Talk

Advanced search

To hate colour blocked charity shops

(89 Posts)
Sunny525 Sat 23-Mar-19 17:01:13

I know it looks pretty but who has ever gone into a shop to buy a 'green' not bothered of it's a jumper, t-shirt, cardigan, thick or thin as long as it's green?
AND I have to sort through every colour section in the shop to find a cardigan (for example) and the sizes are all over the place.

I'm sure they think it's a good marketing idea as you have to look through the whole shop but I just give up and don't bother!

AIBU to just want to go in, find the jumper/cardigan section and look through the bit that has my size?

It also makes me furious that they don't apply this ridiculous system to the men's clothing - they can go straight to the shirt section and look at the collar size section that suits them.... do they think lady brains can only shop in pretty colour sections, while men get a sensible system for sorting their clothing angry

keepingbees Sat 23-Mar-19 17:03:18

Yanbu it's ridiculous. I've never bought clothes from our local charity shop that does this, it's too much hassle.

IAmRubbishAtDIY Sat 23-Mar-19 17:03:31

Drives me nuts. What use is a stunning green cardy that I love and is priced at 20p if it's size 12 and I'm size 18?

JUST SORT BY SIZE PLEASE.

PatchworkGirl Sat 23-Mar-19 17:05:06

Yes. I love charity shops and use them a lot but I really, really hate this way of arranging them.

ILoveBray Sat 23-Mar-19 17:06:30

Ahh I think I'll be alone in this, but I prefer it! I only wear a few colours so I prefer going through the colour sections and ignoring the black, red, purple etc.

I get why you don't like it though, I think most people don't.

Sunny525 Sat 23-Mar-19 17:07:18

Hurrah! I thought I was just being miserable!

How do we let them know on mass? I went to my favourite charity shop today and they were mid change to colour blocking, I was so enraged I asked the manager if that's what they were doing, when she said yes I may have ranted slightly and begged her not to ruin my favourite charity shop!

Witchend Sat 23-Mar-19 17:07:21

I've gone in to buy "something green" but that's unusual (theatre costumes)

FuchsiaG Sat 23-Mar-19 17:08:19

Yes! Nothing stands out anymore and it takes too long to look through everything.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sat 23-Mar-19 17:08:20

YES this bugs me all the time!

TeenTimesTwo Sat 23-Mar-19 17:08:45

I know it looks pretty but who has ever gone into a shop to buy a 'green' not bothered of it's a jumper, t-shirt, cardigan, thick or thin as long as it's green?

I used to do this regularly for dress up days for primary school.

Apart from that YANBU, I'd much rather look through all the 18s 16s and pick out the things I like than go round all the colour blocks.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 23-Mar-19 17:10:41

It makes perfect sense in a normal shop where YOU HAVE LOTS OF DIFFERENT SIZES AVAILABLE.

It makes absolutely no fucking sense in a charity shop and I hate it.

I can only buy things that fit so for the love if God just put all the same sized stuff together.

JeNeBaguetteRien Sat 23-Mar-19 17:12:41

It doesn't bother me... It's not like in a regular shop where you'd hope the size 14s will be bigger than the siz 12s. They're different brands so I don't mind having a rummage, and it's not like they will have an identical product in several colours so the arranging by colour is fine by me.

RandomMess Sat 23-Mar-19 17:14:01

Completely bugs me I only want to look at dresses in sizes 10-14...

Azzizam Sat 23-Mar-19 17:14:02

I used to work in one and the management wanted to present boutique style.
In reality it is second hand clothing, often over priced and tatty. I rather shop the Tu range at Sainsburys.

Bibijayne Sat 23-Mar-19 17:16:12

I'm totally with you! Size and type please!

Leftoverdessert Sat 23-Mar-19 17:18:22

This really bothers me too! I have some really good charity shops near me and most sort by item type but there is one which does it by colour and I never go in there, too much bother. I don't see the point in it at all.

LilQueenie Sat 23-Mar-19 17:18:59

I agree but its not as bad as working there and having to sort it. One woman I worked with had her own 'system'. Basically she hated help and would redo it all anyway. First of all it was colour co-ordinated. Then each colour went in size sequence on the rail BUT the most annoying thing was short sleeve seperated from long sleeve. Evening dresses seperate from day dresses, casual coats separate from dressy ones. It went on and on. blouse and shirts. is there even a difference? It had me cracking up. It even broke out arguments!

SarahAndQuack Sat 23-Mar-19 17:20:12

Oh, god yes.

Many years ago I used to volunteer in a charity shop (and I'd have given up on it long before I did if I hadn't been desperate for any kind of experience to put on my CV!). The manager made us do this, but then he'd come along and 'correct' your shelf, explaining patronising that this is lime green and that is darker than mint green. hmm

Total wanker.

It looks shit, too. Colours that are roughly the same but not the same hurt my eyes.

CrazyOldBagLady Sat 23-Mar-19 17:21:28

I'm with everyone else on this, makes no sense and is too much hassle. I just don't bother looking through the clothes as I can't be bothered

prettybird Sat 23-Mar-19 17:28:36

I was thinking just this when I was looking through the prettily arranged by colour clothes in a couple of Retro/2nd hand shops I was looking in this week. I'm sure there are some lovely dresses in them but I'll never find them as it's too much hassle.

To be fair, I tend to only go in to see what cashmere jumpers they have (a great way to get them without paying cashmere prices), but I was musing that there are surely good value dresses if I were prepared to go through them.

CheeseCakeSunflowers Sat 23-Mar-19 17:29:01

I'm with you on this one, it drives me mad.

TapasForTwo Sat 23-Mar-19 17:29:10

"Ahh I think I'll be alone in this, but I prefer it! I only wear a few colours so I prefer going through the colour sections and ignoring the black, red, purple etc."

I prefer it as well. Since having my colours done I don't want to spend ages rummaging through clothes in colours I am not interested in.

SeventhWave Sat 23-Mar-19 17:29:16

You think that's bad - there's a charity shop near me that sorts their CDs by spine colour. Hundreds and hundreds of them - Daniel O'Donnell rubbing shoulders with Black Sabbath, the Spice Girls and Beethoven.

labazsisgoingmad Sat 23-Mar-19 17:36:26

in the shop i run two rails are trousers two are skirts two are dresses and a nice big double rail of tops knitwear and blouses oh and one of lingerie and night wear no colour blocking i dont put in size for simple reason it gets mixed up and also a lot of clothes dont have sizes in often have been cut out of them. however if there is a size it will be clearly written on the label i put on it and on coat hanger with be a size tag its a 2nd hand charity shop not marks and spencers so people like to have a look see what they can find as everyone loves a bargain. oh yes prettybird we have cashmere lambswool all sorts of designer labels and budget specials plus a bargain pound rail when things have been in the shop too long

SileneOliveira Sat 23-Mar-19 17:36:54

I volunteer in a charity shop and although I see where you're coming from on the colour thing the other way would be a nightmare too.

We are not normal shops with normal levels of stock. Case in point - I sorted three full bin bags of amazing donations, all in size 6 or size 8. I don;t think I found anything bigger than a size 14 all day. Next shift, it might be all size 18 or 20. If we arranged by size, we'd be constantly arranging and rearranging and depending on the donations we've had that day one section would be empty and the other sections full. It's much easier to lift a dozen pink things to stick with the purples, or condense the yellows into the beiges to account for stock levels.

Also, we all know how much sizes can very between brands. If we sorted by size we'd be getting constant complaints that the size 14 marks and spencer skirt was twice the size of the size 14 one from topshop. Vintage clothing is considerably smaller than 2019 clothing. We don't have the resources to measure everything by waist or chest size.

And from a marketing point of view, it looks much nicer and less like a jumble sale.

We do have little plastic cubes on the hangers to let people see the number.

americandream Sat 23-Mar-19 17:40:07

Agree. Very annoying.

thedisorganisedmum Sat 23-Mar-19 17:42:41

I much prefer that - I only buy certain colours and I hate rummaging among tens of random items to find a decent one.

There are many colours I would never buy in a million years, so the colour blocked is a fantastic time saver. I hate jumble sale anyway. Many of the independent non-charity shops around here are colour coordinated too, looks better.

bookmum08 Sat 23-Mar-19 17:43:16

Some do this with books too. I don't want to have to stand and read the spines of 200 + books to see if they happen to have the Anthony Horowitz book I am after. I want to look under H for Horowitz.

diddl Sat 23-Mar-19 17:44:29

I don't care how it's arranged tbh.

But then the shops I'm in are usually small enough to flick through all sections & not take long.

FindPrimeLorca Sat 23-Mar-19 17:45:53

There are three charity shops near me. I buy far more from the two shops that sort by colour than the one that sorts by size - it just looks so off putting. It’s only the tops and dresses than get colour blocked, and I might buy any size between 8 and 14, which is about 80% of their stock - so I’ve saved much more time by not looking at the red/orange/yellow/white colour areas than I lost by having to flip past a few 6s and 16s.

SileneOliveira Sat 23-Mar-19 17:46:23

Some do this with books too

We don't arrange books by colour - what a nightmare! Fiction is grouped into crime fiction and other fiction, then alphabetically by author surname. Non fiction is by subject and randomly within that category.

(Unless the D of E kids have been in, where you're likely to find "horrible histories" filed under WW2, and The Great Gatsby under autobiographies).

Sunonthepatio Sat 23-Mar-19 17:47:06

I really prefer it when they do.

bookmum08 Sat 23-Mar-19 17:48:15

The other thing that annoy me is the shops that sort the adult clothes into some sort of order and have books in A-Z but then the children's stuff is all dumped together whether it's a new born babygrow or a tshirt for a 12 year old or a picture book or a YA novel all dumped in the same basket.

evilharpy Sat 23-Mar-19 17:48:43

I much prefer things sorted by colour. I can wear an 8, 10 or 12 depending on shop but I would probably never buy something red, purple or pink - I tend to stick to neutrals. So it’s much easier to just go to the colours I like and scan across several sizes.

SadOtter Sat 23-Mar-19 17:51:56

I like it but as my main reason I ever visit charity shops is to find things for dress up days, either for me or the DC, I do actually walk into the shop thinking right what have they got in this colour?

minniemoll Sat 23-Mar-19 17:53:55

I hate colour blocking! I want to look at all the size 16 tops at once, not root round six different sections looking at one or two in each. I just walk out of the colour blocked shops.

Shakirasma Sat 23-Mar-19 17:57:38

YANBU I have often thought about starting a similar thread. There are 3 charity shops in my town but i just cant face the one that does this, too much like hard work. If i want a blouse i need to be able to look at a rack of blouses, preferably in size order. I dont have the time or energy to traipse round the whole shop looking at every item on every rack to see if theyve got a nice blouse in my size. Colour is the last priority after item type and size.

HelloDarlin Sat 23-Mar-19 18:07:45

I’d never seen it done this way until a recent trip to London. The charity shops looked really smart & boutique style. I liked shopping by colour, because I just selected my size from a nice selection.
With size, I often flick through everything & pick something “just okay” because it’s my size. Whereas the nice colour shops felt more like a proper shopping experience.

Connieston Sat 23-Mar-19 18:10:53

They're competing with all the other shops, and sorting by colour will at least be eye-catching.

BackforGood Sat 23-Mar-19 18:15:57

This really bugs me too. I generally now don't go in them if they have moved to this ridiculous system.

For those posters who say they are, for example, looking for something green, if you stand by a rack of blouses that are in size order, then you can see the green ones instantly. If all the 'green' garments are on a single rail, you have to check each garment to see if it will fit you. So that doesn't make it any quicker for anyone looking for a particular colour - and I do think you would generally be in a minority.

londonrach Sat 23-Mar-19 18:16:43

Yes totally with you but i dont buy clothes from charity shops now as cant afford them. Its cheaper new

prettybird Sat 23-Mar-19 18:16:42

The range of sizing across brands (and time periods with the current propensity for vanity sizing hmm) is a fair point. I hadn't thought of that.

Orangeday Sat 23-Mar-19 18:19:58

YANBU. I don’t even bother looking if I see a shop arranged this way.

Shocksandboooos Sat 23-Mar-19 18:26:26

Completely agree. I want all of the size 10 dresses together next to the size 12 dresses.
I don’t want to have to rummage through a pair of size 18 jeans, a size 6 jumper and 4 size 10 shirts to find one size 12 dress,that may or may not be worth looking at, just because they are all shades of purple.

I don’t really look in shops organised like this.

Bringbackthestripes Sat 23-Mar-19 18:34:00

Now all our local charity shops have stopped hanging by size I no longer bother going. It’s a right PITA looking through a 50 items trying to find one size rather than look through a dozen size 12’s to see if there is an item I like. Shame as I used to love finding a bargain.

BackforGood Sat 23-Mar-19 18:40:25

How do we let them know on mass?

Be good if we could. I do say something if I go in to one that has changed, but you always get the answer about 'policy'.

Ragwort Sat 23-Mar-19 18:43:47

These comments are very interesting, I manage a charity shop & we were directed to re-merchandise by colour blocking, I did this & our sales actually went down so went back to doing it by size. I agree that colour blocking looks much nicer but obviously sales results are more important.

What are other pet hates about charity shops? Do you like personal service? I always offer to help customers look for things or point out something our regulars might like, & I always try to offer to hang clothes back after customers have tried things on. (We are never that busy grin), but I guess that can come over as too pushy sometimes?

windysowindy Sat 23-Mar-19 19:19:46

So that is what they are doing!!!
For the past year I have given up every time because I could not male sense of it!
I shall stick to the one where you have a "coats" department and then the rest by sizes (trousers/ tops/ cardis)

thedisorganisedmum Sat 23-Mar-19 19:34:07

I currently wear clothes from size 8 to 16 - truly!
So a charity shop with various brands arranged by size would be of no use to me at all.

swampytiggaa Sat 23-Mar-19 19:43:12

I work in a very small charity shop that is part of a large chain. Our instruction is to colour block. Because our shop is so tiny my manager argued that it was pointless. I think it was tried for a couple of weeks and takings went down 🙂

dancinfeet Sat 23-Mar-19 20:39:00

I hate the colour blocking thing!! I often scour the local charity shops for costume items for my musical theatre classes, and I have to say that the only time I have ever found it helpful having the clothes sorted by colour was when we did a production of The Wizard Of Oz and I wanted lots of green clothing for the people in the Land Of Oz. It was a complete headache this time around (for our most recent performance) when I was on the lookout for waistcoats to kit out chimney sweeps (for Mary Poppins) and I had to rummage through rails of random skirts, blouses, jackets looking for the elusive waistcoat that may be hidden amongst them. Multiply that by needing them for fifteen students and that equates to an awful lot of rummaging!! Its so much easier to pop over to the mens / ladies wear and find all of the jackets and waistcoats together, and hung in size order, and it makes it much more likely that I will find exactly what I am looking for and actually walk out having made a purchase. I did give up in a few shops, combine the colour coordinated thing with a tiny shop on a busy day and I will lose patience and leave.

Same if I am looking for something for myself - I usually go in knowing I'm looking for a top or trousers, so I honestly don't want to to sift through all the other stuff too, usually I will end up not bothering to look properly.

ShadowMane Sat 23-Mar-19 20:42:06

I hate it, and wont shop in any of the charity shops that do it

My first criteria is "will it fit"
My second creteria is "what does it look like"

I'm not going to go to #2 if #1 doesnt happen

bridgetreilly Sat 23-Mar-19 20:43:33

Me. I much prefer to shop by colour. If it's sorted by size, I have to sort through all the colours I would never buy. If it's sorted by colour, I get to see all the clothes I might be interested in and also decide whether the number on the label is relevant to me or not (because sizing is bonkers and anything from a 14 to a 20 stands a chance).

Shocksandboooos Sat 23-Mar-19 20:44:28

Ragwort
My favourite charity shop just has a nice, welcoming feel to it. There are a couple of little chairs near the kids books and they are welcome to sit and look at books, unlike the other cs that I overheard telling a little boy
‘This is not a library’ because he was sitting in the floor reading a book to himself. sad

It’s quite small so I think that they are quite selective about what they put out. Nothing is washed out or damaged.
But what there is out is sensibly priced. I don’t mind paying for good quality in good condition but it’s a bit off to be asked for £4 for a stretched and faded primark vest.

They are also lovely when you take in donations and will offer to help from the car or at least express regret if they can’t help. I don’t expect to be treated like a godess for taking in a bag of clothes but some shops make you feel like and inconvenience when you take things in. A simple thank you is welcome.

A quirky window always attracts me too.

ShadowMane Sat 23-Mar-19 20:46:46

but its easier to see from the outside what the colour is, but you cant tell by looking on the hanger what size something is?

MikeUniformMike Sat 23-Mar-19 20:49:49

I hate the colour blocking. Hanging by type of garment and by size is much better. I'd be quite unlikely to rummage in a shop that colour blocks and I am a keen CS shopper.

Wowzel Sat 23-Mar-19 20:50:31

I only like wearing black so I think it is great. I can see why others wouldn't like it though

Seeingadistance Sat 23-Mar-19 20:52:24

I like it. There are quite a few colours I would never wear, so I can simply ignore those rails. Charity shops are pretty small anyway, so it's not as if there's loads of stock to rummage through.

Dakiara Sat 23-Mar-19 20:54:19

I dislike colour blocking immensely. Especially when it's done in shades too so there's my size in dark blue, four items, then another in my size in a slightly different blue and so on for the whole shop. It's time consuming looking and means I get around less shops overall, plus I cannot be bothered to check out the sizes either side of my usual, just incase they were to fit. I shop more in ones that group by size now.

(As it was asked, I dislike when things are priced purely on label but not condition, such as Clarks boots in their box for £40, but badly scuffed all along the edges and top. Though I know that they have to get the most they can for their donations, the condition of the items is often poor for the prices they want. Also, I'm not keen if there are shelves of imported new tat instead of second hand donations like in the Marie Stopes and BHF shops near me.)

KateMadikane Sat 23-Mar-19 21:00:59

I like it sorted by colour as long as it’s just generally blue, green etc and then by size within that. Like a pp I have a few favourite colours (green, jade, turquoise) so I can just quickly look at those, find nothing in my size and move on to the books!

Giraffey1 Sat 23-Mar-19 21:03:14

I don’t mind if they sort by colour block as long as they also sort by size. Really annoys me when they don’t.

donaldducksgranonceremoved Sat 23-Mar-19 21:05:48

They've done this with books in one near to me.

Red coloured books

Green coloured books

Etc...

Really weird to jumble the topics fiction/non fiction/how to etc in favour of colour of spine

It's catching unfortunately

junebirthdaygirl Sat 23-Mar-19 21:06:13

I love it sorted by colour. I know the colours l like: red/ bright pink and l always look through the black stuff. I can wear 12 to 16 depending on what it is. It think all the colours together make it look tempting.

IAmNotAWitch Sat 23-Mar-19 21:09:34

I once worked in a law firm where the office junior was asked to tidy up the books in the library (back when we still had them) because lazy lawyers had been putting them back wherever.

She did them by colour...which was kind of OK because of course each set matched. But she only did colour, no alphabetical sorting at all...it did look nice though.

Leeds2 Sat 23-Mar-19 21:10:17

I don't know a single charity shop that does this! I go in lots of them, frequently, to buy books so maybe I have just not noticed as I don't look at the clothes. I will, next time!
Fwiw, it would annoy me, and put me off buying anything.

Totopoly Sat 23-Mar-19 21:12:45

OP, you said it for me!

Princess1066 Sat 23-Mar-19 21:15:01

I think YABU - it's so much easier to see things IMO grin

ShellieEllie Sat 23-Mar-19 21:18:55

I absolutely detest it too. I've not bought a thing in our local Cancer Research and local Hospice shops since they've done this sadly. I'm limited for time in my lunch hour and don't want to spend it going through every single colourway to find something I might want - by size and type is definitely the only way. I certainly don't go into a charity shop thinking 'I really need a blue item of clothing today'.

MightyAtlantic Sat 23-Mar-19 21:19:24

I also dislike charity shops that arrange clothes by colour. But not as much as I dislike the charity bookshop near my parents' house that splits its fiction section into books by men and book's by women. In 2019. hmm

MightyAtlantic Sat 23-Mar-19 21:21:38

books of course, the rogue apostrophe does not feature in the shop signage! wink

JaceLancs Sat 23-Mar-19 21:24:47

My favourite charity shops are British heart foundation purely because they sort by type of garment then by size
Local hospice also does the same
Any shop that colour blocks I lose the will to live and just check out the bric a brac
Interesting how others disagree
I go into charity shops looking for something specific eg at moment am looking for shoes/sandals summer dresses and lightweight coats or jackets
I’m definitely not looking for something of a specific colour!!!

Afineexample Sat 23-Mar-19 21:26:59

My local BHF sort by size and it's HEAVEN.
No great finds only to find they are 4 sizes out!

asparalite Sat 23-Mar-19 21:29:34

There are some charity shops, Oxfam I think mainly,where not only are women's clothes colour blocked but the hangers have no size cubes making it even more tedious to find things!

Lovestonap Sat 23-Mar-19 21:34:56

Here here op. I shop almost exclusively in charity shops for my clothes and colour blocking is such a weird way of doing it!

I'm interested in people who only wear one or two colours though, have you really got wardrobes all full of one colour garments?! 😁

Except the all-black thing, I get that.

Off subject but I also hate the high prices charged in some shops (bhf I'm looking at you). Its like they've never heard of fast fashion and price the asda stuff the same as the Next stuff just because it's the same garment type.

I feel better to have got that off my chest because I would feel like a miserable skinflint voicing it in real life

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Sat 23-Mar-19 21:35:13

oh i thought i was the only one who didnt like this...I like to look at coats in the winter, or summer dresses, fancy frocks .... three swishes and off we trot if nothing suits

but all this colour malarkey...NO!

looking at every bloody hanger to see what it is, and then what blasted size it is, where's the label?? that suede handkerchief is never a size 18 miniskirt, no it's a top shop small on an 18 hanger....oh we don't have enough of the right hangers....is it suede you are looking for?? gloves? No ta, I want a nice frock.

Lovestonap Sat 23-Mar-19 21:35:38

* I meant of course hear hear

Supersimpkin Sat 23-Mar-19 21:37:57

Colour blocking only looks good with colours; black stuff, which normally sells first, crawls to the black rail to die. As do white and grey.

I can't be arsed if stock is just sorted by colour. The 'posh' chain of London hospice shops do this now and it's a bore. It also highlights how out of date the colours and prints of the stock are. Fuschia pink trousers anyone? Lime green batty riders?

Size 16 is rare enough as it is without setting the customer off on a search for a needle in a haystack.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Sat 23-Mar-19 21:40:40

I don’t think they should be sorted by colour or size - they should be sorted by garment type. Tops, knitwear, skirts, dresses, trousers, jeans, outerwear.

Still18atheart Sat 23-Mar-19 21:41:46

Yanbu in general. However I quite like it when you go in for a fancy dress outfit and have a certain thing in mind beeline to the colour not there nm try the next shop. This is especially the case with tweed or similar

GG20 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:02:20

I prefer it. Apart from the fact that sizes vary wildly between brands (and even within brands), quite often sizes will be mis-categorised (e.g. a US 10 will be with the UK 10s). I'd rather just look at stuff in the colours I like, and decide whether it fits regardless of what the label says.

Feduppluckingmychinhairs Sat 23-Mar-19 22:07:12

The two best charity shops I frequent are sorted by size, and I purposely avoid the ones sorted by colour. I wish someone would show them this thread

JaceLancs Sat 23-Mar-19 23:37:39

Please will someone tell the staff of charity shops that George, atmosphere and TU are not famous designers!
And breathe.......

FyiYolo Sun 24-Mar-19 07:15:53

I control my wardrobe with an iron fist! Any new item has to go with pretty much every other one I own. I know exactly what colour I want when I go shopping. So, I like colour blocking.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 24-Mar-19 08:11:48

I don't go in wanting say a red top but l know the colours that suit me so l not going near beige/ brown etc. I go into charity shops for a lucky dip so know l will only buy something that pops out at me.
I have an amazing selection of jackets from charity shops all in jewel colours that suit my colouring. Lift a whole outfit. So its colour blocking for me.

imsorryiasked Sun 24-Mar-19 08:34:35

One of my local ones not only sorts by colour but puts the hangers on the rail with the size cube on the "inside" so you can't even immediately see what size stuff is.
I peer in the window occasionally to see if they've come to their senses but don't go in any more.

SileneOliveira Sun 24-Mar-19 08:46:56

Please will someone tell the staff of charity shops that George, atmosphere and TU are not famous designers

Two points. Mostly volunteers. Not "staff". Some volunteers are really interested in fashion and know their labels. Other volunteers don't know their Primark from their Prada. An overworked manager can't check everything, mistakes happen.

Most of the big charities have lots of management information available - we get sales broken down by department and lots of stats about how that compares to last week/month/year. If managers spotted that switching to colour blocking decreased sales, they would swap back. Because it's all about maximising sales. It obviously doesn't have that much of an impact on sales overall.

GreenOliveOrBlackOlive Sun 24-Mar-19 09:10:05

The only possible way to sort clothes is in sizes and into types ie skirts, dresses cardigans etc. Colour blocks are crazy.

However I can forgive charity shops their quirkiness and strange foibles. Finding a Tu item on the ‘designer’ rail is not a big deal to me. As has been said, volunteers are staffing them.

oldfatgreycat Sun 24-Mar-19 09:11:43

Yes I agree and all the ones round here do it. I’m afraid I just can’t be bothered with it.

Sunny525 Sun 24-Mar-19 14:57:30

I understand people only choosing to wear a few colours but even then do they go in purely to browse and not to look for a category of clothing?

I want a red cardigan at the moment but it's much quicker to go to the jumper/cardigan rail and look for a red one in my size section (and the size above and below - which are adjacent) than to sort through every red/redish/pinky-red garment be it long sleeve, short sleeve, thick, thin, wool or cotton...
and surely colour matched people (who I envy as I don't understand how it works or if I'm warm or cool skin tone etc) have to still find the 'right' green? forest green, lime green etc are all different so you don't suit all greens?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »