Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to do this?

(21 Posts)
NewJob2019 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:34:28

I interviewed for, and received a job offer for a temporary position paying £28,000 (pay rise of £6000). I accepted the job as quite frankly I am desperate to leave my current job so I was willing to risk a temporary contract.

Before that interview, I had applied for a number of roles. One company invited me to interview a month after I had initially applied. Which was scheduled for about a week after I had accepted job 1.

I honestly didn't think I'd get job 2, but I kept the interview for experience. I did get it. It's permanent and pays £35,000 (I know that's quite a leap but I'm currently underpaid for my qualification and experience with no opportunity to progress).

So, AIBU to take job 2 instead? How do I tell the agency? I'm honestly so scared. I hate letting people down.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Mon 25-Mar-19 12:38:08

Be honest and say a permenant role came up. They will try and tempt you into takeing the role, but they are on commission. Make sure you leave it on good terms - you may need their services again.

IVEgottheDECAF Mon 25-Mar-19 12:38:16

I think you just have to be honest, tell them you have been offered a position which is more money and permanent, its a no brainer

HollowTalk Mon 25-Mar-19 12:39:43

Congratulations! I would take that permanent job over a lower paid temporary job any day and no matter what the agency say, they would, too!

HollowTalk Mon 25-Mar-19 12:40:36

Don't put off telling them - they will need the time to fill the post.

AryaStarkWolf Mon 25-Mar-19 12:40:40

Of course YANBU, shit happens, they will find someone else for the first job

Bluntness100 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:41:16

Clearly you need to go for the permanent one, just explain it politely and apologetically to them. They will have a back up candidate.

And congrats!

SweatyUnderboob Mon 25-Mar-19 12:45:15

Congratulations! Take the higher paid job, you can even blame Brexit - it would be silly to take a lower paid temporary job in these crazy times we are living in.

NewJob2019 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:47:23

Thank you all!

I was worried that I'd be tied in after accepting the offer. I'm not, am I?

Sorry to mention the money, I know that's crass but I wanted to illustrate the difference is not a small amount. I really liked job 1 and the industry is great, but it would be stupid to turn down job 2!

I'm going to do it today. I've received the official offer and a contract from job 2 today.

Drum2018 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:48:10

Don't give them a second thought. Call them and tell them you have secured a permanent job, thank them for their efforts in getting you the other interview and hang up. No doubt they have a list of other people they can put forward for the temporary job. And in any case it's not your problem. This is your life so you make the most of it. Don't feel a bit guilty.

MRex Mon 25-Mar-19 12:51:07

Tell them you're really sorry but you'd interviewed for multiple roles and have just heard you a better paid permanent role. No need to tell them you interviewed after accepting the role, that wouldn't help future relationships. These things happen, the company and agency might be slightly disappointed but they'll understand.

ahtellthee Mon 25-Mar-19 12:51:07

Congratulations!!! Have you received the contract for Job2?

Once you have signed (and not before! Tell them you need it quickly) then tell agency that you have been offered a better paid, permanent job and you are sorry but can no longer accept their job.

It will be ok, they are paid to find people.

But please protect yourself. I have had two friends in similar situations and without signing contracts, and ended up with nothing

NewJob2019 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:53:14

@ahtellthee what happened?!

I've received the contract and I'm starting in two weeks (as I had already handed in my notice!)

Ariela Mon 25-Mar-19 12:54:01

Job 1 is temporary. Job 2 is permanent.
Simply ring the agency and tell them that you are very sorry for the inconvenience but you have just been offered a permanent position and obviously it's in your best long-term interests to take the permanent job.

They would have other people they interviewed for the temp job so I'm sure they'll be able to fill it.

Boom45 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:04:53

Oh god take the perminant job. You owe job 1 nothing at all, they'd not have any loyalty to you - particually as it's a temporary job. Get the contract signed for job 2 then tell job 1.

Nathansmommy1 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:15:27

Same happened to me last year (well the first job was also permanent but the second was just somewhere I really wanted to work).
I just emailed the agency and said due to unforeseen circumstances I cannot take the decision. They left messages etc but there was no changing my mind so I didn't answer or call back. I felt terribly guilty and hate confrontation, that's why i went with the email but it was the best decision i ever made

NewJob2019 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:20:04

I've emailed.

I feel dreadful. I really did like job 1 and I was looking forward to joining them.

It was maternity cover so there is still time to find someone else. They won't be able to match job 2 as I wanted £30k initially anyway!

HollowTalk Mon 25-Mar-19 13:46:39

You are going to LOVE that difference in income!

NewJob2019 Mon 25-Mar-19 14:03:13

We get by on my £22000 a year. And I put £200 a month into a share save scheme via work (our shares have bombed so I'm not fussed about it anymore!). It's going to be almost £1000 a month more. It just seems insane. I'm worried now I'm not up to the jump and I'll fail. I just can't believe they wanted me.

ahtellthee Mon 25-Mar-19 14:37:19

Whoop!!! Now sign the contracts and then open the fizz!

My close friend told her bosses she was leaving and then before she signed the new contract told them some holidays that she had forgotten to declare at the interview. They pulled the job offer.

Another friend also spilt the beans too soon before having paperwork signed, didn't know the closer details with that one but the offer was also withdrawn.
It's made me very suspicious about sharing the news before it's signed and sealed.
Sign, sign, sign!!!!

What are you going to do with your new extra income???

NewJob2019 Mon 25-Mar-19 16:07:54

Oh wow. That's awful. I'm genuinely worried something like that could happen but I've got a signed offer letter and a contract.

I honestly don't know. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself but I'm also thinking about getting a cleaner, a new bathroom, a new kitchen, a trip to Disney... 😂

I'll probably save most of it. The reason I could survive on so little is because I've no debts apart from my mortgage. I don't have a flashy car or go on fancy holidays. I'm sensible to the point of being boring.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »