Talk

Advanced search

To risk using my car with engine management light on

(67 Posts)
Damonlufc88 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:12:21

Got the orange light last night as I was just pulling home from work at 9pm. Its been a little loud and juddering for a couple of days now. MOT and service is booked for Tuesday anyway. My ASD son has his swimming class today 11 miles away, do l risk the car as have no plans to use it until I take it the garage Tuesday.

RevealTheLegend Sat 23-Mar-19 10:37:37

The question to ask yourself is how would your ASD son cope if the car broke down while they were in it.

Would he be able to cope with waiting for recovery and traveling home in a different vehicle?

Some might find that a thrilling adventure others might find it terrifying.

nometal Sat 23-Mar-19 10:30:56

"but I am in the RAC and don't fear breaking down"

So am I. Breaking down, even with breakdown cover, can be a real pain in the bum. Last time broke down was in Heidelberg and it added four days to my journey home.

AnyFucker Sat 23-Mar-19 10:30:07

My engine warning light has been on for 2 years

badlydrawnperson Sat 23-Mar-19 10:28:19

www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/155372/engine-management-light-top-5-causes-of-amber-engine-warning-light

badlydrawnperson Sat 23-Mar-19 10:25:43

I would definitely risk it - but I am in the RAC and don't fear breaking down.

BritInUS1 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:23:37

Don’t drive it and call breakdown service for advice

SugarMiceInTheRain Sat 23-Mar-19 10:22:21

Mine has been on intermittently for years. Nothing major wrong with the car and it's still running ok. But I'm quite blase about my car as it's 14 years old, with 185,000 miles on the clock so doesn't owe me anything!

FishesaPlenty Sat 23-Mar-19 10:21:37

Sounds like you might need a new coil set, which means you’re likely to stall.

Remarkable conclusion based on absolutely no information! You don't even know whether the car's got a petrol engine.

Could you diagnose this pain I've got as well please?

nometal Sat 23-Mar-19 10:19:17

"It's tricky isn't it? Why don't these fancy electric cars actually tell us what's bothering them rather than just flashing a light?grin"

They do, petrol and diesel too. You need an OBD scanner to communicate with them though.

OP There a many reasons why the lamp will come on. Some serious, some not so. Depending on the car, serious ones tend to put the car in limp mode. In any case, if the light is on, the car will fail its MoT test so you will need to get it looked at.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Sat 23-Mar-19 10:18:47

It's difficult to know, on my old car this happened (juddery too) , I only drove it the mile and a half to the garage, turned out the oil filter had disintegrated and started to go into the oil pump, mechanic said if I'd driven it any further I could've basically ruined the engine

SciFiRules Sat 23-Mar-19 10:14:44

Check the handbook too. There are commonly quite a few orange lights, mine used to put up a service light in orange.

SciFiRules Sat 23-Mar-19 10:12:25

Depends, if it's an older car then I'd probably use it on the grounds that it doesn't matter if the worst happens, if it's newer I'd be a little more careful. An ODB2 reader can be purchased cheaply to give you an indication where the problem lays.

Heratnumber7 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:57:02

It's 11 miles. Get a taxi. Get the bus back if you have more time and want to save money.

sandgrown Sat 23-Mar-19 09:53:08

As PP I would risk It but I have breakdown cover and I drive an old banger that makes lots of noises!

gamerchick Sat 23-Mar-19 09:51:21

I wouldnt risk it OP. On my own, maybe because I pay a canny chunk of change in breakdown cover. But not with my ASD son with me. Not worth it.

gamerchick Sat 23-Mar-19 09:49:13

My light flashes up at entirely random moments and slows the engine down, like I can't go over 20 mph and it feels really heavy

I ignored limp mode for a while, it ended up in nearly 4 grand of repairs.

AlpacaLypse Sat 23-Mar-19 09:48:11

It's making funny noises 'a little loud and juddering for a couple of days now'.

I wouldn't take it anywhere other than to the garage.

Singlenotsingle Sat 23-Mar-19 09:46:01

Have you got breakdown cover? If so, I'd go for it. EM lights go on for all sorts of silly reasons, and often they go straight off again.

Whatdoyouknowwhenyouknownowt Sat 23-Mar-19 09:45:37

If it's orange, not flashing, ok to drive a bit. Orange & flashing, not so good, red is don't drive & get immediate attention.

I would say if it's booked in for a service, that's all the garage will be expecting to do. Running diagnostics needs booking in separately, I would think. If you have the AA, they can run a scan. As can anyone with the appropriate software.

obviouslymarvellous Sat 23-Mar-19 09:44:19

I would drive it - I had a Touran that used to do this all the time. There was nothing wrong with it just a faulty sensor. If it is running ok then drive it. How would son be if car broke down I only ask as I have dd with sen. Also the routine will be broken if you don't go will he mind? Also my dh drove his car some 500 miles the other week and engine light came on... it was a faulty sensor again. If it sounds ok then it's up to you

Deadbydaylight Sat 23-Mar-19 09:41:48

For what it's worth, check your oil level. At the very least if you're going to drive it, make sure it has enough oil. It probably doesn't if its due a service. Which could also cause engine failure.

LateEaster Sat 23-Mar-19 09:41:03

It's only a swimming lesson. No!!

Deadbydaylight Sat 23-Mar-19 09:40:05

You're the one that, despite everyone saying don't do it, is still making excuses for why you should.

If you want to take the risk, know the possible consequences. You could at worst case blow up the engine. Meaning new car/engine. If you can afford that then go to the all important swimming lessons. If you can't don't go.

Elloello Sat 23-Mar-19 09:39:29

It's tricky isn't it? Why don't these fancy electric cars actually tell us what's bothering them rather than just flashing a light?grin
My light flashes up at entirely random moments and slows the engine down, like I can't go over 20 mph and it feels really heavy. I was on a multi storey car park once trying to go up a ramp and had to reverse back down as it just had no power to get up the ramp! It's worrying as I could get into a pickle out in the road like that but we just can't find out what's going on with it. It's totally random. Sometimes I think it may be the cold weather but then, hmm, not sure. And if you take it to the garage it appears there's nothing wrong with it and it works fine! What do you do when you can't just afford a new car?

Shelbybear Sat 23-Mar-19 09:37:14

I wouldn't I'd take it straight to the garage.

However, my husband had an engine management light that used to come on sometimes and go off. Garage couldn't find anything wrong with the car and it never broke down.

You say it's been making a noise though too. I wouldn't risk it for a journey 11 miles away with a child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »