Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to only give £10?

(18 Posts)
DumbleDork Mon 25-Mar-19 17:02:28

Im going to a wedding in about 6 weeks. Im really broke as I lost my job recently and my redundancy pay is coming to an end so have no disposable income atm. Is it really stingy to only give £10 as a gift for a wedding where I’m only invited as an evening guest?

donajimena Mon 25-Mar-19 17:04:13

Not at all. I'd give 50 if a day guest, my partner and I gave a tenner each at an evening do so that sounds about right.

Lost5stone Mon 25-Mar-19 17:04:57

No problem just give what you can

Dueinnov19 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:05:18

Not at all. You should only give what you can afford. I would hope you have been invited to celebrate the start of their married life and not because you brought a gift

DeadCertain Mon 25-Mar-19 17:05:56

To me not at all. Some of our guests didn't give us a gift at all and I didn't care one bit; what was important was that they came and shared our day and had a great time. Going to weddings can be pretty expensive anyway for guests so I just appreciated the effort that everyone had made to be there with us, money wouldn't matter one jot - especially if I knew someone had lost their job.

DumbleDork Mon 25-Mar-19 17:08:51

Thank you. I was really worried I’d be judged for it confused

Mummyto2munchkins Mon 25-Mar-19 17:10:58

We'd brought a really nice set of coasters once, think it was around £10-£15. DP is a carer and only I work. The couple didn't mind at all and absolutely love the coasters! Was wooden ones in the shape of a heart with a pattern cut out, in a little holder.

Bhappy12 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:14:24

Not at all. I'm getting married in a couple of months and honestly don't care if we don't get a single thing. Being a guest at a wedding can be expensive anyway and we invited people because we want them to share our day, not because we want presents.

Ginkythefangedhellpigofdoom Mon 25-Mar-19 17:26:47

Dp and I gave £10 each (so £20) towards their honeymoon when we were invited as evening guests to a wedding last year.

greenpop21 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:26:52

It's totally fine.A beautiful card with a nice message would mean more to me.

pootyisabadcat Mon 25-Mar-19 17:29:09

Absolutely fine!

Meandmetoo Mon 25-Mar-19 17:31:18

I only spend about £20 when I'm not skint! It's fine op.

NWQM Mon 25-Mar-19 17:31:28

Personally I'd buy a nice bottle of wine and wrap it nicely rather than just give cash - even if they have asked for it. Means you feel like you are taking more.

That said I wouldn't expect anything and especially wouldn't want you to give what you haven't got.

Hope you are doing okay post redundancy and good luck with the job hunting.

listsandbudgets Mon 25-Mar-19 17:32:43

Its lovely of you. Alternatively give them a box of nicely wrapped chocolates. Its the thought that counts. I wouldn't judge at all.

Farmerswifey12 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:34:59

I got an I.O.U on my wedding, I rather shocked but understood the situation.

So from my point of view £10 is absolutely fine!

greenpop21 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:40:58

Aldi sell lovely, award winning champagne for £9.99. Wrap in nice tissue paper and cellophane. Would rather receive that than most things really!

DumbleDork Mon 25-Mar-19 17:53:57

NWQM Thankyou. It’s stressful and made even worse by my husband being at risk too but I’ve got a few interviews lined up so fingers crossed smile

LEELULUMPKIN Mon 25-Mar-19 22:25:30

Anyone who knows you and judges you for the position you are in is not worth knowing anyway OP. Give what you can afford and have a great time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »