Talk

Advanced search

In feeling uncomfortable about this Zara kids ad

(103 Posts)
ASauvignonADay Sun 24-Mar-19 21:49:15

Personally, I don't like it. I think the poses and whole thing is inappropriate for a young girl.

Echobelly Sun 24-Mar-19 21:58:25

I dunno - I see 'sea-nymp'h rather than anything suggestive, but I can see why some people might feel it a bit off.

Mammylamb Sun 24-Mar-19 21:59:48

I don’t like it either. Makes me feel uncomfortable

starabara Sun 24-Mar-19 22:00:04

I don’t see anything wrong with it? It’s a kid in an urchin esque dress.

LL83 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:00:54

Expected to disagree but far too serious and grown up. Don't like it at all.

Littleraindrop15 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:03:31

Don't see any thing wrong

HoneysuckIejasmine Sun 24-Mar-19 22:03:38

Definitely doesn't make me want to buy it. Waif or urchin, poorly lit and a bit uncomfortable - not the look I usually aim for.

Ohyesiam Sun 24-Mar-19 22:03:45

First two I I was thinking I could see why people wouldn’t like this, but it’s not pushing my buttons.

The third One is definitely dodgy though. Ewww

Grandadwasthatyou Sun 24-Mar-19 22:03:47

Don't like it. Especially the last photo where she sort of has her dress pulled up between her legs.

Shoppingwithmother Sun 24-Mar-19 22:04:06

That is very odd indeed

Laiste Sun 24-Mar-19 22:04:30

The girl is definitely posed in the same way an adult model would be.

IMO, YANBU OP

Ribbonsonabox Sun 24-Mar-19 22:04:47

It's strange because it is quite serious in tone and shot like shes an adult model... but it's not sexualised I dont think... theres nothing wrong with it, but I dont see how on earth it's supposed to appeal to children or to mothers buying for thier children.

mrsblues Sun 24-Mar-19 22:06:02

Don’t like the last picture.

BiltongBetty Sun 24-Mar-19 22:06:35

Very odd. A bit creepy - just because they’ve styled her exactly as they would have an adult.

Redshoeblueshoe Sun 24-Mar-19 22:08:28

I think the last one is sexualised.

CantYouSleepLittleBear Sun 24-Mar-19 22:09:23

The first two - hmm not sure. The third one is really quite creepy, especially as the previous thread I read was the one about Europol:

AIBU to ask people to just spend 2 minutes looking at these pictures? http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/amii_being_unreasonable/3540854-AIBU-to-ask-people-to-just-spend-2-minutes-looking-at-these-pictures

cannotmakemymindup Sun 24-Mar-19 22:10:54

Ewwww. Definitely not a good way to advertise the dress. Childrens shots should be fun and bright as children should be not that weird moody posing and as others have said definitely to grown up poses.

olderthanyouthink Sun 24-Mar-19 22:13:51

Hmmm I've just signed my DD up for modelling (she's a baby, no work yet) and I think I'd have to pipe up if my child was on a shoot that started heading this way

Laiste Sun 24-Mar-19 22:14:46

CantYouSleepLittleBear agreed. I thought the same.

Ribbonsonabox - ''I dont see how on earth it's supposed to appeal to children or to mothers buying for thier children.''

^ ^ Yes! Who looks at this and thinks ''yes, on hols i want my 6 year old daughter to look moody and arty and a creature of beauty?'' confused

cannotmakemymindup Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:01

At least the comments on the photos are saying how inappropriate they are on Zaras Instagram page. Who on earth signed off on this? And whoever the photographer that is tagged in the photo, I don't think he should be taking photos of children clearly if that is how he gets a girl to pose.

IncrediblySadToo Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:25

I don’t think it’s sexualised. Just drab and boring.

RavenLG Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:28

1st is trying to be arty, 2nd comes across as awkward, 3rd is just wrong. But Zara steals small designers designs so they don't have good ethics anyway.

Ribbonsonabox Sun 24-Mar-19 22:19:40

I mean maybe if you were mid to late teens you might want to look moody and ethereal.... but not this young? Who is this actually aimed at? Kids wont look at it at all and mums will just be a bit disturbed by it.
I dont think its sexually inappropriate, it's just really bad advertising that's missed its target audience.

cannotmakemymindup Sun 24-Mar-19 22:22:20

Just reported the photos on Instagram and they've replied back quickly sorry they're fine it doesn't go past our community guidelines.
100% understanding how Instagram leads itself to exploiting children when they allow this to remain. Wish a newspaper or journo would pick up on this for the right reasons for once or a celebrity.

Pieceofpurplesky Sun 24-Mar-19 22:22:56

It's too serious -
If she was laughing in the first two they would be totally different.
Third one. No

DuchessDumbarton Sun 24-Mar-19 22:23:17

1st one....no clue what you're on about.
2nd one.... no buy appeal at all. I'm sure Zara are devastated by that as I am here discussing their brand on a social media site.

3rd one...holy moly. That is deeply inappropriate and no way would my DD be allowed to be posed by the photographer in that way.
ugh

AnneOfCleanTables Sun 24-Mar-19 22:23:22

The first two shots are ok although overly serious. The third shot is very inappropriate. I'm surprised it was approved tbh.

buckeejit Sun 24-Mar-19 22:24:44

Yep, third one is awful.

steff13 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:26:09

I think in the first two she looks like she's been abandoned. Or shipwrecked.

Goldenbear Sun 24-Mar-19 22:29:31

Yes, I agree, the moodiness is a bit unrepresentative of a child of that age- my 7 year old DD doesn't like much in Zara except the snoopy stuff as I think she hates the formality- we are not the market if this is how they perceive a child to look on holiday wearing their clothes!

Squigglesworth Sun 24-Mar-19 22:29:39

Creepy. Very strange choices. The third one is the worst, but even the first one has a strange pose for a child.

Theimpossiblegirl Sun 24-Mar-19 22:29:45

I agree, I wouldn't want my DD to be photographed like this. Let children be children.

lunar1 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:30:30

They are all creepy in their own way. The last one the worst. My children do modelling work and no way in hell I'd let them be posed like this.

Goldenbear Sun 24-Mar-19 22:34:12

To be fair though my DD almost 8 wants to look like Sky Brown the 10 year old Olympian skateboarder- she likes her style and that she's 'always smiling'.

greathat Sun 24-Mar-19 22:36:43

I really don't like the third one sad

puppy23 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:38:11

I don't really like it, Zara's always got weird advertising though

madeyemoodysmum Sun 24-Mar-19 22:38:48

Yes. I’m not keen. The last one is very suggestive and gives me the creeps

slipperywhensparticus Sun 24-Mar-19 22:39:15

1, why is her crotch dark
2 why is she posed like that?
3, why did her parents allow that shot to be taken

Papergirl1968 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:40:02

Christ, no!
The first one the dress is blowing up - yuk.
The second one is ok but the dress is far too short. No sane parent would buy a dress that looks like the child has already grown out of it.
The third one is by far the worst with the dress rucked up and the model posed on what appears to be a bed.
Tacky...

TellerTuesday4EVA Sun 24-Mar-19 22:43:26

Well it's bloody awful (the dress and style of advert) but I don't think it's enough to make me uncomfortable. Can't see why they thought it made a good advertising campaign though.

ILuvBirdsEye Sun 24-Mar-19 22:43:56

On the whole a very grown up look in all 3 pictures - nothing kiddish about it at all. All three are off - but the last one was the most eww to me.

Pinkbells Sun 24-Mar-19 22:44:35

The last photo makes me uncomfortable, and the fact that the lighting is dark and gloomy, and she is looking so serious. Not a child orientated shoot at all :-(

PineapplePatty Sun 24-Mar-19 22:46:16

Dreadful

dreichuplands Sun 24-Mar-19 22:56:40

These poses seem to have been moved from an adult to a dc (made me realize just how sexualized female clothing is. Last picture is inappropriate.

alaric77 Sun 24-Mar-19 23:02:27

Horrid, kid looks miserable and neglected and in need of a good bath. What’s wrong with bright pictures of kids having fun?

Almost40andweeping Sun 24-Mar-19 23:04:08

First two pics are fine; last one is not but none of them make me want to buy the dress for my child. You can’t see the fabric, the pattern or the cut. It’s just not appropriate. It’s too much of a fashion shoot and not age appropriate

HennyPennyHorror Sun 24-Mar-19 23:05:34

It's the fact that she's not smiling...which is what adult models do.

She's a kid. Should be playing and laughing.

Itssosunny Sun 24-Mar-19 23:06:47

I agree with you, OP. The pictures don't look right.

meow1989 Sun 24-Mar-19 23:08:04

I think the first two are just awkward and bad photos to be honest, the sky looks like really bad photoshop. The third is inappropriate.

I just looked at the other images on the Zara Instagram and they're far worse in my opinion, the child looks unkempt and vulnerable, theres something about the eye contact where she's lying on the bed (not the pics on this thread) that makes me feel really uncomfortable, she looks like an ill or abused child (not a comment on the childs looks, rather the styling, light and staging) and I'm a bit worried that they will appeal to entirely the wrong audience which makes me feel sick.
Who on earth looks at these and thinks "lovely, I'll buy this range"? Grim.

Honeyroar Sun 24-Mar-19 23:09:51

I think that the first picture is the worst, it's blown up to virtually the top of her legs, is clinging, and there's a weird shadow that almost suggests a pubic hair patch underneath. A very strange pic to sell a dress (makes it look so drab!).

ambereeree Sun 24-Mar-19 23:24:50

Very wrong.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Sun 24-Mar-19 23:34:26

Zara is the absolute worst for advertising their clothes which is weird because I actually like most of it confused

I dislike the middle pic because it’s got a slouchy shoulder pose I associate with skinny adult women, the other two pics would be fine if the child was smiling and in the sun. As it is, I agree it’s a bit odd.

I have to say though I’ve seen worse, a lot worse.

Klopptimist Sun 24-Mar-19 23:55:25

I'll be honest, I opened this thread thinking it'd be much ado about nothing. But holy crap, that third photo is bloody horrible. WTF were they thinking?

DaiStation Mon 25-Mar-19 00:27:50

These are rank. The poses are all the same ones used for the male gaze-y 'fragile and tortured waif who really needs and is inviting a big strong man to come and shag her' aesthetic used with adult models. Really horrible.

PregnantSea Mon 25-Mar-19 08:46:33

Looks depressing and bleak. Doesn't make me want to buy those clothes. I see nothing wrong with it though? Other than it being a bit of a crap advert lol

cannotmakemymindup Mon 25-Mar-19 09:28:45

Tova_Leigh over on Instagram is asking what people think of the photos!!!

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 25-Mar-19 09:32:11

the poses are very inappropriate - her clothing is just covering her genitals in a suggestive way.

Boggled that people can't see it, I think you'd have to be wilfully blind.

WellThisIsShit Mon 25-Mar-19 10:12:58

The third is completely and clearly inappropriate. Child half lying on a bed with a dress rucked up high with that vulnerable gaze ... imagine who might enjoy this photo. Utterly vile, and needs to be taken off social media ASAP to protect this child/this child’s image.

Now I’ve been debating the first two pictures. And the second is just crap, but the first I’ve been wavering about. I couldnt decide whether that first one was bad because it was simply a bad shoot/bad photo, or whether it was inappropriate for another reason. However, I’ve decided it doesn’t really matter, as the wind or wet cloth or a shadow is molding that dress where it just shouldn’t be molded, and it doesn’t matter why or whatever...

So, OP I agree, two out of three of those photos should not be displayed on social media, certainly not as advertising by a global brand.

It shows how fucked up women’s clothes industry is, as in about 4 yrs that child model could well be modeling adult clothes ranges and being considered fine to be exposed to all this vile crap that is being transposed downwards onto her at the moment. Even her age can’t protect her right now, so what will it be like in a few years?

Ugh. Zara, you should be ashamed to be associated with this stuff, and exposing this little girl in this way. But I bet you’re not.

Itssosunny Mon 25-Mar-19 10:20:56

The pictures are not suitable for school age girls. What's next?

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Mon 25-Mar-19 10:40:02

I really can't see a problem apart from the clothes not looking very nice.

BelindasRedPlasticHandcuffs Mon 25-Mar-19 10:48:17

* Very odd. A bit creepy - just because they’ve styled her exactly as they would have an adult.*

This will bells on. The exact same photo shoot could have been done with an adult model.

The first one just makes me think 'no parent would put their daughter in that dress at the beach, and it looks far too cold for her not to be wearing tights.'

The second makes me think they've made her pose like a waify grown-up model and it just looks daft. Like half way to a teenager pulling a stroppy Kevin-esque should slump.

The third one is awful and inappropriate. When I look at the other two in the context of the third they do leave me feeling more unsettled too.

Happyspud Mon 25-Mar-19 10:51:10

It’s adult styling. And designed to make her look not like a young child but like an object of attraction. It’s bad enough they do that to women ALL the time but wrong to do it to a child.

MIA12 Mon 25-Mar-19 10:52:41

Yanbu. What were they thinking? hmm

caringiscreepy Mon 25-Mar-19 10:56:14

Ach horrible confused I'm not usually one to be shocked by ad campaigns but this is grim

BarbieJellyBabyBrain Mon 25-Mar-19 11:00:41

It's too adult and serious, even without the pretty sexualised 3rd photo. Kids are supposed to be playing, laughing, loving life! I hate these sorts of kids photoshoots.

Meandmetoo Mon 25-Mar-19 11:02:36

The third one is absolutely terrible and very inappropriate

AttheShriekingshack Mon 25-Mar-19 12:14:07

The first one is based on as above so below

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Mon 25-Mar-19 12:26:58

I think you're all reading way too much into this.

Zoeputthatdown Mon 25-Mar-19 12:31:10

3rd is the worst. Poor judgment by them.

upthewolves Mon 25-Mar-19 13:35:06

They've been removed from Zara's Instagram feed so looks like they got the message!

Girlofgold Mon 25-Mar-19 14:09:45

Creepy

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Mon 25-Mar-19 15:01:58

What? I genuinely see nothing wrong with this. It's just a child playing in a dress. Weird how we all see things differently.

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Mon 25-Mar-19 15:02:57

OK, just looked at the third one. That's cutting it a bit close, I admit.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 25-Mar-19 15:03:37

yes, weird how some people appear to have been conditioned into regarding a picture of a child in a blatantly adult and provocative pose as perfectly normal.

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 25-Mar-19 15:05:17

Last picture is horrible.

aprarl Mon 25-Mar-19 15:24:20

Dear god - multiple people must have seen and planned and approved this whole campaign and those images. Not one of them thought "this is a bit inappropriate"?

It's like there are no professionals left in the world.

MeAgainAgain Mon 25-Mar-19 16:12:42

It bothers me that adult women always have to look bloody miserable when modelling, I mean why is that? Who decided looking miserable s sexy? "in the 80s women were often allowed to smile in ads! Then you get famous ones where there's added sexiness of implication woman about to be gang raped, woman is drug addict, woman is dead.
We have got used to the disturbing way (usually very young) women are represented, seems more of the same on the way for girls.

MeAgainAgain Mon 25-Mar-19 16:14:01

3rd image grim

But all of them are off really

FoxSquadKitten Mon 25-Mar-19 16:21:05

Ew no, not nice, especially the bed one 😒

marvellousnightforamooncup Mon 25-Mar-19 16:22:15

I want to see child models smiling and playing like normal kids. I don't want to see them posed like a 1990s Kate Moss or in provocative poses. That third picture is awful. 'Edgy' is not appropriate for children.

Itssosunny Mon 25-Mar-19 16:37:08

Exactly marvellous up

Itssosunny Mon 25-Mar-19 16:37:49

Meant to say - thumbs up

Katinkka Mon 25-Mar-19 17:03:28

Completely inappropriate. What are they thinking?

MrsTommyBanks Mon 25-Mar-19 17:08:59

The third one is all kinds of wrong imo.

spaniorita Mon 25-Mar-19 17:12:28

I don't care for it at all either OP. I think it is sexualised, the pulling up of an already short dress, particularly in the last image is very poor taste.

Papergirl1968 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:35:45

Predictably this is now on the Daily Mail website...
I can't do links but hopefully someone more techy will be along in a sec...

Yossarian22 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:50:52

First one is adult pose, second makes me want to get her a coat to warm up, third wtf?
Dodgy photography and dull clothes = no thanks Zara,not for my kid/ those I buy pressies for.

TatianaLarina Mon 25-Mar-19 18:44:05

They have an air of Balthus about them.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 25-Mar-19 19:25:29

They have an air of paedophilia about them, tbh (don’t know who Balthus is).

Arpafeelie Mon 25-Mar-19 19:35:31

Completely inappropriate.

But also - why? It's lit so that you can't tell what colour the dress is, and by having it blown up / pulled up you can't tell how long it is, or what it looks like either.

Who is going to buy a dress when you can't tell what it looks like from the advert?

AriadnePersephoneCloud Mon 25-Mar-19 19:50:13

Entirely inappropriate and icky. What was the photographer thinking. I'd not want him near any children after seeing these.

HennyPennyHorror Tue 26-Mar-19 01:02:26

I feel like tweeting Zara about this. Does anyone else feel like giving them some shit over this?

Why should we allow manufacturers to play into this seriously unhealthy idea? The objectification of small girls...making her into some sort of little Lolita...who are they trying to appeal to here???

Not us! And we're the ones they're trying to sell to!

HennyPennyHorror Tue 26-Mar-19 01:05:25

Oh it's been removed after complaints!

www.newssummedup.com/a/1bngbl

3in4years Tue 26-Mar-19 03:24:55

The last one is awful and so are the clothes.

0ccamsRazor Tue 26-Mar-19 06:28:13

Sexualising children, what the fuck are you up to zara?

0ccamsRazor Tue 26-Mar-19 06:31:39

Ok so it has been taken down, but how the hell did they get approved in the first place?

That is what i would like to know.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Tue 26-Mar-19 08:07:20

Well, look at some of the comments on here, ‘don’t see the problem’ has been said more than once.

Personally I’d be sacking everyone involved in this.

MRex Tue 26-Mar-19 08:17:11

I really expected to say YABU and oversensitive, but these look creepy. Maybe it's the adult poses having an effect, or the drape of the dress for the photos. Maybe it's that the lighting and setting in the first two are a little girl out on her own after dark, followed by a bedroom photo. Whatever it is, YANBU and they shouldn't have been signed off.

picklemepopcorn Tue 26-Mar-19 08:22:35

Every shot emphasises her crotch or her bare pre pubescent legs.

As an edgy piece of art about girls growing up and loss of innocence then perhaps. As an advert, no way.

zingally Tue 26-Mar-19 08:23:04

The third is a bit odd... Reclining on a bed, with the dress up around the top of her thighs... A bit overly-sexualised.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »