Talk

Advanced search

DD in isolation for wearing the wrong socks

(220 Posts)
angelikacpickles Sun 24-Mar-19 22:42:14

YANBU, stupid rule.

Jaffacakebeast Sun 24-Mar-19 22:39:27

Isolation is a bit extreme, but I wish my ds school were stricter on uniform, honestly some of the girls look like they’re going “out out” and the branded everything is a nightmare at his school, middle ground is needed I think, colour of socks takes it too far in my opinion

missymayhemsmum Sun 24-Mar-19 22:36:59

I think this is a very effective way for schools to ensure that pupils conform but do not respect the school or feel respected themselves.
If that's the culture of the school, does she want to be there? Do you have an alternative?

Squigglesworth Sun 24-Mar-19 22:36:44

If she's only ever allowed to wear black socks to school, could she help herself remember by keeping the other color separate? Or maybe put a brightly colored reminder note on or in the sock drawer?

It does seem excessively strict-- especially if she's not usually defiant or disobedient. Maybe the unpleasantness of this experience will help her remember, from now on.

(I'm thankful that I didn't have a uniform dress code to follow when I was a child... School was hard enough without stupidly arbitrary rules about sock color.)

swirlycurly Sun 24-Mar-19 22:35:21

I understand that she broke the rule, I'm hoping this is will help her remember from now on but it's more about the rule itself

Wolfiefan Sun 24-Mar-19 22:26:12

She broke a (stupid) rule.
She was warned.
She chose to break it again.
Hopefully she will learn.

Lucked Sun 24-Mar-19 22:24:50

It seems a little excessive to me, even given the defiance. Not sure what the options are for the teachers. Isolation wasn’t a punishment when I was in school I actually think it has a place, especially if the child’s behaviour disturbed others learning, but white socks don’t distract pupils from their work.

Hadenoughofitall441 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:23:18

What difference does the colour of her socks matter to her education, what a stupid rule. My sisters school is full of different rul3s but one they don’t have is about socks. They can wear what socks they want.

Peghi Sun 24-Mar-19 22:23:13

Bloody stupid rule. Can her socks even be seen?

BrokenWing Sun 24-Mar-19 22:21:47

Forgetting is a lame excuse. She knows the uniform, she's been warned about wearing white socks and yet still forgot?

Pieceofpurplesky Sun 24-Mar-19 22:20:32

Hopefully she won't forget again. It's a silly rule but it's a rule.

GoGoGadgetGin Sun 24-Mar-19 22:20:22

Has it always been a rule?

Leeds2 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:50

It is a silly rule, really, but DD knew exactly what she was doing and must now accept her punishment.

BrokenWing Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:43

She's not in isolation for wearing the wrong socks, or she would have been in the first time. She's in isolation for not following the warning.

swirlycurly Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:07

I'm not trying make excuses for her but she is quite forgetful, she says she often wears white socks has never gotten in trouble for it before but this one teacher noticed, told her not to it again or she'll be put in isolation. She forgot about it and wore white socks again the next day. I know it isn't something she would intentionally do as she hates getting into trouble

ShitAtScarbble Sun 24-Mar-19 22:17:56

Meh. She pushed the boundaries and lost the round. Her lookout.

The socks rule is silly but really it's a metaphor for learning not to be a dick and accepting that sometimes you just have to do certain shit because that's the way it is. It's a good life lesson.

sue51 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:17:51

Yes, it is a silly rule but she chose to break it on 2 occasions. She should take the punishment a d find a more mature way to challenge school policy she does not agree with; maybe a petition.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 24-Mar-19 22:14:50

Dunno.
Why does a year 7 child feel the need to wear the wrong socks?

HoneysuckIejasmine Sun 24-Mar-19 22:14:26

Yes it's a silly rule. I'm a teacher and I hate having to waste teaching time correcting bloody uniform.

But it is the rule, as your DD knew. And she chose not to follow it. 🤷

swirlycurly Sun 24-Mar-19 22:12:41

DD who's in year 7 is being put in the isolation room at school tomorrow for wearing the incorrect colour socks, white instead of black. She did do this two days in a row after being warned so I do think she should accept the punishment as she was warned. But AIBU to think this is a silly rule anyway? They seem to claim that having school uniform is setting them up for life and work yet what workplace is going to tell someone to work away from everyone facing a wall for the day because they wore the wrong colour socks? So why do schools feel the need to be so strict?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »