Talk

Advanced search

To hate colour blocked charity shops

(89 Posts)
Sunny525 Sat 23-Mar-19 17:01:13

I know it looks pretty but who has ever gone into a shop to buy a 'green' not bothered of it's a jumper, t-shirt, cardigan, thick or thin as long as it's green?
AND I have to sort through every colour section in the shop to find a cardigan (for example) and the sizes are all over the place.

I'm sure they think it's a good marketing idea as you have to look through the whole shop but I just give up and don't bother!

AIBU to just want to go in, find the jumper/cardigan section and look through the bit that has my size?

It also makes me furious that they don't apply this ridiculous system to the men's clothing - they can go straight to the shirt section and look at the collar size section that suits them.... do they think lady brains can only shop in pretty colour sections, while men get a sensible system for sorting their clothing angry

americandream Sat 23-Mar-19 17:40:07

Agree. Very annoying.

thedisorganisedmum Sat 23-Mar-19 17:42:41

I much prefer that - I only buy certain colours and I hate rummaging among tens of random items to find a decent one.

There are many colours I would never buy in a million years, so the colour blocked is a fantastic time saver. I hate jumble sale anyway. Many of the independent non-charity shops around here are colour coordinated too, looks better.

bookmum08 Sat 23-Mar-19 17:43:16

Some do this with books too. I don't want to have to stand and read the spines of 200 + books to see if they happen to have the Anthony Horowitz book I am after. I want to look under H for Horowitz.

diddl Sat 23-Mar-19 17:44:29

I don't care how it's arranged tbh.

But then the shops I'm in are usually small enough to flick through all sections & not take long.

FindPrimeLorca Sat 23-Mar-19 17:45:53

There are three charity shops near me. I buy far more from the two shops that sort by colour than the one that sorts by size - it just looks so off putting. It’s only the tops and dresses than get colour blocked, and I might buy any size between 8 and 14, which is about 80% of their stock - so I’ve saved much more time by not looking at the red/orange/yellow/white colour areas than I lost by having to flip past a few 6s and 16s.

SileneOliveira Sat 23-Mar-19 17:46:23

Some do this with books too

We don't arrange books by colour - what a nightmare! Fiction is grouped into crime fiction and other fiction, then alphabetically by author surname. Non fiction is by subject and randomly within that category.

(Unless the D of E kids have been in, where you're likely to find "horrible histories" filed under WW2, and The Great Gatsby under autobiographies).

Sunonthepatio Sat 23-Mar-19 17:47:06

I really prefer it when they do.

bookmum08 Sat 23-Mar-19 17:48:15

The other thing that annoy me is the shops that sort the adult clothes into some sort of order and have books in A-Z but then the children's stuff is all dumped together whether it's a new born babygrow or a tshirt for a 12 year old or a picture book or a YA novel all dumped in the same basket.

evilharpy Sat 23-Mar-19 17:48:43

I much prefer things sorted by colour. I can wear an 8, 10 or 12 depending on shop but I would probably never buy something red, purple or pink - I tend to stick to neutrals. So it’s much easier to just go to the colours I like and scan across several sizes.

SadOtter Sat 23-Mar-19 17:51:56

I like it but as my main reason I ever visit charity shops is to find things for dress up days, either for me or the DC, I do actually walk into the shop thinking right what have they got in this colour?

minniemoll Sat 23-Mar-19 17:53:55

I hate colour blocking! I want to look at all the size 16 tops at once, not root round six different sections looking at one or two in each. I just walk out of the colour blocked shops.

Shakirasma Sat 23-Mar-19 17:57:38

YANBU I have often thought about starting a similar thread. There are 3 charity shops in my town but i just cant face the one that does this, too much like hard work. If i want a blouse i need to be able to look at a rack of blouses, preferably in size order. I dont have the time or energy to traipse round the whole shop looking at every item on every rack to see if theyve got a nice blouse in my size. Colour is the last priority after item type and size.

HelloDarlin Sat 23-Mar-19 18:07:45

I’d never seen it done this way until a recent trip to London. The charity shops looked really smart & boutique style. I liked shopping by colour, because I just selected my size from a nice selection.
With size, I often flick through everything & pick something “just okay” because it’s my size. Whereas the nice colour shops felt more like a proper shopping experience.

Connieston Sat 23-Mar-19 18:10:53

They're competing with all the other shops, and sorting by colour will at least be eye-catching.

BackforGood Sat 23-Mar-19 18:15:57

This really bugs me too. I generally now don't go in them if they have moved to this ridiculous system.

For those posters who say they are, for example, looking for something green, if you stand by a rack of blouses that are in size order, then you can see the green ones instantly. If all the 'green' garments are on a single rail, you have to check each garment to see if it will fit you. So that doesn't make it any quicker for anyone looking for a particular colour - and I do think you would generally be in a minority.

londonrach Sat 23-Mar-19 18:16:43

Yes totally with you but i dont buy clothes from charity shops now as cant afford them. Its cheaper new

prettybird Sat 23-Mar-19 18:16:42

The range of sizing across brands (and time periods with the current propensity for vanity sizing hmm) is a fair point. I hadn't thought of that.

Orangeday Sat 23-Mar-19 18:19:58

YANBU. I don’t even bother looking if I see a shop arranged this way.

Shocksandboooos Sat 23-Mar-19 18:26:26

Completely agree. I want all of the size 10 dresses together next to the size 12 dresses.
I don’t want to have to rummage through a pair of size 18 jeans, a size 6 jumper and 4 size 10 shirts to find one size 12 dress,that may or may not be worth looking at, just because they are all shades of purple.

I don’t really look in shops organised like this.

Bringbackthestripes Sat 23-Mar-19 18:34:00

Now all our local charity shops have stopped hanging by size I no longer bother going. It’s a right PITA looking through a 50 items trying to find one size rather than look through a dozen size 12’s to see if there is an item I like. Shame as I used to love finding a bargain.

BackforGood Sat 23-Mar-19 18:40:25

How do we let them know on mass?

Be good if we could. I do say something if I go in to one that has changed, but you always get the answer about 'policy'.

Ragwort Sat 23-Mar-19 18:43:47

These comments are very interesting, I manage a charity shop & we were directed to re-merchandise by colour blocking, I did this & our sales actually went down so went back to doing it by size. I agree that colour blocking looks much nicer but obviously sales results are more important.

What are other pet hates about charity shops? Do you like personal service? I always offer to help customers look for things or point out something our regulars might like, & I always try to offer to hang clothes back after customers have tried things on. (We are never that busy grin), but I guess that can come over as too pushy sometimes?

windysowindy Sat 23-Mar-19 19:19:46

So that is what they are doing!!!
For the past year I have given up every time because I could not male sense of it!
I shall stick to the one where you have a "coats" department and then the rest by sizes (trousers/ tops/ cardis)

thedisorganisedmum Sat 23-Mar-19 19:34:07

I currently wear clothes from size 8 to 16 - truly!
So a charity shop with various brands arranged by size would be of no use to me at all.

swampytiggaa Sat 23-Mar-19 19:43:12

I work in a very small charity shop that is part of a large chain. Our instruction is to colour block. Because our shop is so tiny my manager argued that it was pointless. I think it was tried for a couple of weeks and takings went down 🙂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »