Talk

Advanced search

School band playing Michael Jackson

(177 Posts)
recededpronunciation Mon 25-Mar-19 16:55:19

It’s been decided that the school band - a group of 11 year old boys - are going to play a Michael Jackson number at the next concert. School staff were involved in this decision.

AIBU or is this just massively inappropriate in the wake of the Leaving Neverland revelations?

hellhavenofury Mon 25-Mar-19 16:59:35

Oh god YABVU - Snowflake springs to mind. Honestly, leave them bloody to it.

ScreamingValenta Mon 25-Mar-19 17:01:05

It's an interesting question - is the merit of an individual's creative output intrinsically linked to their moral worth, or should the two things be regarded as completely separate?

kazillionaire Mon 25-Mar-19 17:06:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

recededpronunciation Mon 25-Mar-19 17:06:08

I can’t imagine they’d condone them doing a Gary Glitter number or dressing up as Jimmy Savile. It just seems a very odd choice.

ScarletBitch Mon 25-Mar-19 17:06:39

Oh fgs get a grip hmm

ashtrayheart Mon 25-Mar-19 17:09:15

I don’t think yabu OP.

Oakenbeach Mon 25-Mar-19 17:11:34

YABU

Do you think we should ban Ronald Dahl books as he was racist?!

pessimisticstateofperception Mon 25-Mar-19 17:11:55

There are hundreds people in every area of the arts with crimes in their past.

Are we supposed to never hear music, look at paintings, watch films read books or anything else ever again?

Silversky70 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:14:00

My kids were dancing to Rolf Harris! Kids party. Very misjudged imo. As a huge MJ fan, I agree with you. Poor taste after that documentary. Perhaps they'll do R Kelly too!!!

QueenofCBA Mon 25-Mar-19 17:16:11

YANBU! How prepared is the band for backlash from parents?

KennDodd Mon 25-Mar-19 17:16:13

If he was still alive and getting royalties from this I'd think twice. He's not though, he's dead. If royalties are paid they'll go to his estate, his children (?) His children are completely innocent so personally I would have no problem with them benefiting.

MeredithGrey1 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:18:58

It's an odd choice, mainly because you'd think the teachers involved would have just wanted to avoid any potential complaints from parents. Regardless of your opinion, its pretty predictable that there may be one or two complaints, and if I were a teacher I'd probably think "oh I don't want to have to deal with that, I'll get them to play something else."

LaCerbiatta Mon 25-Mar-19 17:19:12

YANBU. He's committed the most horrendous, damaging, repulsive crime. Hardly the same as being racist.

I know I'm not consistent but for example I'm happy to carry on watching Roman Polanski's films, but what MJ was just too much. He's banned in our house.

Oakenbeach Mon 25-Mar-19 17:19:29

I think there may be an issue where the musician/artist is still alive and benefitting from the royalties such as Rolf Harris.. but MJ is dead.

recededpronunciation Mon 25-Mar-19 17:22:21

If a group of adults play his stuff then that’s one thing. I like his music but find it quite hard to listen to now. But ten year old boys? The same age as those he is alleged to have groomed and abused?

NowtSalamander Mon 25-Mar-19 17:22:26

I think this is utterly disrespectful to the voices of victims and they are the ones we should be listening to at the moment. I’m not saying never play him again but this is the wrong time.

hellhavenofury Mon 25-Mar-19 17:27:52

@recededpronunciation correct.. 'alleged' - I doubt the kids will be thinking 'ooh I shouldn't be playing to this because of MJ' - I doubt they will give a crap at all.

recededpronunciation Mon 25-Mar-19 17:28:48

At least one of them has questioned whether it is appropriate.

TokyoSushi Mon 25-Mar-19 17:29:05

YABU and 'that parent' DD did an MJ mix in her dancrcshiw yesterday, it was amazing!

TokyoSushi Mon 25-Mar-19 17:30:06

**Dance show

Cheeeeislifenow Mon 25-Mar-19 17:32:06

Yanbu regardless of personal opinion, considering that the school would think some parents might not like it, it's foolish.

RomanyQueen1 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:34:18

YANBU we don't hear Jonathon thingy, or the one who abused the baby, or gary Glitter.
MJ was really no better ito musical ability.

user1494055864 Mon 25-Mar-19 18:07:31

OP I would contact the school and say its massively inappropriate.

FullOfJellyBeans Mon 25-Mar-19 18:11:22

It's not like he'll be benefiting in any way. They're just doing it because they like the song.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: