Talk

Advanced search

To feel overwhelmed by the amount of badness in the world?

(16 Posts)
marchingonwards1234 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:41:24

Having a rough few days feeling negative already anyway, but I clicked on the thread where you can see photos of clothes or landscapes or random stuff to see if members of the public recognise anything that could help police find child abusers.

Obviously, we all already know there are such things in the world like images of child abuse, but it is sobering to realise how much of it there is. A whole industry around this stuff where the abuse and rape is an actual commodity that people pay for. What the fuck.

Who are these people? How do they rationalise with themselves that doing this stuff is ok?

Do the children used in videos or photos manage to get away as they get older? Or are they likely murdered at some point?

How the actual fuck do these abusers go to sleep at night, or manage to eat anything, despite doing what they do?

MudCity Sun 24-Mar-19 21:51:11

YANBU. Had the same thoughts recently in relation to animal cruelty. It makes me weep. How human beings can act in such appallingly cruel ways towards those who cannot defend themselves leaves me in utter despair. I often wish I could live a hermit life and not have contact with people at all. It is heartbreaking.

puppy23 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:28:53

@MudCity same with animal cruelty, I seem to see so much about it on social media and it frequently brings me to tears. I don't think I'll ever understand why people do what they do, but then I don't know I'd ever want to. Those poor victims

SnagAndChips Sun 24-Mar-19 22:37:10

I've been feeling the same. Suddenly there seems to be so much abject cruelty. I sometimes have to pass on the news.
Just recently- Aleisha McPhail, a number of small babies brutally abused by their parents, so many parents killing their toddlers, on top of animal cruelty and terrorist attacks- Christchurch and Utrecht.
Is it down to more reporting, or is the world just becoming more brutal?

Inapickle230 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:42:32

It’s horrible isn’t it. I know we shouldn’t ignore bad things but if you’re feeling down just don’t watch the news for a while, be careful about who you follow on social media and try and think about all the lovely things that happen that aren’t newsworthy.

When I’m feeling anxious or down I find myself thinking about all the wicked things going on in the world and actively try and stop dwelling on them as I can’t change anything. It shows you are a kind person to care so much.

madeyemoodysmum Sun 24-Mar-19 22:43:45

My 11 year old asked me today what’s the purpose of humans ?

My answer we are the parasite of the planet earth. Sad but true. In soooo many ways

SosigDog Sun 24-Mar-19 22:52:06

My DM always says if it’s cold outside, all you can do is close your windows so you don’t freeze. Likewise if the world outside is bad, all you can do is close your (mental) windows. Stop reading the news. Don’t click on things that will upset you. It’s pointless to let bad things in when it just upsets you and you can’t do anything about them.

OnlineAlienator Sun 24-Mar-19 22:52:41

I don't think the world is becoming more brutal - 200yrs ago, cattle were chained up and set upon with dogs before slaughter because it was believed this would improve the meat. That would never be allowed now. 500yrs ago you could be hung, tortured, have your head chopped off and displayed on a spike, quite routinely!

Twerking9to5 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:58:16

I know. I can start dwelling on this too.

I find it can sometimes help to think that when something awful happens (ie a terrorist attack), there will be an opposing force of love in the aftermath. People standing together and rejecting hatred and fear. There are many, many forces of good in the world. I try and focus on that. Hard but necessary x

cushioncovers Sun 24-Mar-19 22:59:46

What's depressing to me is that despite technology and science advancements our behaviour seems to remain almost the same as it's ever been.

For example Cattle might not get set upon in the U.K. but In parts of Asia they skin alive,beat and torture dogs to 'improve the tenderness of the meat' people might not get hung drawn and quartered anymore but many still get beaten tortured raped and beheaded in parts of the world. Humans seem to be such a cruel warmongering species. 🤷🏻‍♀️

WisdomOfCrowds Sun 24-Mar-19 23:01:45

I'm with you. This world is a dark and ugly place and I feel genuinely guilty for bringing children into it.

Iggypoppie Mon 25-Mar-19 08:32:35

I feel the same OP. I think the majority are people are 'good' but there is IMO a minority of really dispicable ones, and I feel like they are able to connect better and be fueled by online support. E.g. rape culture, male violence, torture, kink. What happened to alesha macphail weighs heavily on my mind, especially because of the links with online horror etc. I was also in bute that weekend. I'm wishing i could find a faith to sustain me, or perhaps it better to try and do good personally to offset the bad. It's hard, isn't it.

Villanellesproudmum Mon 25-Mar-19 08:36:28

Blimey, I’m the most pessimistic person I know and even I don’t think the world is full of badness, lots of shite but pretty balanced with good.

ShatnersWigIsActuallyAMammoth Mon 25-Mar-19 08:49:16

I'm definitely a misanthrope in terms of the human race as a collective entity.

NotTerfNorCis Mon 25-Mar-19 08:53:46

I think people are born self centred and have to develop empathy. Some never develop any. For the rest of us it's selective to varying degrees. It has to be, you can't help/sympathise with everyone in the world.

cushioncovers Mon 25-Mar-19 09:13:20

Blimey, I’m the most pessimistic person I know and even I don’t think the world is full of badness, lots of shite but pretty balanced with good.

Don't get me wrong there is goodness in the world but overall as a species we seem to have to dominate, conquer and control anything and everything. Yeah there will always (thankfully) be people following behind the mess trying to peace-keep, help and patch the wounds but it doesn't stop us as a species fucking it up to begin with.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: