Talk

Advanced search

To think that an MP who slapped their partner shouldn't be considered for leader?

(38 Posts)
poshme Sun 24-Mar-19 17:07:03

An MP currently being considered for leadership of their party has admitted that 6 years ago they were arrested by police after public violent incident with their partner.

Surely rather than being praised for 'bravely speaking out' they should be ruled out of the running for leader?

pepinana Sun 24-Mar-19 17:07:34

Who?

Barbarafromblackpool Sun 24-Mar-19 17:08:05

Yes, who?

Nothininmenoggin Sun 24-Mar-19 17:10:37

I'd rather hear the whole story before I passed judgement on them.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Sun 24-Mar-19 17:11:06

I assume it was more than a slap. I saw this in passing but didn’t really clock who she was.

HunkyDory69 Sun 24-Mar-19 17:12:16

Can you save us a lot of googling & tell us who?

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 24-Mar-19 17:13:06

Arrested for or convicted of ?

pepinana Sun 24-Mar-19 17:13:08

The only thing I can find is a tory mp called David ruffley but I've never heard of him so I doubt he's in a leadership contest?!

TheQueef Sun 24-Mar-19 17:13:30

Sarah champion.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Sun 24-Mar-19 17:13:46

There is another thread but I can’t see it. It was a woman though.

poshme Sun 24-Mar-19 17:13:56

Layla Moran.

If it was a man, no one would say they were 'brave' or 'courageous'

Apparently an argument over a computer cable got heated, and she slapped him and the police had to mediate. She was arrested. In public.

poshme Sun 24-Mar-19 17:15:42

Sorry I couldn't see another thread.

pepinana Sun 24-Mar-19 17:16:55

Well, I slapped an ex partner in public once because he spat in my face, backed me up against a wall and said if I spoke back to him again he would tear my fucking throat out.

I don't regret that, and if I ever ran for office and it came out, so be it.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 24-Mar-19 17:19:02

Was she convicted ?

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Sun 24-Mar-19 17:20:34

Also slapped an ex when after I had miscarried, he said ffs you couldn't even get that right.

poshme Sun 24-Mar-19 17:20:43

Not sure this will work.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 24-Mar-19 17:21:59

Was
she
convicted ?

LimaLemur Sun 24-Mar-19 17:24:57

I’ve just Googled this, and have found details here in an article: www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17523457.oxford-mp-admits-slapping-ex-boyfriend-in-row-over-computer-cable/

MuseumofInnocence Sun 24-Mar-19 17:25:43

she was charged but not convicted

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 24-Mar-19 17:26:50

You've lost me - this woman isn't even a tory MP - so considered as leader of what ? And shes the non gender specific spokes being for Shadow Minister for Preventing Abuse and Domestic Violence.

She added: “We got into a heated argument and he said, ‘If you want to leave you’ll have to leave with nothing.’
“I told him if he was going to be ­unreasonable, then I would be too and grabbed a watercolour off the wall.
“It had been given to us as a wedding present and painted by his great uncle Somervell, who attempted to climb Everest with [George] Mallory.
"I started walking out of the room and Graham made a lunge for me.
"The next thing I knew I was against the wall as he pushed the picture into my chest. I felt his grip relax and pushed back.

“He grabbed the kitchen phone and called the police and said his wife was attacking him with a weapon.
“I was terrified. That was the sum total of what happened.
“It was a slight ­altercation between a couple who were living in a very strained, unbearable atmosphere.
“That’s not to say I’m making excuses for what happened, but I was amazed when he called the police .”

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 24-Mar-19 17:28:54

Oh for the love of GOD!!!!!

Who Sarah Champion (Labour) or Layla Moran (Libs)

I abhor these ridiculous threads with zero information - its the FB equivalent of 'call me, hun'. Blatant attention seeking.

AuntieCJ Sun 24-Mar-19 17:29:25

I think OP is a bit of a goady fucker. Trying to tempt people to say it's a disgrace etc then the great reveal - it was a woman.

Don't like goady fuckers, myself. If you have something to say then say it, don't disguise it as something it isn't. That's a shitty thing to do.

pepinana Sun 24-Mar-19 17:43:49

OK, so reading her account of what happened its clear he was abusive

poshme Sun 24-Mar-19 17:48:53

I posted within 5 minutes who it was.

I don't think it's goady. I genuinely think that if someone gets into a public argument at a conference with their partner, and loses control enough for it to get violent- and the police involved, that the person shouldn't be a party leader.

Vince cable has announced he's stepping down, and she is said to be one of the contenders. So leader of the Lib Dens.

If it were a man, what would people say?

poshme Sun 24-Mar-19 17:49:41

Plainspeaking I posted almost immediately who it was, and a picture of what she put on twitter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: