Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you if you have Rosacea?

(49 Posts)
Iseverynametaken Sun 24-Mar-19 19:51:50

I ask because I do and I feel like the only one! I was disagnosed sometime ago by an unsympathetic dermatologist who sent me away with some fact sheets with alarming photos and a bunch of prescriptions to but and not much advice.

If you also suffer what are somethings you have learnt or used for your condition? Do you have 'flare ups'? After using Dr Google im feeling abit worried about the future of my skin having read its only treatable not cureable sad

HomoHeinekenensis Sun 24-Mar-19 19:57:41

Some forms of rosacea are considered to be possibly an overgrowth of the mite that normally just lives in our eyelash and eyebrow hair follicles OP. It might be worth taking that into account when seeking treatment. It is thought this is as a result of a possible problem with your immune response system.

yunalis Sun 24-Mar-19 19:58:41

I do. They gave me metrogel at first but it was useless so I switched to azelaic acid. I use Paula's Choice BHA lotion too and it's so much better. I still get the odd bump but I try to ignore them.

Oh I use the clinique loose yellow powder too. They only sell pressed now though hmm.

Factor 50 all year round too.

sammylady37 Sun 24-Mar-19 20:02:18

I have it- my main symptoms are redness/flushing and the broken veins.

I use soolantra cream- which is actually for a type of mite but I try not to dwell on that! I notice that if I go without the cream for two consecutive nights it flares up again, so I use it nightly.

I’ve also had laser treatment- I get it about three times a year, and it keeps the worst of it at bay.

Never found la roche posay particularly good, though others have found their range good.

Red wine makes it worse, but the biggest trigger for me is stress.

Cryalot2 Sun 24-Mar-19 20:07:18

flowers sorry to hear, but it's not all doom and gloom
I have it for years, and through trial and error found out my way of dealing with it. I don't use medication.
I am not sure if you regularly wear make up. Firstly I got rid of the make up wipes. I tend to use moisturiser for anti redness and then foundation with decent coverage.( Not need excessive amount) I use Vichy and spray with fixing spray.
Use nothing harsh on your skin as it tends to be sensitive.

I use a silicon cleansing brush as this gentler .
Hope this helps .

ImsotiredImsotired Sun 24-Mar-19 20:17:15

I also have it along with acne 😳. It got much worse after I had my children. I have used roaccutane before and it cleared up for a few years but it’s back again. The side effects from roaccutane were very unpleasant. I still see the dermatologist and I’ve been given antibiotics for 4 months. Unfortunately I don’t have the answer but just know you are not alone. I suffer badly from flushing especially if I’m stressed or in awkward social situations which only makes the flushing worse 🙈

QueenofLouisiana Sun 24-Mar-19 20:26:52

I do. Very gentle cleanser, I use Pure sensitive by Waitrose at the moment. I also like tfe rosewood cleanser by Darphin (but it is expensive!).
I use glycolic acid toner at night followed by chamomile oil (also by Darphin). I always use a moisturiser with SPF and also sunscreen in my foundation.
I avoid alcohol when I’m stressed, as I think this makes me flare. I rarely drink wine now, I don’t touch it in summer when my son is struggling with the sun anyway. I have reduced my sugar intake.
We now holiday abroad in cooler times of the year, so I can enjoy the sun when it is less strong and the temperature is cooler. I don’t have saunas or hot baths.

Iseverynametaken Sun 24-Mar-19 21:43:29

Ah yes the wine & stress part is most definitely ringing bells for me now. Had a particularly stressful week last week plus a couple of event on weekend (had a couple of light wines & I dont usually ever drink) and it has resulted in a flare on my chin. Think itchy red skin with small pindot bumps.. fun! I also suffer acne alongside rosacea the cystic type that is horrid..but fortunately at the moment is under very good control with BP pills. I am terrified of ever coming off them to TTC to be honest I know that sounds incredibly vain but it impacts my self esteem greatly.

Im very basic with skin care - I use a extremely plain Neutrogena wash & La Roche Redness serum and Azaelic Acid on areas when they flare which seems to work as an anti inflam. Derm prescribed all manner of creams and antibiotics (literally gave me 7 meds to try) I felt totally in the dark about all of them and then of course googling side effects made me feel worse.

SabineUndine Sun 24-Mar-19 21:45:21

I had it, but I had massive of antibiotics a couple of years ago for a chest infection and the rosacea got much better after that.

DappledThings Sun 24-Mar-19 21:51:36

I do. I have flare-ups of the itchy red skin and little spots and have continuous rash type spots.

Went on antibiotics to clear it up before my wedding and that was ace. Can't remember the name of them but I was completely clear for a year after I stopped taking them.

These days I mostly just ignore it. DH tells me he doesn't notice it either on a daily basis or a flare up and I just kind of forget about it mostly.

FrozenMargarita17 Sun 24-Mar-19 22:01:18

Hiya I do. I take Cilest to help it as well as for birth control. In my week break, it flares up but I try to just deal with it.

I don't often wear make up. And it always flares up in extreme cold or heat.

MoniqueTonique Sun 24-Mar-19 22:29:25

Soolantra. Cured my rosacea which I had been living with for years. It kills off a type of mite called the demodex mite which lives on the skin, we all have it but those with rosacea have it in much higher quantities. Do not google if you are at all squeamish.
It has made such a difference to my skin, it is still slightly red but the horrible lumps bumps and sppts have completely disappeared.

Ninjasan Sun 24-Mar-19 22:40:11

Soolantra here too. After I finished the whole 3 months of soolantra I discoved Vitamin C serum 25%. I'm on the second bottle now. It's fantastic.

GreenTulips Sun 24-Mar-19 22:45:40

I used a anti cold sore virus cream

Really stung but it went in two days and never returned (after years of doctors appointments and creams)

Spudulike3 Mon 25-Mar-19 06:24:26

Hi, I'm another vote for Soolantra. I only had mild rosacea but it worked. I did have to put my point accross quite hard to get it with GP though.

mindutopia Mon 25-Mar-19 07:15:52

Figuring out what triggers it helps. For me, it’s stress and sleep deprivation and too much coffee or alcohol (pretty much sums up my life). Trying to be a bit better with all of this helps calm it down.

Then what’s really made a difference is not using soap on my face (I use the oil cleansing method) and doing things to decrease inflammation overall. Besides avoiding the above, I also take tumeric capsules.

Despite 6 months of antibiotics initially, I was able to put it completely in remission doing the above. I have had a flare up recently when my youngest dc was about 1 (similar to my first so I think it’s hormonal maybe). But it’s been manageable so far this time.

HarrysOwl Mon 25-Mar-19 07:32:27

Yes. Mine was awful, nothing the GP gave me helped so I went 'natural' and it's much, much better now.

What made it worse
- booze
- caffeine
- sugar
- processed food
- having the central heating on
- stress
- hot showers

What helped clear it up
- lukewarm showers
- clean, healthy diet (easier said than done)
- drinking lots of water
- vitamin E
- using Avene anti-redness cleanser
- Avene hydrance moisturiser (in winter or when I can fee the heating drying my skin)
- using Avene anti-redness UV20 moisturiser daily

The Avene sensitive products are the only ones that don't cause a reaction for me.

It took a while but now I have compliments about my skin! Good luck OP.

OlafLovesAnna Mon 25-Mar-19 07:53:59

Soolantra worked miracles for my badly affected skin - I bought it online through one of those private prescription sites and it was quite expensive but absolutely worth it for me.

I used it every day for 3 months and now only once a week or so and my skin is much much clearer. I still flush if I have wine or am stressed but otherwise I haven't had a flare up for months.

mrsjackrussell Mon 25-Mar-19 08:02:40

I had it for 5 years sometimes quite bad and infected. A course of 6 month antibiotics soolantra and sulphur soap cleared it up.
Iv now been clear for nearly 2 years. I still use sulphur soap once a day with moogoo full cream moisturiser. I'm terrified it will come back.
Wine made it worse .

mrsjackrussell Mon 25-Mar-19 08:05:30

Oh and I would say mine is cured. Iv no sign of it now other than some fine thread veins. There's a Facebook group for it which I found invaluable.

WoodyOak Mon 25-Mar-19 08:10:17

My sister has rosacea and eats an alkaline diet which she says helps.

ImNotShpanishImEgyptshun Mon 25-Mar-19 08:50:57

The best thing I've found is washing with Lush Fresh Farmacy soap. I had an awful breakout from using suncream on my face and it cleared it up. It's also keeping the redness at bay. I only have to use tinted moisturizer now.

Undecided84 Mon 25-Mar-19 09:06:07

Mid 30s here. I have been seeing a private doctor to have IPL to reduce and prevent very early stages rosacea, and it has been fantastic for reducing redness on my nose and cheeks as well as getting rid of a few small red broken capillaries on my face.

Depending on how bad your redness is, it may take a few sessions though. (I only had patches of my cheeks that were no longer red after the first session and it took a couple more goes to deal with it completely).

If you decide to have it done, then make sure that you find a proper doctor to do the IPL. Do not risk a dodgy salon!

A bonus is it also reduced sun damage. I am pretty vigalent with wearing daily SPF (being pale), but I had one or two sun damage freckles from getting burned as a teenager (when I was less sensible). These are now completely gone.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 25-Mar-19 09:11:24

I do. I only first noticed it during pregnancy when I had very flushed red cheeks, but it's stayed afterwards. Factor 50 every day helps. I get a few little hot blister type spots, worse when my diet is bad. I use a thin smear of sudocrem on them at night which currently seems to help, and also works as a primer under foundation. I think mine isn't particularly bad, people think I've just got rosy cheeks, but I do worry about it getting worse.

MidnightMystery Mon 25-Mar-19 09:11:49

I'm being treated for probable lupus however the rheumatologist isn't sure if it's lupus rash or rosacea.
I'm taking plaquenil and it seems to be working.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »