Talk

Advanced search

To ask for ideas

(14 Posts)
Nofilter101 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:54:01

Aibu to ask for ideas for what to do as a single mum on mother's day with no wider plans. My dd is 3 and it will just be the 2 of us. What should we do? I can't think of anything really and want to avoid places where other people will be. It's just not worth the looks and stares because we are in our own. We love nature and being outside

PinkHeart5914 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:58:11

Why do you want to avoid places others will be? Your a mother out with her daughter on mother’s day, nobody is going to be looking at you!

Afternoon tea? Lots of places do a ‘tea’ for little ones

A walk in a local country park (weather permitting) and get a hot chocolate and slice of cake after?

Local zoo or aquarium?

Expressedways Sat 23-Mar-19 23:02:16

I really don’t think people will be staring at you. My DH will be in Asia for work so I’ll be cracking on as normal and I’m not expecting any strange looks confused
Pink’s suggestion of a country walk followed by cake sounds lovely though! Hope you and your little girl have a lovely day.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 23-Mar-19 23:03:10

Make a cake and watch a film, that's been my go-to for years...

DeRigueurMortis Sat 23-Mar-19 23:11:53

Like a pp I had the day alone one year as DH was away with work and my parents were on holiday.

I took DS and I out for a lovely brunch and then we went to a local park.

Came home put on a movie and cuddled up to Pizza.

After DS bedtime i treated myself to a lovely bath (with some nice bubble bath etc) put on my nicest PJ's and had a cold glass of wine.

It was lovely.

No-one "looked" at me when we were out and about.

Plan the day you want and don't worry about anyone else. Have a smashing day!

Hollowvictory Sat 23-Mar-19 23:13:23

I'm not a single mum but have spent mother's day alone with the kids, dh working away. Nobody stated at me, we went for lunch.

Whatsername7 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:17:13

No one will look at you, why would they? No one is going to stare at childless women or motherless women either. It is just a hallmark holiday, it isn't a big deal to most people. I have 2 young dds but will spend the day visiting my mum and mil. Do something that you and your dd just love to do and be happy.

user1493413286 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:18:06

What do you and your DD like doing together? Me and DD2 often go to the park and for cake together as a nice treat so could you do that as well as a special breakfast like pancakes or something?

AdaColeman Sat 23-Mar-19 23:24:44

Do something that your DD will enjoy, go and feed the ducks in the park, or go for a splash about at the swimming pool, or any fun thing.
At home, have a picnic tea with ice cream and cake, watch a new film, sing along to a musical, take lots of photos.

Have a super day with your little girl, don't worry about what anyone else is doing or thinking.....
They are probably thinking what a lovely smile that young woman has! smile

MintyCedric Sat 23-Mar-19 23:32:30

The last time I planned a special Mothers Day thing with my DD we went to a pottery cafe and each painted a piece, then out for lunch. It was lovely and we still have our pen pot and coaster as a memento.

TBH I've not given much thought to this year. Mothers' Day itself will be all about my mum and DD is with her Dad on the Saturday so it'll largely be just another weekend for me.

babysharkah Sat 23-Mar-19 23:33:01

Do whatever you want to do. It's like valentines day to me, pointless overpriced white. Just have a nice normal Sunday.

Ihatesandwiches Sat 23-Mar-19 23:36:57

Do whatever you and your daughter want! This year DD is with her Dad until tea time. So I'm planning a long lie and a shower where I condition my hair, defuzz and actually use the body lotion (which has been decorative for about 6 months).
Last year we had pancakes for breakfast, went to the park and had fish and chips for tea
Just OWN it. Do whatever you want with the time you have available.

Foslady Sat 23-Mar-19 23:38:15

I used to take dd to a local crafting place - don’t care what anyone else ever thought to be honest, you are doing the job of a mum and a Dad - be proud to go out together. Mother’s Day is for all mums regardless of status.
Whatever you do, I hope you have a lovely day

Leeds2 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:51:06

I would take her on a day out, maybe to a local zoo or farm. Or a pottery place, and get her to paint something. It will be what you make it, and you don't need a DP to do so.
Or, you could stay home and treat it as a normal Sunday. At 3, your DD won't know any different.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »