Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask how much personal loan/CC debt you have?

(60 Posts)
AllTheGlitter Sun 24-Mar-19 20:41:21

Hi guys, I’ve just done a blush debt consolidation loan and having a bit of a panic. The payments are fine, we can definitely afford them. Just want to know if anyone else is in my situation as I feel like the only one! sad

Youmadorwhat Sun 24-Mar-19 21:22:07

No loans or mortgage (paid off thank god) just a cc bill of 1,200 that I pay the minimum on as its 0% but could pay it if necessary with savings.

Princessmushroom Sun 24-Mar-19 21:22:56

We had £15k credit card debt. Paid it off whilst earning less than £7 per hour and my husband being unemployed.

We scrimped a LOT, and learned about side hustles to make extra money on the side. We did all sorts.

That was a few years ago now and I’m so glad we tackled it. We did it debt by debt, paying off the highest interest first then closing the credit card account.

weekendsleep Sun 24-Mar-19 21:23:39

I have about £400 on a credit card + loan. It used to be over 1k! Paying it all back now & only use cc for emergencies (limit of £300) most recently for Ddog emergency vet visit which we are still waiting for insurance to pay back.angry

Figgygal Sun 24-Mar-19 21:25:30

£400 on a cc
No loans or other cards

puppymouse Sun 24-Mar-19 21:29:00

I have a fair bit. Two 0% cards with around 9k between them and my car has about 5k left in finance to pay. I just got rid of a loan and another card.

Payments were affordable and all low to zero interest and perfect credit rating but it was starting to scare me. Mainly vets bills and generally living beyond my means, nothing that extravagant.

Tunnocks34 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:30:40

4K at the minute on a cc, which had a 15k limit.

We’re going to be clearing about half of that in the next couple of months and putting the rest on a zero interest card. I’d rather not have it of course but the payments are extremely affordable.

BuildAParsnip Sun 24-Mar-19 21:31:48

Just mortgage

TapasForTwo Sun 24-Mar-19 21:34:40

Nothing. One advantage of being old is that we no longer have a mortgage. Our cars are getting long in the tooth, but belong totally to us.

BitchQueen90 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:35:24

I don't have any. I have a credit card but I pay the balance off every month as I only use it for food shopping.

But I am a low earner and a single parent. In my situation debts could very quickly spiral out of control, no way could I afford big repayments. So I am very very careful to spend within my means.

In the past I had over £2k of debt from a loan and overdraft and there was a period in my life when I had to survive on £20 a week for all food, toiletries, leisure etc because I had so many repayments to make. I vowed never to get into that situation again.

MadameMaxGoesler Sun 24-Mar-19 21:37:17

Other than mortgage, none.

JaceLancs Sun 24-Mar-19 21:37:39

2.5k left on an interest free credit card
I am about to borrow another 3.5k again on interest free credit card to loan 2k to DD for car and 1.5k for cat to have surgery 😞

LaurieFairyCake Sun 24-Mar-19 21:41:04

Zero. Feels so good.

But 20 years ago it was 50k

Ambi Sun 24-Mar-19 21:41:52

We've maxed out credit cards and had loans worth thousands, paid all that off and got ourselves some savings.
Then DH was made redundant and we invested in a new business that didn't amount to much and back into debt we got but harder to pay it off with my wages. He took a job with a pay cut for a regular income and a few years later we're debt free with a savings cushion.
It's a hard joyless slog to climb out and I'm pretty frugal these days as a result.

CasperGutman Sun 24-Mar-19 21:43:32

CC is paid in full every month, so not really debt but about £1000. No loans or finance. So that just leaves the mortgage of £shitloads.

Slazengerbag Sun 24-Mar-19 21:45:45

Not completely sure blush a sofa from dfs at 0% but that ends in May. My car which ends in August.

We have no credit cards at all. About 18 years ago every time I went in to a shop I was offered a store card which I took and my bank offered me a credit card. I got in to about 10k worth of debt in about 12 months! It was all on stupid things like clothes, nights out, takeaways and fags!! It took me years to pay it all off and I never want to be in that situation again. Our home needs quite a bit of work which we could bung on cards but my husband has an illness that has left him unable to work in the past ( thankfully he has been okay for a few years) and I just can’t risk adding to our outgoings so we save until we can afford to do it.

blue25 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:48:13

Zero. Have a mortgage though which we're try to pay off ASAP.
Hate being in debt!

AllTheGlitter Sun 24-Mar-19 21:50:46

Thanks everyone for being so honest, I’m not in an awful situation just embarrassed I guess! This will help me save though at least so just paying off the 2 loans

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Sun 24-Mar-19 21:58:10

About 10k across two (0%) credit cards. It's the most I've ever been in by some distance - a lot of it is from the costs of moving/buying first home, and from covering the unpaid bit of maternity leave, but some of it is probably from holidays I should have saved for first. blush It's in control (the repayments are affordable, one will be cleared by the time the 0% ends, the other will be much smaller and I hope it won't be difficult to move it to a fresh 0% offer) but it does stress me a bit and I'll be glad when it's all paid off.

zebrapig Sun 24-Mar-19 22:02:24

Only a new carpet on the credit card which will be paid off next month. 10 years ago we were £17k in debt, finally paid it all off 5 years ago and never going to get in that situation again. Now if we don't have it, we have to wait for it.

RMogs Sun 24-Mar-19 22:54:15

£750 on a loan and about 200 on cc, loan will be gone in May (can't wait) so should clear cc in June. Been a long slog but so glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel now

Flaverings Mon 25-Mar-19 07:23:24

In the past I’ve had a student loan and a mortgage, both now paid off. It was drummed in to me never to get in to debt so I never had a credit card, car finance, overdraft etc.

I listened to a piece arguing that personal debt (eg credit cards) should just be wiped out, and thought that was very persuasive.

BarbedBloom Mon 25-Mar-19 07:32:01

About 5k between me and my H. Unfortunately we had a bit of a bad patch where we were both made redundant and couldn’t find anything else and a lot of stuff went on credit cards, including a deposit for a new rental place as the landlord sold up during all this. I have since been diagnosed with a chronic condition and can no longer work full time, which is pants as I was main wage earner. Not ideal but we are chipping away at it best we can and are due a small inheritance which will clear it.

I hate being in debt, it is awful

PlainVanilla Mon 25-Mar-19 07:38:37

Mortgage free now for 3 years and anything I might put on a credit card is paid off in full every month.
I hate the way the UK economy is based on credit and debt.

LoubyLou1234 Mon 25-Mar-19 07:40:56

Been there done it, cleared it all by mid 30s. Consolidation didn't work for me I just ran tthe card and over draft back up and paid minimal.

Just the mortgage for me and we are overpaying that to reduce the term. Who knew that I'd actually enjoy saving and watching the money build. Everything is now saved for and paid for that way.

scaryteacher Mon 25-Mar-19 07:42:03

In credit on my UK card, the Euro one gets cleared every month, and sub £30k on the mortgage. We cleared the cards last year, as dh retires at the end of this one, and we want to go home debt free.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »