Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone here had longstanding PTSD & totally recovered?

(16 Posts)
user1497863568 Tue 26-Mar-19 10:07:59

Nope, still have PTSD.

Ihatehashtags Tue 26-Mar-19 09:06:54

Starting to come right after 4 years. Not totally gone but miles better than I used to be.

youaremyrain Mon 25-Mar-19 23:04:41

Has anyone tried havening?

https://www.havening.org/

http://www.hsj.gr/medicine/impact-of-a-singlesession-of-havening.php?aid=7273

mynameiscalypso Mon 25-Mar-19 20:48:45

Also, I generally don't like the term 'recovered' and I don't find it helpful for me (that applies not just to PTSD but other my other and various MH diagnoses to). My team and I talk about 'remission' which has always seemed to me to be far more achievable.

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Mon 25-Mar-19 20:48:20

Has definitely affected my jobs and family. I've really messed up work wise as I just couldn't do it with the stuff in my head. I'm hoping therapy will get me back into work.

mynameiscalypso Mon 25-Mar-19 20:44:58

I'm a few years in. I would say that a lot of the 'acute' systems have gone but there are elements of it that are more 'chronic' and that linger, particularly nightmares and the occasional flashback. I notice it particularly when I'm tired/stressed (so, for example, if I'm worried about something work related, I might dream about it but mashed up with the traumatic event that triggered the PTSD). I'm definitely not 100% but it is more than manageable compared to where it was a couple of years ago and my life is pretty 'normal'.There are still some situations and places that I avoid so that I don't get triggered but that's something that I'm happy to live with. I'm sorry for what you've been through flowers

combatbarbie Mon 25-Mar-19 20:38:31

I am just about finished my EMDR after over a year of weekly appts. I can definitely say symptons are improved, however I couldn't let it affect my daily life, job etc, not because I wasn't suffering, I struggled every single day, but due to my job/family.... I actually think it saved me tbh.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!! I love that I have to think to recall things and they are hazy like normal memories and not like being actually back there. Are your scores improving?

CatToddlerUprising Mon 25-Mar-19 20:37:01

My DP works full time- he generally copes well. Certain situations outside of work can trigger the PTSD but no where near the extent it used to. Lack of sleep or down time plays a part too. But he used to be arrested a lot when he was in the depths of it but he avoids alcohol etc and hasn’t been arrested in 4 years.

Waveysnail Mon 25-Mar-19 20:36:11

But they didn't access help until third year

Queenofthestress Mon 25-Mar-19 20:36:02

I am just shy of 10 years with it and I'm not going to lie, I still have paranoia, anxiety, an aversion to public places and a plethora of other things, but cbt and art pyschotherapy helped, also mindfulness and yoga are what keeps me going on the horrible days.

Waveysnail Mon 25-Mar-19 20:35:40

It took nearest and dearest about 6 years to be "normal" if you use that word. They held down a job and semi functional to rest of world but completely self sabotaging behaviour at every turn. Utterly grim for 3 years but then got better.

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Mon 25-Mar-19 20:32:43

Oh wow. Im just starting a years therapy. Theres only a years entitlement and thats far more generous than the nhs 6-8weeks
I had really hoped it would make a difference.

Chipsahoy Mon 25-Mar-19 20:31:13

I had 6 yrs of therapy. I'll never get over it. But I am thriving one yr on since leaving therapy. It takes time to recover from therapy too. It's so intense.
There's hope and light at the end of the tunnel.
Hang in there.

SplinterSplit Mon 25-Mar-19 18:55:13

No longer suffering extreme symptoms. Being able to function well. Hold a job down.

oneforthepain Mon 25-Mar-19 18:24:03

What's your definition of "recovered"?

SplinterSplit Mon 25-Mar-19 17:48:57

Posting here for traffic, sorry to hijack aibu. Just interested to see if anyone else has recovered from extreme longstanding PTSD & if so, how did you manage it? I'm nearly 4yrs into therapy now and still having difficulty. I'm having a somatic therapy & emdr. Hoping I might learn something useful from you that I can try myself. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »