Talk

Advanced search

What do you put in your childrens lunch boxes?

(38 Posts)
Pinkbutton85 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:48:13

I have an almost 4 year old and a 5.5 year old. I do the same rotation of lunches when they're not having school dinners.

Looking for ideas!

What do you put in your childrens lunches?

pinkhorse Sat 23-Mar-19 09:51:48

I put in baby corn, seafood sticks, grated cheese, pepper sticks, boiled eggs as well as the standard ham sandwich!

FullOfJellyBeans Sat 23-Mar-19 09:54:59

Tortilini pasta salad.
Crackers and cheese.
Banana muffins.
Wraps.
Vegetable pizza roll ups.
Fruit.
Banana/ strawberry pancakes with extra fruit.
Veg sticks and dip.

Kim82 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:58:36

For my 4 year old I pick from these:

Ham or chicken sandwich/wrap/roll
Mini sausages
Sausage roll
Tuna pasta
Crackers
Apple/banana/orange/strawberries/grapes/melon
Carrot sticks/cucumber
Breadsticks
Crisps
Cereal bar
Raisins
Jelly
Fruit roll up
Water/fresh orange

She’s dairy free and a fussy bugger so if I changed from this list she wouldn’t eat it.

PodgeBod Sat 23-Mar-19 09:59:59

My 4 year old has a wrap or a sandwich, she likes ham and cheese and tomato and cucumber. A pot of cherry tomatoes and cucumber, a frube and a fruit. Sometimes she has tomato pasta instead. If the nursery menu has jelly then I give her a pot of jelly because it's her favourite, or sometimes a little pack of mini oreos.

Thurmanmurman Sat 23-Mar-19 10:09:26

sandwich, carrot/cucumber sticks with mini houmous pot, bag of crisps, fruit, juice carton and a chocolate wafer bar. She doesn’t usually eat it all though!

livingthegoodlife Sat 23-Mar-19 10:13:55

2 quarters of a ham/cheese/egg sandwich, slices of cucumber, a tiny pot of raisins, chopped apple/fruit

PinkGinFreak Sat 23-Mar-19 10:19:13

A little flask of soup, ham sandwiches, yoghurt and fruit (chopped melon/strawberries in a tub) or cereal chewy bar

Merryoldgoat Sat 23-Mar-19 10:21:08

Jam sandwich, crisps, yoghurt.

My DS is autistic. The fact he eats anything at lunch time is a bit of a miracle, frankly.

Cheerybigbottom Sat 23-Mar-19 10:29:15

My ds is 7 and he likes :

Sandwiches/rolls/wraps

Cut up chicken breast/ham chunks or whatever may be left from a bit of meat I've made for tea

Veg-Lidl's 'snack' cucumbers (just small extra crunchy cucumbers, regular size ones go too mushy he says) or carrot sticks, baby corn or halved cherry tomatoes, sliced celery etc

Fruit- a tangerine, strawberries with top cut off, pineapple chunks, an apple, sometimes raisins or the dried fruit & nut 'shot' packs which might have mini white choc or milk choc chunks

Yoghurt pouches (twist top only)

Mini packs of almonds or cashews

Home made flapjack

Mini pack of biscuits sometimes like mini party rings

Soreen lunch box loaves (apple/original/banana)

Pain au chocolat

Sometimes cocktail sausages or slices of pizza

He'd never eat a boiled egg or rice or pasta salads or have dips as he also is autistic and likes non messy/wet foods

Oh he does like a wee rice pudding pot sometimes though that's a recent development!

user1474894224 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:34:47

This week my kids got 2 slices of cold pizza each. (They think this is a massive treat.) And before the health police shout it's too full of salt, fat etc Pizza is on the school lunch menu once a week too....

Normally a wrap - falafal and houmus, or plain hounous, or chicken, or ham - with carrots or peppers
Something sweet or savory - biscuit, cake, crisps
Fruit - apple, banana, grapes etc
Occasionally one more thing - yoghurt or similar

IHeartKingThistle Sat 23-Mar-19 10:44:02

These threads are always full of people who do amazing lunches - I'm just here to balance it out:

Chicken wrap
Babybel
Frube
2 pieces of fruit
Drink

AllTheUserNamesAreTaken Sat 23-Mar-19 10:57:03

DS5 only has packed lunch on a school trip or at holiday club so it’s probably a bit more ‘treaty’ than if it was his everyday school lunch.

He has:
sandwich or wrap - usually ham or chicken Some cherry toms, pepper, and cucumber
Maybe a couple of pieces of cheese
Always a small bag of crisps (because....who doesn’t love crisps with a sandwich!)
Some plain yoghurt with honey and berries
Always an apple (because he’s obsessed with the things!)
A small chocolate treat - often just 2 celebrations or similar out of his treat bag but he loves finding a little treat in his packed lunch
Bottle of water

LucyInTheSkyy Sat 23-Mar-19 10:57:23

Ham bagel
Oatbar
Yogurt
Fruit
Sometimes a muffin or piece of cake

hazeyjane Sat 23-Mar-19 11:00:59

Dds (11 and 12) get
Wrap/sandwich/bagel/pasta/sausage roll + fruit and veg in a pot + yoghurt/banana bread/crisps.

Ds (8) gets breadsticks and 2 dairylea + a pouch yoghurt (every.single.day)

ThereIsIron Sat 23-Mar-19 11:06:22

Alternate between sandwich or brioche
Chocolate biscuit
Pepperami/Cheese String/grapes/Sour Bear

flirtygirl Sat 23-Mar-19 11:07:53

Leftover happy meal, can of Pepsi max, a Yoghurt, bread sticks and a chocolate bar.

flirtygirl Sat 23-Mar-19 11:09:12

Sometimes easy peelers and a cheese sandwich. Or plain wrap with no filling and chicken nuggets.

LuvSmallDogs Sat 23-Mar-19 11:50:32

For my 5yo, a sandwich as main. Then a few things from this list:

Cheese
Frube
Cucumber
Carrot sticks
Raisins
Dry mango
Half pack of crisps
Mini breadsticks.

LuvSmallDogs Sat 23-Mar-19 11:51:44

Oh and those fruit yo-yos/dry fruit bars make the odd appearance too.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 23-Mar-19 12:03:14

Various things. We normally start the food shop (online) on a Saturday & they tell me what sort of lunches they fancy that week. 4 (from 9 down to almost 4) of them have packed lunches plus DH. Some things they like are:
Pasta salad (this is a fairly regular evening meal so I just make extra)
DIY wraps, send in wrap then some shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced cucumber, either cheese, ham or chicken & a small pot of mayo or salad cream & a plastic knife (I do premake the 3yo but the older 3 don’t like it if it goes soggy, hence the diy)
Egg & cress rolls
“Homemade” lunchables, so crackers, cheese, deli meat.
A sandwich. They like ham & cucumber or cheese & tomato or pickle

I find different bread type helps keep lunches interesting to them without having to change too much else.

Depending what they have I’ll also put in
Some crisps (I usually spilt 2 packs between the 4 of them)
Cocktail sausages
Cherry toms
Cucumber sticks
Carrot sticks
Sliced pepper

They also have a piece or fruit & yoghurt or a small cake.

Contraceptionismyfriend Sat 23-Mar-19 12:13:38

Cucumber sand which, cut up grapes, cut up strawberries, and then something like a goodies bar or Pepparmi

paranoiamumma Sat 23-Mar-19 12:39:12

My 5year old has

Ham sandwich or cheese and crackers

Grapes and satsuma peeled

Apple or banana

Bag of baked crisp

Yoghurt

And sometime cocktail sausages

Mmmhmmokdear Sat 23-Mar-19 12:42:35

My DC have:
A "main" - sandwich, wrap, savoury croissant, pasta, roll, slice of pizza etc.
A savoury - cucumber, carrots, mini scotch eggs, cheese cubes / babybel etc, cocktail sausages, olives, crackers etc
A fruit - they like tubs of grapes, blueberries, orange segments and of course an apple.
A yoghurt - non negotiable for either of them!

Mmmhmmokdear Sat 23-Mar-19 12:44:19

I do put in an extra as well if they're at after school activities, like a cereal bar or mini cheddars or something. DC1 likes something chocolatey on a Friday too, like a blue riband, kit kat, animal biscuits etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »