Talk

Advanced search

to ask where you would go...

(34 Posts)
whirlyshirley Sun 24-Mar-19 11:58:12

If you had a week of no work, no children, no partner?

So, my DP is taking our DS away on a 'boys' camping trip with his best friend and his DS (very brave considering the kids are only 2 and both an absolute handful! 😂) and I have just been told I have 6 days annual leave left that I need to take ASAP.

I'm loving the idea of a solo trip, but can't decide where to go...I keep switching between lazy beach/spa holiday or city trip with shopping/museums...

Help!! Where would you go?

LizzieMacQueen Sun 24-Mar-19 12:00:58

Are you close to an airport?

I'd suggest Alicante, specifically the hotel Melia, the rooms on their luxury 'level' if you don't mind solo sunbathing, relaxing and being treated to 5 star service.

TheQueef Sun 24-Mar-19 12:01:48

Id go to bed for a week grin cheapskate.

soulrunner Sun 24-Mar-19 12:02:16

Boulder Colorado for a week of trail running. Admittedly a bit niche. Or skiing if the snow’s still decent anywhere.

KittyVonCatsworth Sun 24-Mar-19 12:03:09

Ooooooo, too good an opportunity to miss! You can maybe mix it up a bit, bit of culture, bit of relax. I'd go to Florence, there's so much to see and do. I'm sure if you picked the right hotel / Airbnb, you might be able to get a spa day in. But imagine just waking up, having a lazy lie in, fresh bread and coffee on your veranda when you wake and then just moseying around taking in the sights, smells and sounds with no interruptions. Bliss! I'm sure you enjoy it wherever you go x

peachgreen Sun 24-Mar-19 12:07:05

I'd stay at home and use the money to treat myself to some spa treatments, fancy meals, theatre trips, shopping etc etc. Heaven!

whirlyshirley Sun 24-Mar-19 12:10:15

Alicante and Florence both sound amazing! I will have to look into those options.

Trail running isn't really my thing but I bet Colorado is great too!

It's so hard to choose! DP and DS will be away from the 30th until 6th April so I need to hurry up and decide or I might end up spending the week in bed 😂

peppaaargh Sun 24-Mar-19 12:10:40

Somewhere that's not overly child friendly. Sorrento, Lisbon. Enjoy

Copperplate Sun 24-Mar-19 12:11:28

I'd either walk some or all of one of the easier long-distance paths like the Cotswold Way -- staying in inns/hotels and having my bag transported for me -- or go to the the Netherlands, base myself in Amsterdam, and travel all round to all the Rembrandt exhibitions. Or book myself into a Buddhist retreat centre in the south-west of Ireland for a silent retreat.

IJustLostTheGame Sun 24-Mar-19 12:12:24

Budapest.
I've always wanted to go there.

AgentProvocateur Sun 24-Mar-19 12:12:45

Palma Mallorca in a nice spa hotel.

whirlyshirley Sun 24-Mar-19 12:12:59

I did think about doing that @peachgreen but DP convinced me to make the most of it and get away somewhere.

I was thinking about New York for exactly those reasons; fancy meals, Broadway, museums, shopping!

FuckertyBoo Sun 24-Mar-19 12:13:19

Valencia is fab. I’d go there or maybe Paris, but I have a huge soft spot for Paris!

I’d probably go on some sort of course. Something easy going, like maybe a yoga or art course or maybe some sort of cookery course?

Nomad86 Sun 24-Mar-19 12:14:12

Sicily. Food, wine, total relaxation.

Or a city break you could never do with a two year old, like Florence or New York.

whirlyshirley Sun 24-Mar-19 12:15:35

Ooh, Budapest! I've always wanted to go there too.

We spent Christmas in Amsterdam and actually have a few days in Mallorca booked for our anniversary in August!

Didiusfalco Sun 24-Mar-19 12:15:54

This is not so glamorous as some of the other suggestions, but I would get the train up to the Lake District and probably stay in Windermere (as it has a station and a Booths!) I would do some walking and photography, read loads and enjoy pottering around, sitting in cafes and generally just take life at a slower pace.

peppaaargh Sun 24-Mar-19 12:17:20

Budapest is fantastic

whirlyshirley Sun 24-Mar-19 12:18:13

The Lake District is beautiful, we go for a long weekend a couple of times a year - and it's where the boys are camping!

Didiusfalco Sun 24-Mar-19 12:39:42

Definitely not the Lake District then grin

Didiusfalco Sun 24-Mar-19 12:43:57

In which case I would go to Lyon. Short flight, lovely old town, great shops and restaurants. Beautiful parks. Could get the train across to Geneva from there too.

brizzlemint Sun 24-Mar-19 12:46:04

Iceland.

SimonitesSocks Sun 24-Mar-19 12:57:16

Granada in Spain.

Merryoldgoat Sun 24-Mar-19 13:04:07

I’d be heading to St Lucia to a luxury spa (in this fantasy I’m also rich).

twocats335 Sun 24-Mar-19 13:46:01

Ooh lucky you! Another vote here for Florence. Also, there's Lucca if you want a more peaceful city.

FloydWasACat Sun 24-Mar-19 13:52:16

Sorrento, Sorrento, Sorrento!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »