Talk

Advanced search

To hate colour blocked charity shops

(89 Posts)
Sunny525 Sat 23-Mar-19 17:01:13

I know it looks pretty but who has ever gone into a shop to buy a 'green' not bothered of it's a jumper, t-shirt, cardigan, thick or thin as long as it's green?
AND I have to sort through every colour section in the shop to find a cardigan (for example) and the sizes are all over the place.

I'm sure they think it's a good marketing idea as you have to look through the whole shop but I just give up and don't bother!

AIBU to just want to go in, find the jumper/cardigan section and look through the bit that has my size?

It also makes me furious that they don't apply this ridiculous system to the men's clothing - they can go straight to the shirt section and look at the collar size section that suits them.... do they think lady brains can only shop in pretty colour sections, while men get a sensible system for sorting their clothing angry

Lovestonap Sat 23-Mar-19 21:35:38

* I meant of course hear hear

Supersimpkin Sat 23-Mar-19 21:37:57

Colour blocking only looks good with colours; black stuff, which normally sells first, crawls to the black rail to die. As do white and grey.

I can't be arsed if stock is just sorted by colour. The 'posh' chain of London hospice shops do this now and it's a bore. It also highlights how out of date the colours and prints of the stock are. Fuschia pink trousers anyone? Lime green batty riders?

Size 16 is rare enough as it is without setting the customer off on a search for a needle in a haystack.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Sat 23-Mar-19 21:40:40

I don’t think they should be sorted by colour or size - they should be sorted by garment type. Tops, knitwear, skirts, dresses, trousers, jeans, outerwear.

Still18atheart Sat 23-Mar-19 21:41:46

Yanbu in general. However I quite like it when you go in for a fancy dress outfit and have a certain thing in mind beeline to the colour not there nm try the next shop. This is especially the case with tweed or similar

GG20 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:02:20

I prefer it. Apart from the fact that sizes vary wildly between brands (and even within brands), quite often sizes will be mis-categorised (e.g. a US 10 will be with the UK 10s). I'd rather just look at stuff in the colours I like, and decide whether it fits regardless of what the label says.

Feduppluckingmychinhairs Sat 23-Mar-19 22:07:12

The two best charity shops I frequent are sorted by size, and I purposely avoid the ones sorted by colour. I wish someone would show them this thread

JaceLancs Sat 23-Mar-19 23:37:39

Please will someone tell the staff of charity shops that George, atmosphere and TU are not famous designers!
And breathe.......

FyiYolo Sun 24-Mar-19 07:15:53

I control my wardrobe with an iron fist! Any new item has to go with pretty much every other one I own. I know exactly what colour I want when I go shopping. So, I like colour blocking.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 24-Mar-19 08:11:48

I don't go in wanting say a red top but l know the colours that suit me so l not going near beige/ brown etc. I go into charity shops for a lucky dip so know l will only buy something that pops out at me.
I have an amazing selection of jackets from charity shops all in jewel colours that suit my colouring. Lift a whole outfit. So its colour blocking for me.

imsorryiasked Sun 24-Mar-19 08:34:35

One of my local ones not only sorts by colour but puts the hangers on the rail with the size cube on the "inside" so you can't even immediately see what size stuff is.
I peer in the window occasionally to see if they've come to their senses but don't go in any more.

SileneOliveira Sun 24-Mar-19 08:46:56

Please will someone tell the staff of charity shops that George, atmosphere and TU are not famous designers

Two points. Mostly volunteers. Not "staff". Some volunteers are really interested in fashion and know their labels. Other volunteers don't know their Primark from their Prada. An overworked manager can't check everything, mistakes happen.

Most of the big charities have lots of management information available - we get sales broken down by department and lots of stats about how that compares to last week/month/year. If managers spotted that switching to colour blocking decreased sales, they would swap back. Because it's all about maximising sales. It obviously doesn't have that much of an impact on sales overall.

GreenOliveOrBlackOlive Sun 24-Mar-19 09:10:05

The only possible way to sort clothes is in sizes and into types ie skirts, dresses cardigans etc. Colour blocks are crazy.

However I can forgive charity shops their quirkiness and strange foibles. Finding a Tu item on the ‘designer’ rail is not a big deal to me. As has been said, volunteers are staffing them.

oldfatgreycat Sun 24-Mar-19 09:11:43

Yes I agree and all the ones round here do it. I’m afraid I just can’t be bothered with it.

Sunny525 Sun 24-Mar-19 14:57:30

I understand people only choosing to wear a few colours but even then do they go in purely to browse and not to look for a category of clothing?

I want a red cardigan at the moment but it's much quicker to go to the jumper/cardigan rail and look for a red one in my size section (and the size above and below - which are adjacent) than to sort through every red/redish/pinky-red garment be it long sleeve, short sleeve, thick, thin, wool or cotton...
and surely colour matched people (who I envy as I don't understand how it works or if I'm warm or cool skin tone etc) have to still find the 'right' green? forest green, lime green etc are all different so you don't suit all greens?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »