Talk

Advanced search

Old house living

(5 Posts)
bulbmoment Sun 24-Mar-19 15:09:41

AIBU to think that if you live in a terraced house that is 150 years old then you shouldn’t really complain about daily living/family noise? Struggling with my neighbours atm, 50/60s couple who are always home. I work from home but have a 3 year old DD who is in FT nursery. She can be loud but I often find myself shushing her as am weary of NDNs. I hate her crying as I get worried NDNs will get the wrong idea and report to SS. Bed times are not fun. It’s sent me a bit crazy if I’m honest! I’ve been complained about getting up for work and taking DD to nursery at 8am, walking up and down my stairs to tend to DD during the night if she’s sick etc. My LL even got a complaint for me using my washing machine on a Saturday afternoon! He’s ignoring them for now but the agents have had to log a ‘strike’ against me as it’s still complaints at the end of the day. It’s so frustrating as I put up with a lot of noise from them including a big dog who barks all day, they’re just hypocrites really! But I understand that the soundproofing on these homes are like paper compared to new builds

MereDintofPandiculation Sun 24-Mar-19 15:14:51

YABU to generalise. My 150yr old terraced house has 2ft stone walls separating it from the neighbours - our DCs would bring their friends here as they didn't have to be so quiet as when they were in their friends' modern semis around the corner.

The only noise from next door I've been aware of has been my 70 year old neighbour on her drum kit in the basement.

nometal Sun 24-Mar-19 15:23:32

Our house has walls up to four feet thick in places and noise isn't an issue but I have lived in terraced houses where the neighbours complained about us walking up the stairs or pulling the chain late at night.

I've also lived in new builds that seem to have paper thin walls. One next door neighbour used to drive me mad with his daily sqeaky bath.

nometal Sun 24-Mar-19 15:24:29

Squeaky

marvellousnightforamooncup Sun 24-Mar-19 15:32:54

If I were you OP I'd complain about their dog noise. They may cut you some slack if they're feeling uncomfortable about their noise too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »