Talk

Advanced search

I am really fighting off an anxiety attack this evening, anyone got tips until it passes?

(16 Posts)
Klopptimist Sun 24-Mar-19 02:03:56

Hopefully you're over the worst of it now. Breathing exercises can be really useful, I close my eyes and take a long breath, not too deep, and imagine I am breathing in white light, peace and calm. I then exhale, drawing it out for as long as I can, imagining I am breathing out the black smoke of panic. I do this for as long as I need to.

The alphabet game is always a winner too, choose a subject, it could be countries, bands, films, footballers, whatever. One for every letter of the alphabet.

Blondebakingmumma Sun 24-Mar-19 01:21:09

I try breathing techniques also watch tv

Rachie1973 Sun 24-Mar-19 01:14:37

I put comedy on. Ones that I know back to front. It’s The Inbetweeners for me. I can close my eyes and listen, but I know the images so well I can play them in my head.

I do my ‘breathing’ with it. In through my nose for the count of 4. Hold for 4. Out through my mouth for 4.

Generally gets me to sleep quite quickly xx

Nat6999 Sun 24-Mar-19 00:58:21

I suffer from anxiety attacks, things that help me are adult colouring, music, crochet, audio books, hot bath, anything to occupy my hands & mind, mindfulness is supposed to be good but I can't lose myself in it.

lilabet2 Sun 24-Mar-19 00:49:01

Hi Marchingonwards,

That sounds really upsetting. I've been really struggling with my anxiety today too.

One thing that helped today was listening to music and singing along- I think because singing causes you to breathe diaphragmatically with deeper breaths and physiologically anxiety often involves hyperventilating and taking shallow breaths- it sort of counteracts it. Obviously you might hate singing/listening to music and/or it might not work for you though!

DoNotStopToCollectBelongings Sun 24-Mar-19 00:46:30

Good luck, OP, it’s a horrible feeling. I’ve just taken a diazepam for mine. Was watching some pap on TV & feeling beautifully enveloped by sleep but woke up and felt bad. Just tomorrow morning ish to get through. Tried to read for a bit but couldn’t concentrate...

IncrediblySadToo Sun 24-Mar-19 00:46:24

🌷🍰 🍫 I’d add wine too, but it might not be good with your meds!

How physically mobile are you?

I had some anxiety after a bereavement, compared to things people have said on MN before, I know it was only very mild, though it seemed to be getting worse. I read something that clicked with me and it really helped. It’s much like others have said & went something like this... Anxiety is only a feeling, it can’t actually ‘do’ anything. Accept that and you’ll take away its power. It’s a feeling, that’s all. It CANNOT DO anything...

I also found fresh air & exercise helped. If I was unable to actually go out (sleeping kids etc), even just opening the door and standing in the doorway helped.

You have my complete sympathy because I cannot imagine feeling worse than that and frequently. It’s a bloody awful feeling.

PuzzledOfPuzzledom Sun 24-Mar-19 00:31:12

I’ve found the suggestions on Mind’s website helpful for getting through times when I feel very anxious. www.mind.org.uk/need-urgent-help/what-can-i-do-to-help-myself-cope/

Their list of distractions is good too if you just need to take your mind off how you are feeling: www.mind.org.uk/need-urgent-help/how-can-i-distract-myself/

Good luck, I hope your anxiety lessens soon. I know how hard it can be to feel like this but it will pass.

JaneJeffer Sun 24-Mar-19 00:30:04

This is very helpful https://youtu.be/JiDaTi_iQrY

CarpeVitam Sun 24-Mar-19 00:07:26

I'm with Seaview on this, just accept that you are feeling anxious, ride it out and it will pass, I promise!

Secondary anxiety (feeling anxious about the original anxiety) is what escalates it into a full blown anxiety attack. X

HJE17 Sun 24-Mar-19 00:03:01

This might sound odd as well and obviously isn’t a long term solution, but if you’re able to do some at-home exercise (squats, holding a plank... whatever you’re able to do) and push yourself a bit, I find the endorphins after even 10 minutes of exercising can help counteract the shakiness and sense of impending doom that can come with a mounting panic attack. Doesn’t always work but often takes the edge off.

marchingonwards1234 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:56:42

Thank you both, the human contact is really helping.

7Days Sat 23-Mar-19 23:55:37

Rewatch old comforting comedies. Thats probably a healthier suggestion than my other tip - drink wine

SeaViewBliss Sat 23-Mar-19 23:54:02

I don’t know if I can explain this well but I’ll give it a go.

I have practiced letting the anxiety come, feel it and let it pass. I have found that breathing or distraction techniques only either prolong it or postpone it.

By feeling it and letting
It pass, you start to realise that nothing terrible happens when you feel like that.

I’m not saying it’s easy but it’s worth a try.

I’m sorry you feel vulnerable, it’s awful.

marchingonwards1234 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:45:47

* not important to them I mean, i am obviously important to me and DP wink

marchingonwards1234 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:44:38

Feeling completely vulnerable, like I'm ok now but that something dreadful could happen at any minute and then I'd be royally fucked. I used to have really bad anxiety, now I get a bad day with it every 1 or 2 months maybe.

I am disabled, reliant on different drugs and it keeps crossing my mind there's a chance I might not be able to get hold of them with Brexit, and then feel upset I don't have family who would look out for me.

If there was a flood or terrorist attack (random examples) or something in my town my family wouldn't call me to check I was ok. They're not bad people it just wouldn't occur to them because I'm not important and that's fine. I accept it. But sometimes those random hypothetical situations cross my mine and it hits home how alone I am at the moment. And I'm introverted and usually happy with my own company!

Have wonderful DP who is working in a different country for an extended period and absolutely don't want to cause worry (it wouldn't be fair) so hence posting my stream of consciousness on MN.

I know lots of MNetters have anxiety so thought I'd see if anyone has tips? How do you manage if you have anxiety or panic attacks?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »