Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that technology/phones have taken over our lives?

(15 Posts)
HappyGoGoLucky Sun 24-Mar-19 12:36:21

I am no saint. I am just as bad! I'm always on my phone, whether it is browsing the news, general internet surfing and watching Netflix, I have an unhealthy addiction to my phone. I have a toddler whom I feel I neglect a lot because my phone just constantly calls for me. Odd I know, but that's how much it controls my life. I do not have social media or any other platforms.

Here I am sitting work, every single person in the staff room are all on their phones. We are all sitting here in silence and not a word is being said. I'm really sad that life has come to this. What did we all do before phones was invented? I'm tempted to just go back to a standard phone and get rid of this smartphone completely. blush

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 24-Mar-19 12:42:36

I can’t quite be bothered with this oh ye olde days better before rhetoric
Because you see it’s an affectation where you’ve mythologised the past,as happy bonhomie and everyone all chatted and got on. In fact this wasn’t the case
The tech doesn’t dominate you,it’s up to you how to interact and decide to use or not
The work scenario all that’s different is the phone use,before that folk probably read paper,smoked a fag,had a tea without interacting.
Tech means I can easily see photos, keep in contact with friends. Remain connected to folk I want to
I have an iPad loaded with movies,books so if I’m making a journey I can read etc
Change your phone if you want but don’t blame tech.dont be that luddite

Ihatehashtags Sun 24-Mar-19 14:22:45

Yes they have. The person on her complaining she didn’t get Facebook likes is a prime example of how pathetic we have become as a society.

Reddragonqueen Sun 24-Mar-19 14:37:54

Yanbu. Husband and I have both agreed when our current phones go were getting basic phones. Hes far worse then me, I have a bit scroll when breastfeeding and a couple of times a day but generally if my kids are up in try my best to stay off my phone. I've started putting it away at 730pm to and tidy/read instead. Husband is a nightmare though, always watching videos and accidently ignoring dd because he can't multi task, she's getting good at tell him to put it away

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 24-Mar-19 15:30:36

Pathetic?Speak for yourselves, I can manage my tech use and it’s not problematic
Take your kid to the park,feed the ducks,go a slow stroll.iphone not reqd
If your phone rings let it go to voicemail you’re not LAS compelled to answer promptly
The tech means I don’t use my tv for much other than as screen to stream
Get news,movies etc online.my kids get all their movies/tv online
Don’t own a DVD player,gave the dvd and videos away
Really this passive whining about tech is risible,if it’s detrimental limit or cease use
If a parent can’t respond to their child needs it’s their fault as an adult.dont blame the tech.blame the disinterested adult who can’t stop screen time to attend to their own kid

ccln55 Tue 01-Oct-19 10:06:42

It really is difficult for some people though because these things are designed to be addictive so parents do need strong motivation and will to create new habits!

I still find it works to instil balance, especially because the phone is so central to much of our communication, entertainment and information.

Almost like have one room in the house for everything.

Asgoodasarest Tue 01-Oct-19 11:37:32

I do remember before phones were a thing sitting in a staff room. Everyone was either reading the paper or a book / magazine. So although I get where you’re coming from, I don’t think no phones would suddenly make everyone chat and be mega sociable.

Passthecherrycoke Tue 01-Oct-19 11:41:44

I agree with you OP. But then I think, this is the way life is now isn’t it? If I think back to 20 years ago I am so much more connected to friends and family now through WhatsApp FaceTime social media etc than I ever was. I can do a lot more because the admin of life is faster (shopping banking bill paying etc) I can find out about more faster and this knowledge makes my life richer

But- my children are too young for phones and I feel bad restricting their screens when I don’t restrict mine, so they get ignored a bit. My relationship has suffered a bit as we talk much less However I used to always have my head in a book so to some extent technology just replaced that

Kazzyhoward Tue 01-Oct-19 11:42:14

Here I am sitting work, every single person in the staff room are all on their phones.

Yesterday, our local Uni put up a video of the central square on day 1 of Freshers week. Loads of stands in the centre with the clubs & societies etc with only the odd student wandering around, and then the video panned to the "steps" surrounding the square where there were literally hundreds of students sat on the steps, alone, looking at their phones. I couldn't believe it - the opportunity to meet new people, sign up for a choice of dozens of clubs/societies, but,no, they're probably watching you tube videos of facebooking. Made me really sad to see.

TheChampagneGalop Tue 01-Oct-19 11:43:02

Social media is designed to be addictive.
www.sciencefocus.com/future-technology/trapped-the-secret-ways-social-media-is-built-to-be-addictive-and-what-you-can-do-to-fight-back/
A book, a magazine, a CD or a movie will end. Internet content never ends, that's a problem.

TheChampagneGalop Tue 01-Oct-19 11:47:14

By the way, while a lot of people seem content now by just messaging friends and family on FB and similar, I really miss talking on the phone. Some people I know just don't do that anymore. I find it sad, then you don't even get to hear their voice.

BarbedBloom Tue 01-Oct-19 11:58:40

Years ago I would just be sat with a book in the staff room. I am an introvert and I prefer not to talk much during my breaks. I have always hated talking on the phone and I find a lot of people say the same thing so love WhatsApp and texting. I like being able to chat to my friends over lunch, rather than make awkward small talk with colleagues.

I like technology. I have a smart house with voice controlled lights and video doorbells etc. Some days due to my chronic condition I can't stand up to turn lights on etc so it has really improved my life. Plus I can talk to delivery guys if I am not at home to tell them where to leave parcels.

I met my husband and many of my best friends online. The internet opened the world up to me as a teen when I lived in an abusive home and was being bullied at school.

Of course some people are addicted to their phones, but a lot of the time when I am looking at mine it is because I might be doing a food shop, or entering stuff into my calendar, or paying a bill. Not everyone is constantly on social media, I barely use mine.

Kazzyhoward Tue 01-Oct-19 11:59:17

I really miss talking on the phone

Luckily, phone still work, so you can call your friends/relatives, at least for the time being until the phone system is shut down due to lack of demand.

TheChampagneGalop Tue 01-Oct-19 12:09:49

I'm totally addicted to screens myself btw. I love screens and I love MN and all the other excellent websites out there. It's really hard to stop this addiction because it's every single thing is done on our phones now.

Kazzyhoward I have friends that are so used to chatting that they find calls a weird emergency thing.

ccln55 Tue 01-Oct-19 19:52:20

Okay, so imagine you took a break from your phone, what would you do /want to do with the time?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »