Talk

Advanced search

To ask for some nice Irish villages within 1.5 hours of Cork to live?

(19 Posts)
KoiLegacy Sat 23-Mar-19 09:16:50

As title really. DH has been offered a job, we need to be within 1.5 hours of Cork ideally.

I like rural, but preferably with a pub and shop and with public transport links for DC! No idea where to start really! Any help gratefully received!

AliDran Sat 23-Mar-19 09:33:22

Lismore co. Waterford - about an hour away from cork? Not sure about the transport links if any though.

LaurieMarlow Sat 23-Mar-19 09:35:38

Kinsale. Obvs. It’s fabulous.

Though good luck with the public transport links. Not a strength in Ireland.

Lilifer Sat 23-Mar-19 09:37:30

Check out Kinsale, beautiful foodie destination

Clonakilty - fab schools and amazing beaches nearby

Baltimore - indescribably beautiful with good schools in the area and lovely people

DirtyNell Sat 23-Mar-19 09:38:58

I think you should trouble yourself to add in a few more details OP. Age of kids, school needs, commute to Cork everyday, or occasionally? Budget for house? Are you moving within Ireland?

TheSandgroper Sat 23-Mar-19 09:40:19

Is that a motorway hour or Irish country road driving? Viamichelin.com will be your friend here. If it’s country driving, you probably need to look closer than you think.

MorningsEleven Sat 23-Mar-19 09:47:48

I'd move to Baltimore purely for the name and I'd sing the Hairspray opening song a lot.

TheSandgroper Sat 23-Mar-19 09:52:15

Kinsale is a certaintly a great place to live and well used to people moving in from elsewhere.

KoiLegacy Sat 23-Mar-19 09:53:36

Sorry, both DC at university in the U.K. so don’t need to worry about schools etc. But they’ll be spending the holidays with us so if there was public transport to a town with amenities, cinemas, shops etc that would b good as I can’t always guarantee I’ll be about to ferry them around and DH will be working.

cunningartificer Sat 23-Mar-19 10:00:27

Youghal! Lovely seaside town with medieval walls at mouth of river black water. 30 miles from cork with a good road.

Youngandfree Sat 23-Mar-19 10:00:29

What @TheSandgroper said! Where are you moving from?? Roads are not like in the Uk. You can be what you think is an hour and a half away but in rush hour it can become substantially more. Country roads are different from national roads. Do you want to stay in county cork or go to next counties?? If so Waterford may be an option. Lismore, Ardmore, dungarvan and surrounding areas. If you want to stay in cork then perhaps cobh , Middleton, kinsale, monkstown etc

There are so many more options but you need to think of what side of the city you need to get to, schools? Some areas are more expensive than others, so housing etc what do you need in the village? Shop, post office, pub/restaurant, school, church etc These things are not a given in all villages. How often do you want to get in the car??My village has no shop for example, village further along from us has no pub or shop.

Youngandfree Sat 23-Mar-19 10:03:52

@KoiLegacy buses are not the same here in Ireland, unless the town or village you live in is on the main bus route then there may not be one 😬🤣 no bus from any village near me to the nearest town. But peripheral villages and towns like Middleton,youghal they are all on the Waterford to cork bus route. Cobh has buses and a train link to cork city. Kinsale has a bus link and is close to the airport.

maras2 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:09:32

Definitely Kinsale if you can afford it.
Balinspittle is lovely and has a statue of Our Lady that moves (apparently) smile

Busybusybust Sat 23-Mar-19 10:11:26

Crookhaven. Fabulous little fishing village right on the south west tip. Absolute heaven.

EstrellaDamn Sat 23-Mar-19 10:16:21

THIS THREAD IS MAKING ME WANT TO MOVE TO IRELAND grin

learieonthewildmoor Sat 23-Mar-19 10:31:02

Killeagh. Lovely little village

Procrastination4 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:41:15

Not the “prettiest” of villages to drive through as the church and the castle are down side roads unfortunately so no nice “focal” point to the village (though it has grown hugely in the past number of years) but has great facilities and a community spirit that is fantastic besides being a few minutes drive to Fota Wildlife Park, about 12km from Cork city (with regular train service), a five minute drive to Midleton (wouldn’t live there though born there, as it doesn’t have the same sense of community) and within easy reach of nice beaches too, as well as some lovely walks in East Cork.

Procrastination4 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:43:09

Oh, and is just two or three mins drive from some nice places to get lunch/dinner so it’s tempting to do that rather than being organized re. meal planning at times, when there’s only two of yougrin

Procrastination4 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:45:25

4 pubs, 2 shops (and an Aldi that everyone uses for convenience, regardless of income!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »