Talk

Advanced search

To just want a bloody car seat?!

(49 Posts)
CheekyChappy710 Sun 24-Mar-19 20:48:44

Seriously my MIL keeps buying us car seats but then having to return them ad they're totally unsuitable. Our DC is just age 2 and we need a narrow car seat forward facing to fit in the front of our VW T4 transporter van (drivers seat then 2 narrow joined together passenger seats - no other seats) please help us?! She is so sweet to buy us seats but shes tried 3 so far totally off her own back and they are either for much older kids or babies! Thank you!!

woollyjumperseason Sun 24-Mar-19 21:17:22

www.britax-roemer.co.uk/fitfinder

when i used this fit finder with the details of the car the maxway and maxway plus showed as fitting the front left hand seat. these are rear facing seats. i think the link will show the form to fill out again rather than the results.

keepforgettingmyusername Sun 24-Mar-19 21:19:28

@Highway don't be so sanctimonious.

CheekyChappy710 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:25:36

The max way appears to be rear facing only which is interesting, I wouldn't want to invest in that if that's the case as she will be forward facing soon being so tall. The other suggested seats are boosters from at least 15kg upwards. Shes only 12kg and unlikely to get to 15kg quickly.

Llindsey85 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:29:15

You could try a britax 2 way elite. It Could go rear facing and brace on the dashboard. Look at you tube videos for how to fit in front seats.
It's fairly narrow and as it's rear facing and low, will give the other passenger the maximum amount of room..

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Sun 24-Mar-19 21:31:55

Try the in car safety centre. They'll help you get the best fit.

CheekyChappy710 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:32:59

Thanks just googled that one and it linked back to in car safety centre that someone else suggested. It looks small and narrow so it might be a winner. I'll give them a call tomorrow!

WeeDangerousSpike Sun 24-Mar-19 21:36:16

I've got the 2 way elite. It's great. Does forward and rear facing.

We've had it forward facing in the front of a van in the middle and it fit fine.

Also, it's universal - it should fit in any vehicle - there's all sorts of ways of belting it in.

CheekyChappy710 Sun 24-Mar-19 23:04:36

Thanks all

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 24-Mar-19 23:33:30

She won’t be too tall to rear face! Five year olds can rear face. They cross their legs are hang then over the side.
You would be best sitting in the middle seat.

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 24-Mar-19 23:34:16

*or not are.

OhWifey Mon 25-Mar-19 04:44:06

Have just done a search in the fb group mentioned above and there are loads of posts about T4s.

CheekyChappy710 Mon 25-Mar-19 20:39:24

@OhWifey I cant see anything that relates to what we need but if you can see stuff and think the seats they mention might fit our needs please feel free to let me know as I don't have Facebook so have to wait till my friend can look for me.

CheekyChappy710 Mon 25-Mar-19 20:41:09

@MyDCAreMarvel thanks I appreciate some people would let their kids rear face like this but I think it looks so uncomfortable so we wont be rear facing for much longer.

Llindsey85 Mon 25-Mar-19 20:59:42

I really would consider rear facing for longer. It's really so much safer and actually they find it more comfortable.
As their feet don't reach the floor,it means their legs just dangle. Try sitting like that with your legs dangling for any length of time.
I'm actually sitting here right now with my legs curled up to me even though I have lots of space and kids do the same day to day.

hennaoj Mon 25-Mar-19 23:10:14

Radian 5 doesn't use the top tether when rear facing. Turned my 5 year old forward facing from rear facing not long ago. He's very tall, he still likes to cross his legs asthough he's rear facing. He loved looking out the back window and waving at people!

Queenie8 Mon 25-Mar-19 23:23:44

Contact VW Head Office, you can't be the only family to have come across this problem.

Ihatehashtags Tue 26-Mar-19 09:04:57

Do your own research and ask her to buy it. Don’t be so bloody lazy. I can’t believe you would do this.

CheekyChappy710 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:51:59

@Ihatehashtags you definitely haven't read this right! Have a great evening sweetie.

roundligament Tue 26-Mar-19 22:12:25

Ifs so frustrating I know because we had this problem with my husbands T6 and my son when he was exactly the same as your daughter
Can multi Mac make you one? Especially I'm assuming that the van is like a hobby/ trip one so you want to use it for outings as a family? Alternatively which sounds fucking mental can one of you follow down in the car when you go away and use the car to travel in with daughter and van to sleep in?

CheekyChappy710 Wed 27-Mar-19 20:38:00

@roundligament It does sound mental but we've had the same thought as you then realised that's just such a waste of fuel and miles on the car etc (we plan on going long distances). We borrowed and tried a two way elite and it fits well so we've got one on order!

Llindsey85 Wed 27-Mar-19 21:08:24

Great choice 😁

roundligament Wed 27-Mar-19 21:40:25

I will be looking this up for our baby!!
I hope you have some amazing adventures as a family and well done for persisting and not giving up an awesome hobby at one of the first hurdles

CheekyChappy710 Wed 27-Mar-19 22:10:59

@roundligament that's so sweet thank you!

Frogqueen13 Wed 27-Mar-19 22:31:55

Britax first class or recaro young sport sre really narrow

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »