Talk

Advanced search

To move out of London to Northern Ireland?

(160 Posts)
InternetArgument Sat 23-Mar-19 18:37:28

I realised the other day that I have been trying not to think about all the reasons I’m anxious about staying in london. I have one 2 year old and another on the way.

I’ve had enough of the stress of living here. I have a large house, very small mortgage and it is lovely in one of the nicest areas in the locality.

Im sick of the crime, stress and pollution. DH and I both have ties to Ireland and we have been to the north before and loved it - city, town and country.

AIBU to want to cash out and run to the hills?

Thinking of near Derry or Belfast.

peachgreen Sun 31-Mar-19 16:36:17

London to Donegal! Gosh. That would be a culture shock.

showgirl Sun 31-Mar-19 17:30:20

I don't think I could move to a country that doesn't allow women to have autonomy over their body. Also on a recent visit everyone was very friendly but there was a small amount of racism to people of different ethnicities.

hibbledibble Sun 31-Mar-19 17:39:17

I'm a Londoner and can totally sympathise with the need to escape. It's too busy, polluted, and full of crime. The amount of stabbings and shootings in my locality recently is quite alarming. I have walked past a murder scene more times than I can count on the school run sad

I know next to nothing about northern Ireland but I would say go for it.

3timeslucky Sun 31-Mar-19 18:22:50

Just throwing in an outlier ... would you be equally happy if Ireland united? Just a thought given how it has been bandied about as a possibility in the light of all this Brexit (not one I'm hoping will come to pass anytime soon but some seem to be more keen and open to it happening) ... so you could lose the NHS, join our dysfunctional health system, total change of educational system with compulsory Irish to boot, and help fill the £11billion a year hole (funding NI currently gets from the UK) ... how appealing is that? ;-)

I've lived in London, live in Dublin (and have done most of my life) but my dad is from NI and his extended family still lives there. I wouldn't make the move. There's too much just bubbling under the surface. There are the issues of access to abortion services and the attitudes and laws around being gay. I've experienced what it is to see my country move to acceptance and support of things you have been able to take for granted so long in England/Scotland/Wales and have lived most of my life without them and I really don't know if you can imagine what it feels like to step out of that. It is the shittiest backdrop to life as a woman of child-bearing age (or indeed a gay man or woman). Add on the political situation and a political culture that is so incapable of compromise that it is rendered utterly dysfunctional - even in the face of losing any modicum of control over its own affairs. I know the UK is struggling with questions around democracy and control at the moment but I don't know that it touches the NI experience. I'd also add in the employment situation for consideration where 1/3 of jobs are in the public sector - which may or may not be relevant depending on your areas of employment. And looking further down the line, would your kids be less likely to stay because of the more limited range of options?

It is culturally different to the rest of Ireland, and to where you're coming from. Maybe it is possible to live without feeling the weight of that but I'd be bad at it. Maybe you'd be fine.

I can completely understand wanting to leave London. It isn't somewhere I'd particularly want to raise a family. But I'm not sure NI is either. That said, nowhere is perfect. Good luck with your decision making.

Alsohuman Sun 31-Mar-19 18:34:04

There's racism everywhere @showgirl.

Moneypenny007 Sun 31-Mar-19 19:17:20

I live in donegal and would consider moving to Belfast. I love the buzz the city has and has way more opportunities for work for myself and Dh.

showgirl Sun 31-Mar-19 19:32:40

Yes there is racism everywhere you are right. I just haven't experienced people being openly racist like that in public .

buckeejit Sun 31-Mar-19 19:35:41

Donegal & Fermanagh both too remote for me. Ballymena isn't a fabulous town but half an hour to Belfast & the coasts is pretty great & houses are so cheap in comparison. A neighbours house just sold for £220k ish & fil says it would be about £800k in their area of Yorkshire. I dream of a house by the sea but not practical for us as dh needs to work in Belfast ☹️

hopeishere Sun 31-Mar-19 20:32:04

I agree there is realism @showgirl and it's probably partly because it's not a very diverse place. In my child's school of over 400 children there's about three black children.

Alicesweewonders Sun 31-Mar-19 22:57:23

I moved back to Northern Ireland from England last year. After being away for 18 years. I'm from Derry, it's a lovely wee city, however job opportunities aren't great here & pay is crap. Unless you've got a 'career' path, Belfast has a lot more job opportunities.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »