Advanced search

To think that schools should allow two days to decide if you want to accept a job

(32 Posts)
Reallytired Wed 11-Jul-07 10:56:20

I been to a job interview today for a job as an ICT technician. I did well at the technical interview. I have another interview on Friday.

The school has told me that if they offer me the job they will not let me wait until Friday to see if I get offered the other job.

Both jobs are similar, but the job that I am having the interview for on Friday is nearer to home. Is it best to take the bird in the hand or the one in the bush.

If I accepted the job that I was interviewed for today and then changed my mind I would be blacklisted by the council for future employment.

In the private sector employers often allow you a week to decide if you take the job.

Katy44 Wed 11-Jul-07 11:02:27

That is strange - did they give their reasons? Do they know about the other interview?
Well done by the way!

izbee Wed 11-Jul-07 11:02:56

Have they offered it to you yet?

mother2b Wed 11-Jul-07 11:10:46

i would accept, if the other one decided they wanted you and you prefered it then you just tell the school a better offer came up

Reallytired Wed 11-Jul-07 11:14:43

" would accept, if the other one decided they wanted you and you prefered it then you just tell the school a better offer came up "

If you do this then you get blacklisted by the council.

I haven't yet been offered the job, I know I did well at the technical interview. They had two other people to interview me after me. I know that I managed the technical interview easily.

Notquitegrownup Wed 11-Jul-07 11:16:46

Mother2be, that means that Reallytired would be blacklisted by the local authority for future jobs.

I used to be a teacher, and this practice drove me mad. No advice for you, just lots of sympathy. It's the way they have always done it, and is so unfair as they know most people will not risk rocking the boat.

Best of luck, whichever way you decide to go.

LeafTurner Wed 11-Jul-07 11:18:33

Does being blacklisted actually matter though ? would it stop you keeping the second job ?

Projectilespells Wed 11-Jul-07 11:20:04

tell em you are going on holiday.

izbee Wed 11-Jul-07 11:22:57

I think its really unfair of them to put you under so much pressure - its only Friday to the next job interview so if they offer it might be worth saying that you can't accept there and then but then there is the risk you will be left without a job. Are both jobs with the same local authority?

Reallytired Wed 11-Jul-07 11:23:20

"Does being blacklisted actually matter though ? would it stop you keeping the second job ? "

I have no idea. What I know is that a contract being final is subject to you passing certain clearances and one of them is probably making sure that you haven't been blacklisted.

It really stinks and traps people into jobs that wouldn't necessily be their first choice. I think its a pity that the teaching unions can't campaign against this practice.

Support staff are not valued in schools and unions for support staff are powerless.

Reallytired Wed 11-Jul-07 11:23:50

"Are both jobs with the same local authority? "


Speccy Wed 11-Jul-07 11:23:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeafTurner Wed 11-Jul-07 11:25:18

So what will happen - will you get a phone call from the first school later today ? Could you not answer phone until Friday after you know about second interview ?

Surely if they can't contact you they won't rule you out will they ? Then you could say on Friday - sorry I had to rush away - mother ill or something !

Speccy Wed 11-Jul-07 11:25:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Reallytired Wed 11-Jul-07 11:29:49

How in the hell can you decide between two jobs when you have no idea what they are going to pay you? Is wrong that salary should be a deciding factor between two jobs. Both jobs are very close to my house.

Most people apply for more than one job in the outside world. An interview should be as much for the employee as the employer.

izbee Wed 11-Jul-07 11:44:45

I agree its really rubbish. One way of clarifying your thoughts is to think - if I didnt have this other interview would I jump at this job or do I have doubts about it. Do I think the other job is better (or can you find out by calling them). Is it very important to get one of these two jobs or are there other options?

SweetyDarling Wed 11-Jul-07 11:46:27

This doesn't even sound legal!
Anyway, is it at all possible to bring forward your second interview? Explain the situation you have been put in, an dmaybe they will be able to assist?

Katy44 Wed 11-Jul-07 11:46:59

I have to agree with the don't answer the phone option.
Do they expect to ring you, offer the job and then for you either to accept on the spot, or if you don't you have in effect said no?
Can you ask them to put the offer (as well as all the terms and conditions) in writing, and say you'll officially reply when you have received that?

LeafTurner Wed 11-Jul-07 11:50:26

Or - answer the phone and say you do want the job but need to check about your childcare arrangements - so will call whoever and then call back to confirm ! If they chase you - you are just waiting for whoever to confirm arrangements ?

Blimey it's only 2 days - surely you can keep them dangling for 2 days - I have kept employers dangling for weeks !!

If they want you - they will wait until Friady or Monday ! They will have a reserve candidate anyway - so it's really no skin of their nose if you turn it down !

LeafTurner Wed 11-Jul-07 11:51:55

Have you checked direct with the local authority about this ? It could just be the school being arsey - it really doesn't sound legal to me either ! And certainly not compliant with IiP which most schools have I believe !

mother2b Wed 11-Jul-07 11:52:29

oh i didnt realise that they could blacklist you, is it just jobs linked to the local council or is it all types of jobs?

alicet Wed 11-Jul-07 12:13:55

Its the same in the NHS where I work and it drives me mad too.

I would second to saying that you will accept / reject the job when they have sent you the terms in writing but until you have seen that its not possible to do so. Sure you could put it better than that but you know what I mean! They can't force you to accept the job until you have had a chance to see the terms and conditions. By the time you receive that it will be friday anyway

Owldroppings Wed 11-Jul-07 12:36:07

I would be amazed if 'blacklisting' you with the council is legal, although probably is legal to require you to accept or decline pretty swiftly. Have you thought of phoning ACAS, CAB or similar?

nooka Thu 12-Jul-07 10:26:11

This sounds very odd indeed. It is not at all unusual for people to be looking at more than one job at a time. I work for the NHS and have had this said on more than one occassion. It usually means that if you really want someone then you worry that the other job will appeal to them more, so you are more flexible if anything. I am sure that you cannot make someone accept (in a binding way) on the spot. However, it isn't in general a good idea to accept a job and then turn it down (it is very annoying if you are recruiting, because it means that you have already told everyone else that they were unsuccessful, so you can't go back to your second choice, if there was one). I'm not sure that blacklisting is legal, but word does get around.

I would ring up the LEA and check what the local policy is re accepting jobs on the spot, but I think that the school is on a very sticky wicket - it would make me wonder if I would like to work there. You might find in future it's better to say about the other job after you have been offered the job though - usually by the time you get the offer the employer has decided that you are the one, and is then more likely to be flexible (similar for requesting flexible working, more pay and other perks).

PoshShinyNewTent Thu 12-Jul-07 10:30:01

Sorry, but I think you'll find that this is standard practice for jobs in schools - certainly it's been the case for all the teaching posts I've ever had any involvement in. It is awful, though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: