Talk

Advanced search

To think we shouldn't have to pay for this?

(64 Posts)
Fazackerley Fri 22-Mar-19 23:13:26

We ordered 500 litres of oil to be delivered. Paid over the phone. The company delivered 900 litres by mistake. They are chasing us for payment for the extra 400 that we didn't order. They are a local company that we know well.

AIBU to refuse to pay, at least for now??

Justaboy Sat 23-Mar-19 15:05:29

Fazackerley that seems not that well run an outfit seeings that your a regular customer there and it was their mistake! Just how much is the extra Oil i reckon its around 200 quid that right?.

If they can't "loose" sort of, that amount for a few months then they must be in very bad straights overall!.

Fazackerley Sat 23-Mar-19 10:17:32

They were apologetic, then tried to pin me down to a payment plan. I got quite shirty then and said this is your mistake, stop trying to involve me. I'll pay when I am ready to pay, in about 5 months. And there is no way I am paying interest and if this ever happens again I am not paying for it at all. They agreed but were defensive and shitty. I'm annoyed with them for making me feel like I'm trying to rip them off!

RighteousSista Sat 23-Mar-19 10:05:51

Is it possible that it was an error and subsequent attempt at cover up by a minion and their boss doesn't know? Might be worth speaking to the owner?

RussellSprout Sat 23-Mar-19 08:53:56

Blag them that you're referring the matter to your solicitor. That usually makes people think twice.

HelloMonday Sat 23-Mar-19 08:36:38

How do they know they delivered 900L not 500L, if they cant measure it to take it back?

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 23-Mar-19 07:55:05

Could they be struggling to keep running hence the weird reaction? Is this actually a bigger deal to them than we think? It might be good to see them face to face so you can properly assess if it's cheeky fuckery or if they are genuinely going to struggle because of it.

Fazackerley Sat 23-Mar-19 07:19:02

I think I'm going to actually go in and speak to them. They were so weird on the phone, as if it was my fault and I was trying to rip them off. It was annoying.

ivykaty44 Sat 23-Mar-19 07:17:46

Tell them you’re storage charges are the same price as the interest they want to charge CFs

Fazackerley Sat 23-Mar-19 07:17:44

Laughing at the interest. What are typical business savings rates - about 1%? So 75p for the 3 months! I’d offer 75p just for their reaction grin
That's what dh said!!

celtiethree Sat 23-Mar-19 07:16:49

Laughing at the interest. What are typical business savings rates - about 1%? So 75p for the 3 months! I’d offer 75p just for their reaction grin

ivykaty44 Sat 23-Mar-19 07:13:33

I’d ask them what measures they’ve put in place to prevent them repeating this mistake?
As it’s your mistake, explain why I should pay early, when I’ve budgeted to pay again in 4 months time, please explain why you believe I should be out of pocket for your mistake?

Give it to them in an email but ask them to explain - hand it back to them... but not the oil

Fazackerley Sat 23-Mar-19 07:09:36

I don't want to fall out with them. I buy a lot there (they supply animal feed).

I will try to think of it as part of my Brexit stockpile grin

WhiteDust Sat 23-Mar-19 07:07:39

How will it affect you if you fall out with them? Will they stop delivering in future? Can you buy elsewhere?

Collaborate Sat 23-Mar-19 07:04:14

What you now have is your supply for the post-Brexit dystopian society. Just imagine how much that will fetch on the black market!

BangingOn Sat 23-Mar-19 07:01:07

We had this exact same scenario and the company agreed we could pay the additional monthly for the next few months. They were very apologetic about it but it was still annoying.

WhenZogateSuperworm Sat 23-Mar-19 06:58:25

Definitely make sure you only pay the lower of the market rate either today, or in 4 months time when you would have normally ordered the oil. The price could be cheaper then!

We had an over delivery by 50L once, they invoices me for the extra. I phoned and said I wouldn’t be paying as I only ordered 500L and they didnt chase me again!

Fazackerley Sat 23-Mar-19 06:53:25

But if it is a small local company who made a mistake, a reasonable solution would be for you to pay for the oil when you would next need oil, with no interest or storage charges made, at the price that is most advantageous to you, ie the cheaper of the price now or when you would normally next order oil
This is what I am going to suggest.

It's annoying because the price of oil fluctuates and is cheaper over the summer.

There's no doubt we ordered 500 but received 900. The order was noted and paid for over the phone with a person, they have a record of it. The delivery note said 900 and I have a remote control oil checker which confirmed 900.

I think it's their attitude which has annoyed me more than anything tbh. I am going to say if this happens again I do not intend to pay for it.

Reddragonqueen Sat 23-Mar-19 06:53:04

I always get oil from the same company, I like them they usually deliver within hours of me calling. I'd pay it to keep the good relationship and not be difficult. I understand it's their mistake but you'd be ordering more at some point. If you're super skint ask them to wait a month and waiver the interest

CheeseCakeSunflowers Sat 23-Mar-19 06:50:20

I would agree with a previous poster that the trading standards department of your local council would be a good place to contact. I did this once when I had a dispute with some carpet fitters and after one call from TS they finally stopped ignoring me and sorted out my lumpy carpet.

StealthPolarBear Sat 23-Mar-19 06:41:50

Was just coming to say if you argue with them make sure there are other suppliers in your area. Whenever we look to switch we find there are very few, even those who advertise as supplying our area.

DroningOn Sat 23-Mar-19 06:33:15

Are you sure you got 900l?

How have they proved this?

How often do you order 500l? Next time order 100 but pay for 500, if you're going to use it, it's only right that you pay for it. Not right that you fork out for it right now as a result of their error.

Your account with them will just have to be in arrears until you're ready for your next delivery.

Failing that tell them to collect and if they refuse then it's not your problem

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 23-Mar-19 04:07:13

If they try to charge interest, tell them you'll be charging them for storage

grin

The extra 400 litres of oil may count as unsolicited goods under consumer protection legislation. Basically they have to collect the extra oil or let you have it for free and it is an offence to demand payment for it.

www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/distance-sales/consumer-contracts-distance-sales#Inertiaselling

But if it is a small local company who made a mistake, a reasonable solution would be for you to pay for the oil when you would next need oil, with no interest or storage charges made, at the price that is most advantageous to you, ie the cheaper of the price now or when you would normally next order oil.

After all, you are currently taking a risk of theft or leakage as you have more oil than you would normally hold.

DimplesToadfoot Sat 23-Mar-19 01:01:09

If they want to charge you interest I'd charge them for the storage of their oil in your tank

trendingorange Sat 23-Mar-19 00:56:33

Very CFs saying they will charge interest!
I don't understand how they can't measure it taking it out?
I only order 500lts at a time as I worry it will get stolen (has been a few times).
How do people keep their oil safe from thieves? (ours is a very old tank with no lock)
Sorry for the thread high-jack!

SeventhWave Sat 23-Mar-19 00:40:36

If they can't measure it to take it back, how come they can measure it when they deliver it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: