Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you do with cooking fat?

(113 Posts)
greathat Sun 24-Mar-19 21:44:23

I always stick it in a plastic bag and bin it. Trying to reduce plastic bag use though...

SabineUndine Sun 24-Mar-19 21:46:28

Wipe it out of the pan with recycled kitchen paper and bin it.

cardibach Sun 24-Mar-19 21:46:59

i don’t think I cook anything which leaves cooking fat which needs disposal. What kind of things are you cooking?
I’d put it into food recycling I guess, but it depends on quantity. How much are we talking?

Mesoavocado Sun 24-Mar-19 21:48:08

I have a glass fat jar and I pour any excess oil or fat into. When it gets full I bin it but it takes a year to fill it up smile

dementedpixie Sun 24-Mar-19 21:48:13

If it's from a deep fat fryer then I used to put it in the empty bottle and bin it. We're not allowed to put liquids in the food waste

Prometheus Sun 24-Mar-19 21:50:17

We don't really have leftover fat but my mum always used to put it in a cup that she kept in the fridge so it solidified then used it the next day when she needed oil to fry something. The same fat was used for years....

MrsJayy Sun 24-Mar-19 21:51:24

I have a foil chinese take away tray i pour fat into and let cool or i wipe round the frying pan i don't have a fryer any more because of the emptying

Leeds2 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:51:51

I once read (maybe on Mumsnet!) that you could tip fat, oil etc into an empty yoghurt pot, with a bit of string from the bottom to over the top, and once it was full you could use it as a fat ball for birds. I have tried this, and although the fat solidifies, I can never get it out of the pot in any way which would be suitable for using as a fat ball!
So, maybe you would have better luck with this or, do as I do, and just throw the pot away once it is full.

MrsJayy Sun 24-Mar-19 21:52:37

My Nan had a tray of fat that she re used and re used and...

44PumpLane Sun 24-Mar-19 21:54:27

Lots of tips will have an area for used cooking fat so if it's the type that stays liquid then store it in a bottle and take it to the tip when finished.

If it's the type that solidifies them put in an old egg box (on a plate) and if you generate a lot of fat then keep the egg box till it'd full then bin, and if you don't then just chuck in bin after the one use assuming you'll have another egg box for the next time you need it.

Or you csn make bird feeders out of some fat too.

44PumpLane Sun 24-Mar-19 21:55:26

Oh or lake land sell things that look like they are made from old egg cartons to hold fat- if you would rather something fancier hanging about your kitchen.

BrightYellowDaffodil Sun 24-Mar-19 21:56:18

It either gets tipped into a mug/small bowl and used as cooking fat, or soaked up with some kitchen roll and thrown away.

SrSteveOskowski Sun 24-Mar-19 21:57:18

Same as @SabineUndine. Wipe the pan with kitchen towel and put it in the bin. I don't use a frying pan that often though and don't have a deep fat fryer.

Laiste Sun 24-Mar-19 21:57:23

Bird feeder idea is genius! Wouldn't you have the eggbox thing in the fridge though? Rather than out on the worktops?

JaceLancs Sun 24-Mar-19 21:57:43

Very rarely have any as cook without fat or oil
Fat that comes off things cooking like meat - I pour into empty can usually cat food and bin ir

Laiste Sun 24-Mar-19 21:58:00

The sausages we have always give out quite a lot of fat.

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Sun 24-Mar-19 21:58:11

Wipe it out and bin it. Family friend had a rather rancid pan that she used to reuse fat in, all mixed together. It left my parents rather ill one time when they visited, especially my dad who can't eat anything from a sheep. They only saw it after they ate. Always clean pans out now!

lizzie0712 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:00:39

Soak it up with slices of bread and put it out for the birds

LordVoldetort Sun 24-Mar-19 22:01:13

I just tip it down the sink....grin (joking before I’m told off)

If I have packaging that can’t be recycled (fruit plastic and black plastic can’t in ours) then I tip it in there and bin it. If it’s a small amount then I just use kitchen towel.
Are you allowed to food waste recycle it? I always forget to check and don’t want to put it in there if you can’t

User12879923378 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:01:19

i don’t think I cook anything which leaves cooking fat which needs disposal. What kind of things are you cooking?

A leg of lamb or chicken will render plenty of fat during roasting. Chicken fat gets strained and used for potatoes here. Lamb fat gets scraped into anything that is going into the refuse bin or wiped off onto kitchen paper. If fat that doesn't solidify at room temperature is used, it gets poured into a big bottle that used to contain sunflower oil which will be binned when it's full.

Scrowy Sun 24-Mar-19 22:01:57

You can get fat trappers/absorbers

Lakeland

Personally though I just tip it on my massive compost heap.

Steamedbadger Sun 24-Mar-19 22:02:49

Fat jar and bin when it's full, or sometimes I mix it with oats and leave it out for the birds.

Cherrymix Sun 24-Mar-19 22:03:40

You need to be careful what type of cooking fat you use for bird feeders.

ww2.rspb.org.uk/our-work/rspb-news/news/266511-big-fat-no-for-birds

I have also read another article:

""Chris Bailey, Advisory Manager for RSPB Scotland, said: “Feeding garden birds is a popular activity in Scotland as well as a lifeline for many species during winter when natural sources of food are in short supply. However, certain types of food are very bad for birds and cooking fat is one of them.

“The problem comes when cooking fat mixes with meat juices and sets; the consistency is prone to smearing which can damage birds’ feathers at a time they need them in a good condition to stay warm. The mixture will also go off quickly providing a breeding ground for diseases. Don’t be put off from feeding our feathered friends though - there are plenty of safe options including bird cake and seed mixes or kitchen scraps like cooked potato, dried fruit and mild grated cheese.”

Read more at ww2.rspb.org.uk/our-work/rspb-news/news/details.aspx?id=386818#rZk8udIRTyAgkIhK.99"

Cherrymix Sun 24-Mar-19 22:04:56

You can just scrape solid fat up, wrap in newspaper, and put in food waste bin

talktoo Sun 24-Mar-19 22:05:25

JaceLancs and Cardibach how do you not cook with any fats or oils? Don't you ever pan fry? Fish? Steaks? Omelette? What about roast meats and sausages, lots of fat comes out. I know vegans who eat a lot of tofu and stir fry vege that need oil.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »