide them, I do it all the time.

Rubusfruticosus Tue 26-Mar-19 06:06:30

300g of chocolate over three days is like eating a block of chocolate a day, that's a lot. It sounds like he could have a sugar addiction.

ThroughASashWindow Tue 26-Mar-19 06:08:17

Repulsed? Don't be silly. He's a grown man, he can eat as many chocolates as he likes. It's not a moral issue for goodness sake. There will be something about you that "repulses" him, but he puts up with it. Remember that.

Mmmmbrekkie Tue 26-Mar-19 06:12:43

Repulsed? no

Baffled that he would want to do that? Very much so

But clearly us of this view are in the minority!

Teddyreddy Tue 26-Mar-19 06:13:09

Repulsed is an odd choice of words, but I'd be annoyed if DH ate all of a joint box of chocolates in a weekend and then left the empty box sitting in the cupboard.

I love chocolate but can't eat very much of it at once and often don't feel like it, it can take me months to finish a box of chocolates. DH is a scoffer. DH and I have come to the compromise that we now mostly buy separate boxes. I get truffles (which are expensive) bought very infrequently which he isn't allowed to touch as he'd scoff them before I'd had more than a couple, and boxes of stuff like Lindor bought more frequently for him that he can do what he likes with.

Birdie6 Tue 26-Mar-19 06:13:26

Repulsed ? Odd word to use . You already know he "lacks control" so really, why were you so shocked and repulsed ? 23 Lindt balls over a weekend is hardly a huge amount - most people would easily consume that amount over a weekend.

Nacreous Tue 26-Mar-19 06:20:14

Obviously it's rubbish not to have had your fair share, but I think separate boxes is the best way to go for this, because it means everyone gets to consume that same amount over different times.

It would also be quite mean to insist he could only have e.g. one chocolate every other day because you wanted to make them last a month. If there isn't a money problem with buying more (I think Lindor are usually about £3.50 for that many in Asda) then I'd probably just buy another box that's just for you.

If he'd still eat all yours in a two box scenario then that's really not cool.

finn1020 Tue 26-Mar-19 06:24:02

Thanks, you reminded me we have some rocky road chocolate hidden from the kids somewhere...

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Tue 26-Mar-19 06:34:20

Do you have issues with food and eating generally OP?

I'd be annoyed he didn't share, but repulsed is a strange word to use in this context.

Don't buy chocolates if you're going to use it as a test and loath him got failing.

....happy anniversary 🤷🏻‍♀️

chocatoo Tue 26-Mar-19 06:35:41

I understand. It’s the greediness and the fact that he hasn’t left any for OP. The only thing I can suggest is that he should buy another box and that OP hide them away and bring them out a couple or so at a time.

JenniferJareau Tue 26-Mar-19 06:38:44

We rarely buy 'treats' (his idea) because he has poor self control. He bought these on Friday with the excuse reason that it was an anniversary weekend.

Sorry OP but I cannot believe you are surprised by this in any way. You live with a self confessed greedy guts and you knew he used an excuse to buy the chocolates. There was no chance he wasn't going to scoff them quite quickly.

WitsEnding Tue 26-Mar-19 06:50:40

YABU to buy a treat for an anniversary weekend and then not indulge in it during that weekend - that's not how celebrations happen!

Boulshired Tue 26-Mar-19 06:51:25

I would be annoyed, I like to wait until I wanted one and to find an empty box would anger me. I have a “save me some” plate. If on offering I do not fancy it then but would like it later, my share goes on the plate and then everyone knows it’s mine.

RedRiverShore Tue 26-Mar-19 06:51:57

Those boxes aren't that big, they are on offer at Tescos at the moment, I regularly buy them and eat them quite quickly, I also buy the big packs from Amazon when they are on offer and scoff most of them as DH isn't so keen on them.

londonrach Tue 26-Mar-19 06:52:25

Thats a small box. Surprised it lasted so long especially over a weekend. Dh and i would have eaten that in one day. Saying that not a fan of those chocs too sweet so let dh have most. Yabu as if you can wait that long you not really into chocolate 🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫

WitsEnding Tue 26-Mar-19 06:52:43

Sorry, he bought them. You didn't appreciate them which in itself would have annoyed me enough to eat the rest of the packet.

RedRiverShore Tue 26-Mar-19 06:56:20

I did click the thread and expect to see something like the 40 quid Lindt ball selection not some poky little assortment box..

Singlenotsingle Tue 26-Mar-19 06:58:48

So buy yourself a box. He gets none on pain of death.

TotalNoob Tue 26-Mar-19 07:00:35

If I’d bought a box of chocolates on Friday as a treat for an anniversary weekend, I’d assume they were to be eaten over the weekend. You didn’t look for them until Monday night. I’d assume you weren’t interested in them tbh.

And it’s not a huge amount of chocolate to eat. And pretty much a one off.

Buy your own chocolates next time.

Paddington68 Tue 26-Mar-19 07:01:17

LTB

TinselAndKnickers Tue 26-Mar-19 07:08:27

What a great thread to wake up to grin

Sunshineandshowers81 Tue 26-Mar-19 07:09:30

@SleepingStandingUp he's having you each time he goes in the kitchen? Sounds like the op has bigger things to worry about than the chocolate 😂😂😂😂

Tolleshunt Tue 26-Mar-19 07:15:14

It was greedy of him to eat so many. He must have known he had eaten way more than his fair share.

I personally think that is quite a lot of chocolate to eat in that space of time (and Lindor are so sickly - how does he manage it?!). However, I'm not sure I would be 'repulsed', though I would be annoyed at the lack of thought to leave some for me.

As you know he has form for it, I would either insist on separate boxes in future, or have a 'save some for me' box/plate a pp mentioned, and just take some out at the beginning to ensure you do get a look in.

I think if he lacks self-control in general, or is often greedy and selfish, you have a problem. If it's just chocolate that he can't control himself over, work round it as suggested above.

Petalflowers Tue 26-Mar-19 07:15:43

Not sure whether the thread was meant to be light hearted or not, but my teenage son managed to scoff one of those boxes of chocolates in an evening, leaving me the ones he didn’t like. God for my diet, not for my pleasure.

user1483387154 Tue 26-Mar-19 07:17:04

you are completely over reacting

LellyMcKelly Tue 26-Mar-19 07:18:02

LTB

BananasAreTheSourceOfEvil Tue 26-Mar-19 07:21:09

DP will have a big block of chocolate, offer me a bit and unless I say 'yes' and take the chocolate at that point its gone.

Hide what you want to keep. I only like a little bit here and there, but if its on display then it would be gone. he doesnt know theres luxury aldi chocs hidden behind the saucepans

SileneOliveira Tue 26-Mar-19 07:21:39

That's really not a large box of chocolates.

Your language about LARGE boxes of chocolate, feeling repulsed, scoffing and demolition might be appropriate if someone ate that quantity in 4 hours, not 4 days. You really are coming across as someone with very strange attitudes to food.

If that's the case and you're a "two chocolate buttons once a month" type of person, then anyone who eats more is going to appear unreasonable.

Sux2buthen Tue 26-Mar-19 07:23:31

6 a day? Those are rookie numbers

PositiveVibez Tue 26-Mar-19 07:24:05

The thing that would annoy me the most in this scenario, would be putting the empty wrappers back in the box.

Otherwise you are being rather o.t.t.

Repulsed is a tad dramatic.

As pp's have said, over the course of a weekend, it's hardly like he's sat there, button undone on pants with his gut hanging out and his face smeared with chocolate.

Just get another box and tell him they're yours and they can last you 2 months or whatever you deem an acceptable amount of time.

MarvinMarvinson Tue 26-Mar-19 07:24:16

Were they a treat for you both to share? If so I'd understand you being pissed off that he's eaten yours. Repulsed is weird though. It sounds like he doesn't do this often if he rarely has treats in the house. If he just bought them for him because he knew you wouldn't really want any then I don't see what the problem is.

DragonMamma Tue 26-Mar-19 07:24:50

This is such a weird thread. It may be a bit greedy but it’s hardly a kg of chocolate and it wasn’t as though he scoffed the lot in one sitting. He’s probably gone back and forth picking one here and there and not realised

HarrysOwl Tue 26-Mar-19 07:25:07

It took him the whole weekend?

Pfft. Lightweight.

It would take my husband a whole hour.

ThroughASashWindow Tue 26-Mar-19 07:26:17

6 a day? Those are rookie numbers

Oh YES grin

OohYeBelter47 Tue 26-Mar-19 07:29:15

Completely reasonable behaviour IMO and that comes from someone who isn't really into chocs, now if it were crisps... grin

crispysausagerolls Tue 26-Mar-19 07:31:56

This makes me feel sick...but only because those Lindt balls are soooooo sickly! I bought some over Christmas and forced down about 6 and couldn’t have any more and was then annoyed I couldn’t properly scratch my chocolate itch. I would have 0 problem deleting boxes of something less sickly though, nor would my husband - and you sound insane.

SleepingStandingUp Tue 26-Mar-19 07:32:26

@Sunshineandshowers81
Oops.

And I agree half of them

SleepingStandingUp Tue 26-Mar-19 07:32:41

Ate

zingally Tue 26-Mar-19 07:35:12

"Repulsed" is a strong word for your DH polishing off a box of choccies! They were bought as a treat, and other 3 days, he ate them! He probably assumed, I'd say rightly, that you were also diving in the box whenever, and that when they were gone, they're gone. He wasn't to know that you were mysteriously saving your share for 3 days later!

Personally, I'd just buy myself another box and hide them, to eat at leisure! You make out these are some vastly special treat, but come on. A box of Lindor truffles? A fiver? YRBU.

Squickety Tue 26-Mar-19 07:35:47

I would know full well in this house that if we had a big box of Lindor I'd have to stash some away to get my fair share! DH would rattle through those in no time. I'm used to it so now I buy things he doesn't like if I don't want him to eat them all. Tbf he would immediately offer to go out and replace them if I was at all pissed off about it, usually I'm just glad he's saved me the calories

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Tue 26-Mar-19 07:41:03

Everything PyongyangKipperbang said

Pinotjo Tue 26-Mar-19 07:42:21

I get where youre coming from, it's greedy, I buy multi pack crisps every week, they contain 20 pks, my DP proceeds to eat every pkt except the ready salted ones over the course of the weekend, irritates the fuck out of me

ShabbyAbby Tue 26-Mar-19 07:42:41

biscuit

Purplecatshopaholic Tue 26-Mar-19 07:43:36

Jeezo, talk about first world problems! And you were 'repulsed' by his behaviour?? Get a grip

3out Tue 26-Mar-19 07:47:58

Do you normally not allow him to eat sweets? I’m just guessing, because you say he proposed buying them as an anniversary treat. In our house my husband wouldn’t have to come up with a reason before buying chocolate, he’d just buy it (and vice versa).

Eating the box spread over a whole weekend really isn’t an issue. Expecting him to only eat two a day (or one?) to ensure you’re both enjoying them at the same rate is rather odd. I know when you’re out hillwalking that the rule is to walk at the pace of the slowest member of the group, but those rules don’t apply when it comes to a box of chocolates.

You question if you’re controlling, you are right, you are being controlling.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: