Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that technology/phones have taken over our lives?

(5 Posts)
HappyGoGoLucky Sun 24-Mar-19 12:36:21

I am no saint. I am just as bad! I'm always on my phone, whether it is browsing the news, general internet surfing and watching Netflix, I have an unhealthy addiction to my phone. I have a toddler whom I feel I neglect a lot because my phone just constantly calls for me. Odd I know, but that's how much it controls my life. I do not have social media or any other platforms.

Here I am sitting work, every single person in the staff room are all on their phones. We are all sitting here in silence and not a word is being said. I'm really sad that life has come to this. What did we all do before phones was invented? I'm tempted to just go back to a standard phone and get rid of this smartphone completely. blush

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 24-Mar-19 12:42:36

I can’t quite be bothered with this oh ye olde days better before rhetoric
Because you see it’s an affectation where you’ve mythologised the past,as happy bonhomie and everyone all chatted and got on. In fact this wasn’t the case
The tech doesn’t dominate you,it’s up to you how to interact and decide to use or not
The work scenario all that’s different is the phone use,before that folk probably read paper,smoked a fag,had a tea without interacting.
Tech means I can easily see photos, keep in contact with friends. Remain connected to folk I want to
I have an iPad loaded with movies,books so if I’m making a journey I can read etc
Change your phone if you want but don’t blame tech.dont be that luddite

Ihatehashtags Sun 24-Mar-19 14:22:45

Yes they have. The person on her complaining she didn’t get Facebook likes is a prime example of how pathetic we have become as a society.

Reddragonqueen Sun 24-Mar-19 14:37:54

Yanbu. Husband and I have both agreed when our current phones go were getting basic phones. Hes far worse then me, I have a bit scroll when breastfeeding and a couple of times a day but generally if my kids are up in try my best to stay off my phone. I've started putting it away at 730pm to and tidy/read instead. Husband is a nightmare though, always watching videos and accidently ignoring dd because he can't multi task, she's getting good at tell him to put it away

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 24-Mar-19 15:30:36

Pathetic?Speak for yourselves, I can manage my tech use and it’s not problematic
Take your kid to the park,feed the ducks,go a slow stroll.iphone not reqd
If your phone rings let it go to voicemail you’re not LAS compelled to answer promptly
The tech means I don’t use my tv for much other than as screen to stream
Get news,movies etc online.my kids get all their movies/tv online
Don’t own a DVD player,gave the dvd and videos away
Really this passive whining about tech is risible,if it’s detrimental limit or cease use
If a parent can’t respond to their child needs it’s their fault as an adult.dont blame the tech.blame the disinterested adult who can’t stop screen time to attend to their own kid

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: