Talk

Advanced search

DD in isolation for wearing the wrong socks

(220 Posts)
swirlycurly Sun 24-Mar-19 22:12:41

DD who's in year 7 is being put in the isolation room at school tomorrow for wearing the incorrect colour socks, white instead of black. She did do this two days in a row after being warned so I do think she should accept the punishment as she was warned. But AIBU to think this is a silly rule anyway? They seem to claim that having school uniform is setting them up for life and work yet what workplace is going to tell someone to work away from everyone facing a wall for the day because they wore the wrong colour socks? So why do schools feel the need to be so strict?

HoneysuckIejasmine Sun 24-Mar-19 22:14:26

Yes it's a silly rule. I'm a teacher and I hate having to waste teaching time correcting bloody uniform.

But it is the rule, as your DD knew. And she chose not to follow it. 🤷

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 24-Mar-19 22:14:50

Dunno.
Why does a year 7 child feel the need to wear the wrong socks?

sue51 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:17:51

Yes, it is a silly rule but she chose to break it on 2 occasions. She should take the punishment a d find a more mature way to challenge school policy she does not agree with; maybe a petition.

ShitAtScarbble Sun 24-Mar-19 22:17:56

Meh. She pushed the boundaries and lost the round. Her lookout.

The socks rule is silly but really it's a metaphor for learning not to be a dick and accepting that sometimes you just have to do certain shit because that's the way it is. It's a good life lesson.

swirlycurly Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:07

I'm not trying make excuses for her but she is quite forgetful, she says she often wears white socks has never gotten in trouble for it before but this one teacher noticed, told her not to it again or she'll be put in isolation. She forgot about it and wore white socks again the next day. I know it isn't something she would intentionally do as she hates getting into trouble

BrokenWing Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:43

She's not in isolation for wearing the wrong socks, or she would have been in the first time. She's in isolation for not following the warning.

Leeds2 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:50

It is a silly rule, really, but DD knew exactly what she was doing and must now accept her punishment.

GoGoGadgetGin Sun 24-Mar-19 22:20:22

Has it always been a rule?

Pieceofpurplesky Sun 24-Mar-19 22:20:32

Hopefully she won't forget again. It's a silly rule but it's a rule.

BrokenWing Sun 24-Mar-19 22:21:47

Forgetting is a lame excuse. She knows the uniform, she's been warned about wearing white socks and yet still forgot?

Peghi Sun 24-Mar-19 22:23:13

Bloody stupid rule. Can her socks even be seen?

Hadenoughofitall441 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:23:18

What difference does the colour of her socks matter to her education, what a stupid rule. My sisters school is full of different rul3s but one they don’t have is about socks. They can wear what socks they want.

Lucked Sun 24-Mar-19 22:24:50

It seems a little excessive to me, even given the defiance. Not sure what the options are for the teachers. Isolation wasn’t a punishment when I was in school I actually think it has a place, especially if the child’s behaviour disturbed others learning, but white socks don’t distract pupils from their work.

Wolfiefan Sun 24-Mar-19 22:26:12

She broke a (stupid) rule.
She was warned.
She chose to break it again.
Hopefully she will learn.

swirlycurly Sun 24-Mar-19 22:35:21

I understand that she broke the rule, I'm hoping this is will help her remember from now on but it's more about the rule itself

Squigglesworth Sun 24-Mar-19 22:36:44

If she's only ever allowed to wear black socks to school, could she help herself remember by keeping the other color separate? Or maybe put a brightly colored reminder note on or in the sock drawer?

It does seem excessively strict-- especially if she's not usually defiant or disobedient. Maybe the unpleasantness of this experience will help her remember, from now on.

(I'm thankful that I didn't have a uniform dress code to follow when I was a child... School was hard enough without stupidly arbitrary rules about sock color.)

missymayhemsmum Sun 24-Mar-19 22:36:59

I think this is a very effective way for schools to ensure that pupils conform but do not respect the school or feel respected themselves.
If that's the culture of the school, does she want to be there? Do you have an alternative?

Jaffacakebeast Sun 24-Mar-19 22:39:27

Isolation is a bit extreme, but I wish my ds school were stricter on uniform, honestly some of the girls look like they’re going “out out” and the branded everything is a nightmare at his school, middle ground is needed I think, colour of socks takes it too far in my opinion

angelikacpickles Sun 24-Mar-19 22:42:14

YANBU, stupid rule.

IncrediblySadToo Sun 24-Mar-19 22:42:36

I hate school uniform.

However, if there is one, it needs to look like one. That can only be achieved by having the children comply with it ‍🤷🏻‍♀️

RomaineCalm Sun 24-Mar-19 22:43:13

She 'forgot' that she couldn't wear white socks is pretty poor as an excuse.

Yes, imo she should accept the punishment and find a way to make sure that she doesn't 'forget'.

It's harsh, especially for a pair of socks but surely this is a lesson in following the rules and not forgetting.

Thatsnotmyotter Sun 24-Mar-19 22:45:02

Tbh at her age I probably would have worn white socks every day just to make a point about how ludicrous it was and how disproportionate the punishment was. I have mellowed slightly as an adult 😬

ShaggyRug Sun 24-Mar-19 22:46:14

If you don’t like a rule, petition the school through the normal channels to change it. They may say no. They may say yes. But deliberately breaking a rule after a warning is stupid and the punishment should be taken.

It’s a rule. Break it and take the consequences. It doesn’t matter how much you think it’s silly. You agreed to it when you sent your child to the school.

Wolfiefan Sun 24-Mar-19 22:46:53

It’s a rule? Don’t like it then choose a school with less daft rules or campaign for change. Don’t wait until your child breaks it twice and then blame the stupid rule. confused

OhTheRoses Sun 24-Mar-19 22:47:18

Not trying to be difficult here, but didn't you notice? When dd was in Y7 I was still laying out her uniform for her and reminding.

Pinkbells Sun 24-Mar-19 22:47:20

I think school uniform is fine, no problem with it, but stipulating sock colour is over the top. Having said that, if you know the school is strict about the uniform you probably should just make sure she is wearing the correct stuff. But it's a very silly rule.

DontCallMeCharlotte Sun 24-Mar-19 22:50:12

Um, can you give her a once-over before she leaves the house? Or hide her white socks?

Personally I think strict uniform is a good idea but I realise I may be in the minority.

GreenTulips Sun 24-Mar-19 22:51:49

When dd was in Y7 I was still laying out her uniform for her and reminding

Really? Why?

swirlycurly Sun 24-Mar-19 22:53:08

@OhTheRoses she usually lays out her uniform the night before but just grabs some socks and puts them on the same te as her shoes before she leaves. By then I've already left for work but I've made sure she's got the correct socks tonight will do from now on

reluctantbrit Sun 24-Mar-19 22:53:14

While I agree it is a stupid rule I think it is easy to help her. I have a day dreamer and I just have a drawer full of non-school socks and one with school ones, not once did DD choose the wrong socks.

Our school has lots of ridiculous uniform rules like size of studs allowed as earrings but that’s life. I have a dress code at work and aren’t allowed to wear flip flops.

peskypooches Sun 24-Mar-19 22:53:26

You know the uniform rules when you choose a school - if the child then insists on flaunting them they are going to be punished. If you and she think the socks rule is a huge problem (I don't, particularly - but understand that some may) then perhaps you should have chosen a different school. Unless she has SEN she is surely capable of noticing what colour socks she puts on in the morning.

Yes - on the face of it a day out of classes for such a minor misdeed can seem OTT, but as pps have said, it's a life lesson. It was for ignoring a warning, not the socks issue per se. She needs to learn from it, move on and wear the right socks going forwards.

IAmNotAWitch Sun 24-Mar-19 22:53:48

Yep some rules are stupid. You have to decide whether to follow the stupid ones or not depending on the authority imposing them and the possible outcomes/punishments.

Planeticket Sun 24-Mar-19 22:58:12

YANBU. It's a stupid rule and I think the punishment is too heavy handed for such a small thing.

AnneOfCleanTables Sun 24-Mar-19 22:58:19

It's about learning to follow rules and authority, and accepting that if you flaunt both then there are consequences. It's not really about socks. Lots of careers will have demands/rules/conventions. Learning how and when to follow them is a necessary life skill.

Isitweekendyet Sun 24-Mar-19 22:59:39

Why does she have white socks in the first place if they aren't standard uniform?

(Unless they're ordinary socks)

BoomBoomsCousin Sun 24-Mar-19 23:03:14

Its a silly rule.
Isolation is a pretty draconian punishment for a minor infraction and and somewhat inhumane if it isn’t essential to remove a child from others.

There is nothing about this modern day form of beating obedience into kids that is going to set them up for life.

Nevertheless ignoring a teacher’s warning can be disruptive and costly for all the other students at the school (not over the colour of their socks, though).

KurriKurri Sun 24-Mar-19 23:05:07

Lots of schools have silly rules to give the kids something harmless to flout - stops them breaking important rules that actually matter if they are rebelling about their socks.

Isolation seems a bit stupid though - I thought that was mainly for children who were being disruptive.

Ginger1982 Sun 24-Mar-19 23:06:13

It is a stupid rule, but you said she's worn white socks loads of times before and no one ever said anything to her, so clearly she thought the rules didn't apply to her. Now she knows they do. A tough lesson but hopefully one she's now learned.

lotusbell Sun 24-Mar-19 23:06:49

My son is y7. At the induction evening with head of y7 and headteachers they went on and on about uniform, how last time they had a firedrill, she inspected the length of every skirt as they filed past comeback into school hmm. Son has always had one drawer of black socks for school and one drawer of 'weekend' socks, if you will. He keeps putting those on instead of his school socks and I keep warning him he'll get pulled up on it, but he insists no one actually "gives one". I'm thinking they'll notice eventually!

LittlePaintBox Sun 24-Mar-19 23:06:59

Enforcing uniform rules used to exasperate me when I was a teacher, especially when the result was a child missing out on teaching time as a punishment. But if this is the kind of school it is, she'll have to learn to keep the rules.

My older son was very forgetful, but I don't think he ever forgot to wear the correct school uniform.

Is wearing white socks some kind of fashion statement? I went to a school that was very strict on uniform, but by some oversight they'd forgotten to say what colour tights we should wear! So we all went in whatever colour was fashionable that month. I remember the term we all wore purple tights!

LynetteScavo Sun 24-Mar-19 23:07:10

So you put five pairs of black socks in her drawer and tell her to wear those. It's not rocket science to put on school uniform or home clothes depending on which day it is. Would she forget to wear her school jumper and put a bright pink one on instead?

School uniform is a silly rule full stop, but if a school is going to have a uniform the pupils should wear it. Many won't bother unless there is a sanction, but surely detention would be more suitable? Won't she miss learning things in lessons?

Skittlesandbeer Sun 24-Mar-19 23:07:44

It’s as much a rule for the parents, as it is for the kids. Sadly, these days you couldn’t leave ‘neat, appropriate dress code’ in the hands of parents. Lord knows what the kids would turn up wearing. And the arguments that would ensue (and distract from teaching).

I’m not religious, but agreed to let my DD go to a religious school. I couldn’t care less if the religion ‘sticks’, but I like that she’s taught a framework of behaviour. It’s the framework that counts in future life, not the rules themselves.

SrSteveOskowski Sun 24-Mar-19 23:09:27

Am I the only one having a flashback to the time Adrian Mole got into trouble at school because he wore red socks instead of black? grin

SarahAndQuack Sun 24-Mar-19 23:10:36

I think it's a stupid rule, and also sets children up to expect to be treated badly in the workplace.

On the whole, the stricter the dress code, the less well paid and well respected the job. Sure, there are law firms where you are expected to dress in a conservative style. But, broadly, the sorts of jobs where someone will insist on white socks no black are the sorts of jobs where you're earning minimum wage.

I do not see why anyone would a school to prepare children on the assumption they'd be limited to that.

pallisers Sun 24-Mar-19 23:11:35

It is the rule and that is a consequence so the school isn't being unreasonable I suppose.

I wouldn't want to send my child to a school who thought the wrong socks were worth isolating a child. Outside of the military and schools like these does such a concept as "the wrong socks" even exist these days? But you possibly don't have a choice, OP so you and your dd have to play by their (stupid) rules.

I live somewhere where uniform is rare (catholic school mostly) and am astonished at the level of angst about it in UK schools. I wore a uniform in school many years ago and never remember any teacher ever talking about it to me. They were too busy educating us.

I particularly think it is awful for teachers to spend their time talking to girls about their clothes - considering the rest of society has that one well under wraps.

ReanimatedSGB Sun 24-Mar-19 23:12:36

What I'd really like to see when schools pull this sort of shit is some serious campaigning, among the kids. If she could get the whole class to come in wearing different coloured socks every day, for example, there would be a point where the school would have to give in (they can't permanently isolate all of them.) Year 7 is, after all, not the most important year, so a good one for the kids to learn a life lesson about how it is possible to push back against the idiocies of 'authority'.

Because this sort of petty bullshit is not good for DC at all. Unquestioning obedience is not a life skill; it's the opposite.

fruitpastille Sun 24-Mar-19 23:13:15

Ok, so she should have worn the right socks (even if it is stupid). But one warning and then isolation??! Is that normally what happens? Surely a lunchtime detention at most is more appropriate?

sonlypuppyfat Sun 24-Mar-19 23:14:49

Schools have rules about uniform for one reason only, control.

mathanxiety Sun 24-Mar-19 23:16:45

this sort of petty bullshit is not good for DC at all. Unquestioning obedience is not a life skill; it's the opposite.

This^^

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis Sun 24-Mar-19 23:17:28

I dunno, uniform is uniform. I object to over the top fancy or expensive uniform but sock colour is generally stipulated.

At DDs school they can wear black, grey or green ankle socks, knee socks or tights for eg. Seems reasonable enough.

Does she not just have a "school socks" and a "not school socks" pile/drawer? By 2/3rds of the way through Y7 I don't think "forgetting" is really a reasonable response either. Does she forget to wear the right colour skirt or the right jumper?

Isolation seems a bit heavy handed but I suppose its on a continuum of some kids turning up completely inappropriately dressed.

JazzyBBG Sun 24-Mar-19 23:18:41

Since when were white socks off the uniform list?! I'd have thought that was pretty average.

And forgive me but "isolation" i only ever see mentioned on here. Is this normal now? Are we back in the Victorian era? What have our high schools come to?

LittlePaintBox Sun 24-Mar-19 23:25:49

SrSteveOskowski:
Am I the only one having a flashback to the time Adrian Mole got into trouble at school because he wore red socks instead of black?

No, you're not! I did wonder if it was some kind of covert rebellion!

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis Sun 24-Mar-19 23:26:20

None of the secondary schools round here either stipulate or allow white socks. All have uniforms and most are strict about it.

I think the "preparing for the workplace" argument is a nonsense, and would prefer no uniform. But I live in an area where there are stark inequalities and very mixed catchments and I think there is a strong argument for straightforward, easy to source uniform that everyone wears and everyone can afford.

Acis Sun 24-Mar-19 23:26:56

Isolation is an appalling punishment which needs to be made illegal. By imposing it for something as trivial as this the school makes itself ridiculous.

bridgetreilly Sun 24-Mar-19 23:28:29

Unquestioning obedience is not a life skill; it's the opposite.

The OP's daughter was not questioning the rule, she was (a) forgetful and (b) did not take the warning seriously. If she was genuinely opposed to the rule there are lots of other actions she could have taken - organised everyone to wear different socks, got elected to the student council and campaigned for change, written to the governing body about it. Part of what children - and adults - do have to learn is to remember rules and take warnings seriously.

Acis Sun 24-Mar-19 23:31:36

Schools that claim that uniform rules set children up for the workplace demonstrate incredibly lazy thinking. I wonder how they imagine people manage in countries where very few if any schools have uniforms?

Cheeeeislifenow Sun 24-Mar-19 23:34:32

Another tread to remind me of how ridiculous some English schools are with these Bloody draconian ridiculous rules. They are socks for Christ sake. I am glad we don't live in a country where this is the norm and people so freely accept "rules is rules".

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis Sun 24-Mar-19 23:36:51

to be fair isolation usually just means a separate classroom with other transgressors and having your lunch half an hour early. it's not solitary confinement, just very boring.

WarpedGalaxy Sun 24-Mar-19 23:43:04

It’s simple, you sign a contract, you stick to the terms of the contract, you don’t whine later that it’s stupid, unfair therefore you’re not complying - it was stupid and unfair before you signed it so why did you sign it?

Similarly here OP and her daughter know the rules of the school they chose for dd to attend. Sure white socks, black socks - who the fuck cares, right? It’s petty and ridiculous but if you sign up for petty and ridiculous too late to flout it later. They had a choice not to go to a school with ridiculous uniform rules and they failed to exercise that choice. Suck it up.

puppy23 Sun 24-Mar-19 23:43:58

I think isolation is a rather strong punishment but I guess they feel if they relax on one thing others may slip? A detention would've been more appropriate though IMO

OneDayillSleep Sun 24-Mar-19 23:45:34

I went to a very strict school with ridiculous uniform rules the length of your arm. Girls had to wear white socks and boys brown. Sock inspections were a thing. If we were caught with incorrect uniform it would have been note home and a detention. Isolation was reserved for those who disrupted classes and ridiculous (according to their rules) hairstyles. I don't see how removing your child from class to sit in a room alone for her socks will benefit anyone, it might be a school rule but it seems counterproductive and a little extreme, even by my school standards.

MysteriesOfTheOrganism Sun 24-Mar-19 23:47:38

I absolutely agree. However, those who hold the power make the rules and there is a price to pay for non-conformity. That's an important life-lesson for children to learn.

tor8181 Sun 24-Mar-19 23:48:12

heard it bloody all now,the education system in the country is ridiculous
what stupid rules

so glad i home ed

SleepingStandingUp Sun 24-Mar-19 23:58:14

I assume she puts on her school skirt/ trousers not the pink rara skirt or her jeans? And the school blouse or sweatshirt not her yellow vest top or rainbow jumper? She doesn't forget that so there's really no excuse for forgetting to wear the right underwear.

If the issue is not wanting her to be blindy obedient and to fight against the system because one day she'll be in a highly paid job with no uniform so it's pointless, help her to make a point in a way that doesn't keep landing her in isolation

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis Mon 25-Mar-19 00:05:16

But picking your battles is a life skill. If you choose to be part of a community you live by its rules. Some rules are petty, but probably you can live with them. No-one is harmed by being politely requested to wear a particular colour socks.

DaiStation Mon 25-Mar-19 00:22:06

I never 'learnt the lesson' at school, just thought it was bloody pedantic and needlessly rigid. Was happy to keep pushing the boundaries and taking the shit dor the principle and still feel the same way! Was also interesting which teachers silently smiled and let me crack on (ie the ones I had most respect for) and those who seemed to think eyeliner was some kind of mind altering substance. Having said that, punishment was 'go scrub off your eyeliner' or detention. Isolation is ridic and counterproductive .

Rottencooking Mon 25-Mar-19 00:25:35

The rule is stupid yes, but she shouldn't have ignored warnings... Twice.

flowerstar19 Mon 25-Mar-19 00:29:11

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this but this reminds me of Adrian Mole!

qazxc Mon 25-Mar-19 00:38:31

I think the punishment is probably for ignoring warning/being defiant than the actual sock colour rule.
The breaking of the rule the first time only resulted in a warning, and I imagine that had she then stuck to the rule and then a few months later worn wrong socks she would have only gotten another warning. It's the fact that she did 2 days in a row that makes it look that she is thumbing her nose at the teacher and needed to be addressed.

BlueSky123456 Mon 25-Mar-19 00:40:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AnemoneAnenome Mon 25-Mar-19 00:50:53

I can't get het up about schools enforcing whatever the rule is about sock colour. I can understand they don't want kids in luminous pink socks, Denis the menace red stripey socks or fishnets so they come up with something sensible and stick to it. I have much more of a problem with schools enforcing uncomfortable pointless rules such as long trousers only, or blazers/jumpers having to stay on even when it's boiling and the child has a banging headache.

pallisers Mon 25-Mar-19 00:54:26

If we want schools to be places of learning rather than crown control, and if we want discipline to be good, rules have to be strict and they have to be enforced consistently.

Yes but which rules. You'd be amazed how many schools manage to be fantastic places of learning and development for children without rules about socks.

BlueSky123456 Mon 25-Mar-19 00:57:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AwakeNow Mon 25-Mar-19 01:09:31

Only read the first post, but is mostly teaching about following rules and authority and consequences for ones actions.

nos123 Mon 25-Mar-19 01:12:30

It’s ridiculous to be so authoritarian with our children

pallisers Mon 25-Mar-19 01:21:44

but is mostly teaching about following rules and authority and consequences for ones actions.

well really teaching about following rules and authority and consequences for one's actions in not following all rules and authority no matter how irrelevant or inconsequential.

In real adult life there are generally no consequences for wearing the wrong socks because usually there are no wrong socks.

Does anyone in real life on MN work someplace as concerned about uniform as schools - someplace other than the military or similar where white socks will have you sent home and docked pay?

AnemoneAnenome Mon 25-Mar-19 01:25:57

Bluesky "While I'm sure he gets a little hot at points, it's a good lesson in discipline and respect."

I wasn't replying to you, it was a crosspost but I stand by it. I'm all for discipline and respect, but if it makes the child so uncomfortable that it interferes with their learning I think that lesson is rather lost. And having a child with autism and migraines, that happens all too easily. We do make sure he wears the right colour socks though.

Notwotuknow Mon 25-Mar-19 01:27:34

It is ridiculous. Especially missing out on the education that they're meant to be there for.

A friend's child broke the sole of of his shoe on Tuesday, so went into school in black, plain trainers on Wednesday with a note to explain as well as mum phoning/ emailing.
Parent not able to buy new shoes until weekend (money and time issue as working long hours), so 3 days away.

Child is yr9 and has been kept in isolation all day with no school work. Must sit quietly doing nothing.
He has been told he'll have to attend isolation every day, all day, until new, suitable shoes are bought as he's broken the rules. This is an academy school.

Imagine the fuss if he'd been kept off for 3 days?
But, actually, the result is the same, 3 days of learning missed. Except they think their punishment is ok.

sashh Mon 25-Mar-19 01:46:41

Am I the only one having a flashback to the time Adrian Mole got into trouble at school because he wore red socks instead of black?

N I'm flashing back to my school days. The uniform included a navy skirt and white knee length socks (pink gingham dress in summer) we were not allowed to wear trousers even to travel to/from school. Thankfully they got rid of the hats the year before I started.

At the time you could only get white socks in cotton and every winter we would try to get the school to allow blue socks because they came in a nice wooly material.

We didn't have exclusion, we would be sent home to change and I seem to remember some girls having to appologise to the whole school from the stage for breaking some rule or other.

OP I feel your dd's pain, it seems socks are important to some schools.

Lovingbenidorm Mon 25-Mar-19 01:54:50

Bloody hell Notwotuknow that’s horrific!

mathanxiety Mon 25-Mar-19 03:13:38

However, those who hold the power make the rules and there is a price to pay for non-conformity. That's an important life-lesson for children to learn.

And some people wonder why there is a culture of bullying.

mathanxiety Mon 25-Mar-19 03:27:16

ihatemyselffordoingthis I live in a school district (in the US) where there is a very wide income range and yet none of the public elementaries or high school have uniform. It has never been suggested.

There are rules on dress that are enforced, though last year the school board decided to drop its no headcovering policy and also to relax previous items in the code that mainly affected girls' clothing, resulting in a disproportionate number of demerits for girls on account of dress code infractions.

A few years ago the high school decided to work on cutting down the number of detentions, in-school suspensions and out of school suspensions that were dished out because the existing policy was not remedying behaviour and was actually depriving many students who were most in need of being in class of that opportunity. Alternative approaches were developed, more support staff were hired (social workers) and the discipline structure was revamped, with guidance counsellors, social workers and deans of discipline working in teams for the sake of better communication, and establishing better relationships - and relationships that facilitated personal growth - with students who seemed to be pushing the boundaries.

It's amazing what solutions to individual teens' issues can be found when a school does not have the option of magic clothing up its sleeve.

malificent7 Mon 25-Mar-19 04:58:26

It's always the girls who have to watch what we wear isn't it mathanxiety. Why arevthe boys not equally scrutinised?

Yanbu. Stupid school.

mathanxiety Mon 25-Mar-19 05:15:01

Yes indeed malificent7.

At present the only verboten items are hate speech/slogans, offensive speech/slogans or symbols or gang symbols or names on clothing. Or any item of clothing likely to incite or provoke violence or hatred or cause disorder, like a MAGA hat.

QuestionableMouse Mon 25-Mar-19 05:35:11

My workplace is pretty strict about uniform but they don't give a shiny shit about my socks as long as they're not offensive. I can also wear or not wear my cardigan as I choose.

I would never make it through school now... For a start being stuffed in a blazer all day no matter the temp probably would have meant me going home with a migraine every single day it was warm.

It's amazing how degree students manage to learn anything without a horrid uniform...

AwakeNow Mon 25-Mar-19 05:42:35

I do feel isolation is overkill.

Nofilter101 Mon 25-Mar-19 05:44:40

YANBU

What a stupid rule. I'd be Concerned that she was missing out a whole day of lessons over the colour of her socks. Yet if you kept her off for the day for a shopping trip or a treat the school would be on your case because school work is important.

This is a great example of how institutionalised we are as a society. White is still pretty inoffensive, they weren't pink or florescent ffs.

Its a silly and controlling rule. That's what people would say if it were your partner or even if parents said this to their children on weekends Imo not many jobs make you wear a certain colour socks.

AJPTaylor Mon 25-Mar-19 05:46:14

But that's the whole thing about school uniform. It's uniform. The second you allow deviation from it you have a thousand decisions to make each day.
You either have it or you don't.

pullthecracker Mon 25-Mar-19 05:59:58

Where I work in the nhs, if we don’t wear just plain black socks, we can be disciplined as it’s part of our uniform policy. No patterns or colours, or any other colour sock, so it is out there in the workplace!

SofaSurfer20 Mon 25-Mar-19 06:02:09

I don't wear uniform in my line of work.

Not everyone has a uniform.

And NO ONE will be punished for wearing the wrong colour socks.

larrygrylls Mon 25-Mar-19 06:08:50

I think isolation is a horrendous punishment and should be reserved for when all else has been tried and failed.

A year 7 with the wrong socks? Get the head of year to keep some really ugly old black socks (there will always be some in lost property) and make them change into them for the day. They will hate ugly mismatched socks but they will be with their mates and they will learn.

Repeat offenders? Detention for an hour after school, assuming there are no mitigating factors.

BloominSloe Mon 25-Mar-19 06:14:17

I think it's a silly rule and a silly punishment but it is still a rule. Unfortunately she's got to stick out the punishment. Buy her lots more black socks so she doesn't forget again.
I work for the nhs and they stipulate in our uniform policy black socks only. It's a disciplinary to not follow policy repeatedly.
Obviously sock colour has a big impact on our children's education and healthcare provision! 🤨

RhiWrites Mon 25-Mar-19 06:16:29

I feel sorry for the children having to wear a hot itchy blazer in summer to learn “discipline and respect”. It’s such a stupid way of teaching those things. (And it’s not respect that teaches, it’s deference, which isn’t a desirable characteristic.)

The sock rule is stupid too. Get her black socks with coloured toes and heels so she can delight in her secret radicalism which apparently conforming to the the nonsense.

Rubusfruticosus Mon 25-Mar-19 06:18:36

My DS forgot his white socks for PE and kept his grey school socks on instead. Was told to go without socks as the grey ones were 'dirty' hmm. They wear trainers for inside PE not plimsolls, trainers that are worn outside, but school uniform socks put on clean that day were unsuitable?

NicoAndTheNiners Mon 25-Mar-19 06:22:41

I used to work for the nhs and they were very strict on uniform. I've been bollocked for non black socks before and a persistent offender was sent home without pay.

HandsOffMyRights Mon 25-Mar-19 06:23:04

YANBU. But many parents don't get the luxury to select a secondary school and vet the uniform/behaviour policy - they're just grateful to have a school place.

My son was at a school that was obsessed over uniform yet behaviour, aspiration and performance were poor, yet the focus remained on uniform still, even when it slid into Special Measures, because it believed that smart uniform/discipline was linked to good behaviour. I never found this to be the case at that school.

When we moved, he went to a different secondary, where the rules re uniform are more relaxed and the school's priorities are on more important issues.

MrsDevlin Mon 25-Mar-19 06:25:23

They can't choose which rules they want to follow and which they won't bother with. It IS good practice for life/ work situations where you often just have to get on with little things/ people you don't agree with.
You could argue that the 'silly' rules are easier to follow- c'mon, it's not difficult to put on the right colour socks. Why break a rule that is so easy to keep? If the colour of your socks doesn't matter, just wear the right ones.
I assume she has plenty of correctly coloured pairs to wear.

morallowground Mon 25-Mar-19 06:27:35

Jesus I don’t know how the children from my school ended up in employment at all! We had no uniform at all in the 80’s and even wore neon socks on occasion. I don’t really know how I’ve managed the wear a uniform at work since the 90’s after missing out on such vital ‘uniform wearing training’ at school.
I think being put in isolation or the wrong coloured socks is forcing people to be conformist whether they agree with what’s happening on a senior level or not which imo is not a great skill for real life.

Acis Mon 25-Mar-19 06:31:06

They had a choice not to go to a school with ridiculous uniform rules and they failed to exercise that choice. Suck it up.

Nonsense. In many areas of the country people really don't have that choice. I do wish people wouldn't post this sort of ill-informed nonsense.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: